Sign in to follow this  
Luke O Donoughoe

Snakepit Vs The Barclay

I actually sit in the Norwich and Peterborough and I can always hear the Snakepit outsinging the Barclay.

There is no doubt I would like to sit in the Snakepit because of the atmosphere where as im in the " dead end "

the river end is by far no where near a dead end, ok it doesnt make as much noise as the barclay, but its normally pretty loud in there.

Where do you sit? as i sit in the upper and the atmosphere is always great, and now with the infill being there its even better

[quote]Why is it that the Snakepit always out sings The Barclay these days?? It seems as though the Barclay have gone abit quiet and now the Snakepit are taking over[/quote]

Sorry are we talking about the same ground here?, there is no doubt that the barclay is always louder than the snakepit, fact indeed!

Myself...i like AJ sit in the norwich and peterbourgh, lower tier! we are actually alot louder than everone thinks we are, usually the atmosphere isnt too bad!

SNAKEPIT!? BARCLAY!?........Don''t make me pee me pants!!!! (again).

"The City Stand" is the place for atmosphere! "Ok, so the ''atmosphere'' maybe somewhat "inert"....but every game''s a bundle of chuckles". I reside in the Cathedral Lounge/area, and we have a  marvellous gathering of folk and characters'' on match days. Robber Chase is still touted as a Leg-End from the 90''s, and the aroma from moth-eaten blankets, humbugs, extra strong mints, flasks of tea, coffee and beefy bovril at halftime; make me drool like an ageing bloodhound. Watching the regulars in the lounge gorging on the biccies ("I missed lunch/dinner...honestly!") at halftime is a sight to behold....such etiquette and manners. Ignore the game, people watch instead!

A wide variety of the Norfolk populace are in attendance. There are ruddy faced farmer types, affluent types, big in the ''City'' types, I can''t quite afford a seat near Delia types, smelly/fresh types, must go to the loo ''pissistently'' types, Har Har Guffaw at poor jokes types, "right you people I''m talking now!" types, amble back to my seat after the restart- just to annoy types, unkempt/smart types, loud/quiet types, drunk/sober types, ugly/pretty types, I''m a more loyal and better fan than you! types, leave early regardless of the score types, SSHHH! I can''t hear the football! types, moan/groan we''re useless types, continually knee you in the back types, optimist/pessimist/cynical types, break wind constantly and share their halitosis types, I''m gonna'' commentate through the whole game types,.........Stare of the Devil towards you- if you dare to sing types!  Yep, it''s all there in abundance in the City Stand- and I wouldn''t swap it for the world! OTBC ;~)   

"And keep the noise down please, I can''t concentrate on my Knitting!".......

The snakepit seems louder because the roof is lower and both ends deflect the sound into the ground.

The noise from the Barclay which is a lot louder is not amplified in this way as the roof is higher and the Clarence Road end is open to the elements.

This is why it appears that the Snakepit is Louder.

The New South Stand has a similar problem especially as the noisy elements in it are the casual tickets near the away fans rather than the Season ticket holders near the river end (who will be traditional South Stand patrons).

Perhaps tehre needs to be a formal sing off at the Millwall game....

Having sat right next to the away section in the Jarrold Stand (literally in the seat next to the divide) it''s obvious that the Snakepit is louder.

Again, it''s all about acoustics. Ipswich fans are always complaining that the atmosphere at Portaloo Road is poor because of the way it''s built.

If Norwich ever build on top of the City Stand and Snakepit the atmosphere will probably never be as good

Mello Yello, Ive got truly desponant at the morosity on this board in the last few weeks, and I have quite genuinely wondered if I would ever have sufficient enthusiasm to post another message EVER. but after Tuesdays win and your posting, which is about the most amusing thing we''ve had for weeks, I feel much more positive, and I really do feel that a dozen straight wins will see us back in serious contention. Thanks a lot!

[quote]SNAKEPIT!? BARCLAY!?........Don''t make me pee me pants!!!! (again). "The City Stand" is the place for atmosphere! "Ok, so the ''atmosphere'' maybe somewhat "inert"....but every game''s a bundle of chuck...[/quote]

Brilliant post, had me in stitches, and is so TRUE!!

I sit in the corner of N&P and City Stand and blag my way into Cathedral lounge at half-time and all those people are in there!!

And my dad falls under "commentate through the whole game types". Relly pisses me off at times.

And back to the point, from where I sit I hear the Barclay over the Snakepit... The Barclay is the place I would sit if offered a choice. Being close to the away supporters to give them some sh*t also appeals to me.

Didn''t the EDP do a decibel count a few seasons back? I''m sure they did and they said the Snakepit was the loudest section of the ground to sit in

I plan to retire to the City Stand, and get a nice little bungalow right by the toilets, somewhere nice and quiet.

Until then, it''s the Lower Barclay. The only problem with that is the occasional low humming noise from my right. During a quiet spell you can sometimes hear "We''re the Snakepit, we''re the Snakepit, we''re the Snakepit over ''ere...."

What is more relevant than which section of Carrow Road is loudest is, why do the Barclay and Snakepit so often seem to be in competition with each other singing different songs? This was particularly noticeable at the Reading game. I sat in the South Stand very close to the away fans and so I was in the ideal position to hear the "competition" between the Barclay and Snakepit. All I can say is: unite and sing the same songs lads, it''s much louder and more effective that way. Before some smart-alec comes back at me and says, why were you listening and not participating in the chanting? I have to say I did join in with a lot of the chants.

[quote]What is more relevant than which section of Carrow Road is loudest is, why do the Barclay and Snakepit so often seem to be in competition with each other singing different songs? This was particularly...[/quote]

To be fair we do unite in songs most of the time, but normally the best fun is had with banter between us and the barclay. Not many away fans seem to be up for it this season!

still haven''t stopped laughing, snakepit louder than the barclay!

nice one. 10 people singing in the pit and probably the same 10 posters on here.

All the best chants come from the barclay, safri chant need i say more.

barclay leads, the 10 guys in the pit follow.

hahaahahahahahahahaha brilliant post - made me giggle.

[quote]SNAKEPIT!? BARCLAY!?........Don''t make me pee me pants!!!! (again). "The City Stand" is the place for atmosphere! "Ok, so the ''atmosphere'' maybe somewhat "inert"....but every game''s a bundle of chuck...[/quote]

sorry everyone, this is nothing to do with the thread subject but i would seriously like to nominate mello''s post as post of the year

it is brilliant and mello, you are far better than the local journos, fact.

Made me laugh and a brilliant summary of the city stand, i''ll be old enough to go in there soon 

[quote]still haven''t stopped laughing, snakepit louder than the barclay! nice one. 10 people singing in the pit and probably the same 10 posters on here. All the best chants come from the barclay, safri ch...[/quote]

You never hear the Barclay singing "We make more noise than you" to the snakepit...

In fact, you never hear the Barclay singing anything from the Snakepit...

When sitting in the River End (can''t get the hang of this N&P stuff) It varies which sounds louder of the other stands. HOWEVER I usually get to a couple of games in Barclay Lower and Snakepit each year and the SNAKEPIT has a much better atmosphere!

I often feel too old in the Barclay (I''m 37!) with the songs seeming to be sung in too high a key by the youngsters whose voices are just breaking. I''m not knocking their efforts, or ability to create a good song, but the Snakepit still do some of the old ones I remember from being a spotty kid myself (and in gruffer tones, mostly from the lads, some of the girls are a bit shriller.

Whether it''s the Snakepit''s lower roof, or because of the open side in the Barclay, the noise sounds greater in the ''pit.

The ground demographics have changed over the years, the Barclay seems to be the place to prove yourself - as close as you can to the away fans (whilst still being behind the goal!), the Snakepit is for an older crowd (just not ready for the City Stand yet!). Both stands have good atmosphere - but the Snakepit is louder

[quote]You never hear the Barclay singing "We make more noise than you" to the snakepit... In fact, you never hear the Barclay singing anything from the Snakepit...[/quote]

I wouldn''t bother singing, if we can''t hear you in the barclay what chance have the away fans!

none what so ever.

But why is it called the Snakepit?

I seem to remember that, early in the infill''s life, the cry went up from the Barclay, "Steep bit, steep bit, give us a song", because the seats are at a steeper angle in the infill. Does anyone else remember this, or am I going mad? Did "Steep Bit" become "Snakepit", or is there a cooler answer?

Was Matthew Etherington bitten by a snake as he attempted to take a corner for West Ham? Did he move further away as a result? Was that why he was sent off?

Do I really care?  Likewise I cant give a gnats chuff (in fact its the worst song in the repetoire) for the '' we are the .... over here'' (insert location in blanks) song as its no more than infighting and not giving support to the team. 

This is just another example of I am a better fan than you, this time based on where you sit.  I have always found that where you sit always seems to be the loudest - odd that isnt it.

Sometimes the noise starts in the Barclay near the away end, sometimes the middle barclay, sometimes where I sit, block A, and sometimes in the snakepit.  The key thing is that the crowd makes some noise and it is always the most impressive when the whole crowd signs at the same time - that is the way to get FCR reinstated...

OTBC

i sit in block A in the barclay.. and both are on par with each other.. sometimes the snake pit gets the barclay going and vice versa.. but i think alot of the hardened barclay fans are moving into the snakepit because you get alot of kids and women moving into that area.. not that theres anything wrong with that,,, yorkie its not for girls.. its a mans game..

[quote]i sit in block A in the barclay.. and both are on par with each other.. sometimes the snake pit gets the barclay going and vice versa.. but i think alot of the hardened barclay fans are moving into th...[/quote]

zema

a lot of kids and women in the barclay, heavens forbid, what an outrage

thing is though, when i was 13 i started going into the barclay (as a kid and a woman!) and although i have been everywhere else in the ground over the past few years, i still prefer the barclay so you will have to put up with me for a good while yet 

[quote]Do I really care? Likewise I cant give a gnats chuff (in fact its the worst song in the repetoire) for the '' we are the .... over here'' (insert location in blanks) song as its no more than infighting...[/quote]

Couldnt agree more. Id much rather we sang a song for one of the players, than another boring routine of "We make more noise than you"..."Barclay rejects"..."Snakepit over ere"..."Barclay over ere"... DULL!!

Well in the "City (morgue/retirement home) Stand", we mumble classics (after carefully removing our dentures) such as:

"We use the loo''s more than YOOSE! doo dah doo dah!"

"We''d come an'' have a go- if we could get it hard enuff!"

"Where were you? where were you? where were you in 36?"

"On the ''Pigs'' Bladder City!" (I particulary like that one).

"Dame Vera Vera giv'' us a wave, giv'' us a wave, giv'' us a wave!"

"We''ve got ''piles'' of haemorrhoids ooh! aah! ooh! aah!"

Unfortunately, my senility doesn''t allow me to recollect anymore than 6 songs- as I''m in my mid-forties y''know.....Wibble

"ON THE PIGS BLADDER CITY! ;~)

[quote]Couldnt agree more. Id much rather we sang a song for one of the players, than another boring routine of "We make more noise than you"..."Barclay rejects"..."Snakepit over ere"..."Barclay over ere"......[/quote]

Did you and Zipper take grumpy pills yesterday?

The ''infighting'' songs always sound like friendly banter to me, usually cropping up when the away fans are particularly quiet/we have total control of the game. It''s a way of saying ''You''re not worth the effort - we''ll just sing amongst ourselves'' IMHO!

(Always nice to hear something a bit more original though - give it some thought song-starters!)