Sign in to follow this  
Canary Poirot

Name our best defender in last 30 years

With all the post match criticism of our defenders at Newcastle, I wondered who we all think was our best defender from the last 30 years as I believe our current defenders are generally no better or worse than most of our defenders from this period.

My pick is Andy Linighan.

But some names to consider, Butterworth, Culverhouse, Bowen, Polston, Newman, Prior, Newsome, Woodthorpe, Blades, Kevin Scott, Bradshaw, Sutch, Shackell, Doherty, Fleming, Malky Mackay to name a few. Over to y''all.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Simon Charlton...

In all seriousness, Adam Drury?

Or does it have to be a CB?[/quote]

Oh god. I forgot worthington playing the dwarfish Simon charlton as a centre back when he''d been a left back all of his career. I think he even played right back for us once too...

But Adam Drury is a good shout. Very solid one on one.

You can nominate players from earlier than 30 years, but they''re just outside my ''era'' as I''m too young to know them.

[quote user="RustysRevenge"]Steve Bruce?[/quote]

Bruce left in 87 so he qualifies.Dave Watson left in 86 so he might just scrape in.

As a fan from the late 80''s.

The best two I have seen are Jon newsome and Matt Jackson.

Problem is for me they are stand out compared to the others we had.

Always love polston and butterworth but the other two oozed class.

I go back to 1967 Poirot and still pick Linighan.

Those who go back further than me often say Barry Butler. From what they tell me he''d be good shout.

An easy one for me and it has to be the pairing of Bruce and Watson. Obvious quality which was recognised well afterwards and Bruce being especially unlucky not to represent England. Their offside trap and reading of the game and communication is today unrivalled in my opinion. Plus Bruce was always one to get an important header on target.

If going back further (45 years!) Stringer and Forbes of course.

No contest, Lapps not only knows all Waveney''s aliases, but can recognise defensive quality.

There''s only one Ginger Pele.

As an all round full back, Mark Bowen for me, Bruce the best centre back.

I can''t go past Bruce for me, but very close second is Linighan and Bowen.....hard choice, but none of the recent defenders come close to the legends we had.

Dave Watson was a better player than Linighan.

Chris Sutton was actually the best centre back I''ve ever seen in a Norwich shirt.

Being of the age where I only started watching Norwich in mid nineties I''d have to say Malkey Fleming was a good partnership. Add Drury to that you''ve got a decent looking defence. We aslo had a young Green in goal.

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]With all the post match criticism of our defenders at Newcastle, I wondered who we all think was our best defender from the last 30 years as I believe our current defenders are generally no better or worse than most of our defenders from this period.

My pick is Andy Linighan.

But some names to consider, Butterworth, Culverhouse, Bowen, Polston, Newman, Prior, Newsome, Woodthorpe, Blades, Kevin Scott, Bradshaw, Sutch, Shackell, Doherty, Fleming, Malky Mackay to name a few. Over to y''all.[/quote]

Doherty was one of the worst defenders of all time.

Andrew Linighan was the best over this period.

What about selling malky mackay and replacing him with Simon Charlton. One of the strangest decisions by one of managers. That back 5 of Green Edworthy Mackay Fleming Drury was pretty decent. Haven''t have a decent centre back pairing since those 2.