Sign in to follow this  
?

Telegraph exposē on the Championship! Wow!!!

[quote user="im spartacus"]Is it about managers throwing games ?[/quote]

Very good!👍

Ta Morty. This really is the chance for the FA to throw the book at both the offending individuals and their clubs! Will they, I doubt it, much in the same way they have rigourously invoked the FFP rule infringements!

Question

If we were top of the league and looking good to go up and one of these entrapment investigations caught Alex Neil taking a few quid nothing serious just a bit of what goes on all the time, bearing in mind he''s played most of his career in the lower reaches. Would you want him sacked and put the club in unstable turmoil and promotion less likely ?

[quote user="im spartacus"]Question

If we were top of the league and looking good to go up and one of these entrapment investigations caught Alex Neil taking a few quid nothing serious just a bit of what goes on all the time, bearing in mind he''s played most of his career in the lower reaches. Would you want him sacked and put the club in unstable turmoil and promotion less likely ?[/quote]
I''ll put that a different way.
Would you take a bung?
I wouldn''t. If my love of money meant more to me than my reputation and belief in being honest I would have a very miserable life.
If our manager was dishonest and brought the good name of our club down I think he should be sacked.

[quote user="im spartacus"]Question

If we were top of the league and looking good to go up and one of these entrapment investigations caught Alex Neil taking a few quid nothing serious just a bit of what goes on all the time, bearing in mind he''s played most of his career in the lower reaches. Would you want him sacked and put the club in unstable turmoil and promotion less likely ?[/quote]Yes, without question. Just the same as anyone else who spouted on here last night about SA. Corruption in sport is doing my head in quite frankly.

[quote user="im spartacus"]Nutty Nigel

I''ll put that a different way .

Would you take a bung?

If that was the way of the world, which it seems to be then yes all day long 😊[/quote]
LOL
Is there anywhere you''d draw the line?

Has any one who works been given a bottle of drink at Christmas by a supplier, been taken out to lunch, treated to tickets for a show or a sporting event?

Is there really much difference?

[quote user="Johnny Stump"]Has any one who works been given a bottle of drink at Christmas by a supplier, been taken out to lunch, treated to tickets for a show or a sporting event?

Is there really much difference?[/quote]I think five grand in an envelope is very different!!!!Barnsley have now suspended Wright. Hasselbaink under investigation.

So it''s the size of the sweetener, rather than the actually ethics of it. Sadly goes on in all walks of life. See yesterday''s story about Royal Facilities Manager or whatever his title was..

Taking bungs to award work to "prefered" contractors.

It''s not really a sweetener though is it? It''s a bribe.

I''ve said for years that I believe there is a lot of corruption in footy. When the FIFA stuff was blown open I said to people close to me that I thought it would go further an impact domestic footy as well.

We''ve known that about continental football for a while. It was only a matter of time.

Makes a mockery of all.sorts of rules really.

The difference between the bottle of champagne or dinner from a supplier and the Telegraph investigation is that the Champagne is a thank-you for the business that you have done in the year previously or whatever. The Telegraph sting involves money before anything other business. And that is the issue.

Yes. And No.

A bottle at Christmas is thanks for the business for the previous year and is also saying I expect to carry on the relationship next year.

In the good old, bad old days of the oil industry in Yarmouth at its peak in the 1970''s there were instances of a washing machines and I even know for of a car once being given as a gift to secure past and future business.

Perhaps its not the same or to the same degree, but its a very faint line between the two.

It is also common practice in many blue chip companies to declare all gifts over a certain value for transparency, and so no accusations of preferential treatment can be raised based on undisclosed sweeteners. So quite different really.

[quote user="Johnny Stump"]Has any one who works been given a bottle of drink at Christmas by a supplier, been taken out to lunch, treated to tickets for a show or a sporting event?

Is there really much difference?[/quote]

If those are linked to you then giving that company preference or them getting influence over your decisions that could then come under the Bribery Act 2010.

Davo

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Shock, horror dirty Leeds and QPR involved. Whoever would have thought it ?[/quote]

Much as I hate to say this, but, I don''t think cellino has actually done much wrong, he''s said that if you buy 20% of the club you''ll own 20% of the player. A bit simplistic maybe but isn''t that how shareholdings work?

Difference between a bribe & a sweetener = one is for a corrupt foreigner & the other for an honest Brit?

If you think bungs are OK - and somehow the more common/visible then the more acceptable it should be - then you are part of the problem. Go & live in India or Russia to sample the logical conclusion of your view applied across the entire public & private sector. Life is not a happy or empowering experience.

you are also ignoring the whole point that bribes distort the outcomes away from best interests of those not involved in the transaction .... In this case the clubs and the fans ... as decisions (e.g. transfers) are made for the wrong reasons

[quote user="Jools"]Why is anybody on here concerned about folk making an extra quid here & there?[/quote]This kind of attitude ties in with what I mentioned earlier, ie the Telegraph has caught a few greedy people within the game snaffling a few extra thousand.Yet the subject of bookmakers owning clubs isn''t deemed an issue. Bent managers, players and match officials conspiring to fix results apparently isn''t something that''s considered to happen in this country, at least not often in the top two divisions (despite it having happened in other big European leagues).Colossal sums of money are at stake, millions rather than thousands, but we see the catching of a few minnows while the big fish are left alone.