Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Bassong V Bennett

How on earth can AN select slow coach Bassong instead on Ryan B beats me, and I think most of the fans who post on here. Last game was a farce putting Bassong up against the quick silver Gayle, make you question his tactical know how.

If Timm is not fit for the weekend lets hope Bassong is not even on the team coach.

Of course it could raise another question if Bassong makes the team......what is truly going wrong between the manager and Ryan B?

Quite simple.

Of the four main centre backs Timm and Bassong are primarily left sided players and RM and Bennett are right sided players.

Where Turner fits in I don''t know. One I do like the look of is Ben Godfrey ....... but is it too soon?

After seeing the others, perhaps not.

Let''s make no mistake, Ryan Bennett is not the answer.

Martin 26 international caps

Bassong 15 international caps

Klose 12 international caps

Bennett 0 international caps

Now that''s not the be all / end all but perhaps it does show succeessive managers are not alone in their thinking.

Is this an example of the Pink Un "Becchio" rule? And didn''t the Geordies score two after Bennett came on?

In reality I think its actually quite a finely balanced choice between Bassong and Bennett.

Another thing the Bassong bashers are overlooking is that by far and away our worst defensive performance priory to Wednesday night was away at Birmingham. Our central defensive combination that day was Bennett and Klose.

Both Bennett and Bassong played well when they were partnered together and we kept a clean sheet away at Everton.

What did Bennett do when he came on against Newcastle?

Not saying Bassong was without fault but all Bennett had to do was attack the ball and defend like his life depended on it. But he didn''t.

Both very limited. Bennett lacks pace and his distribution is poor. Bassong has lost a lot of pace in the last couple of years that he used to use to get himself out of trouble. Obviously has concentration issues too and I always wince when he comes out with the ball. However, when on it, I think Bassong has a bit more defensive nous about him. Bennett is a bit of a big lump of a defender. I''d have Martin alongside Klose every time though.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Martin 26 international caps

Now that''s not the be all / end all but perhaps it does show succeessive managers are not alone in their thinking.[/quote]

This is totally irrelevant Bennett is Englsh it stands to reason he has 0 international caps, so would the others if they were English. Do you think Martin had he not chosen to play for Scotland would now be gracing the England squad?

I agree Bennett is not the answer but he''s a better answer currently than the Bassong we''ve seen for the past year.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Martin 26 international caps

Now that''s not the be all / end all but perhaps it does show succeessive managers are not alone in their thinking.[/quote]

This is totally irrelevant Bennett is Englsh it stands to reason he has 0 international caps, so would the others if they were English. Do you think Martin had he not chosen to play for Scotland would now be gracing the England squad?

I agree Bennett is not the answer but he''s a better answer currently than the Bassong we''ve seen for the past year.[/quote]
I did say it wasn''t the be all / end all. But no it''s not totally irrelevant. Russell Martin has 26 caps for Scotland. He''s played centrehalf against some of the best countries in Europe. Would he have played for England? I very much doubt it. Would Ryan Bennett have played more than 26 times for Scotland? Probably not in front of Russell Martin...

I''m sorry Nutty, it is irrelevant. You have no idea how many caps Bennett would have got in a Scotland side that has had the ex-Blackburns Hanley, now Newcastle sub as the other centre back.

I''ve seen Martin have some great games for Scotland, I hate to say better for them than us in that position in most cases. A Klose-Martin combination I''m ok with, a combination of Bassong and anyone for the last year has looked on more occasions than not very poor.

We can''t really move forward with it/it isn''t. So I''ll give way first. Although to be fair it''s only relevant/irrelevant in each of our opinions.

Personally I''d pick Bennett despite the wrong footedness simply because Bassong makes so many unforced errors. Their second goal was a terrible misjudgement. Yes Bennett can be average but he does tend to do the basics better. Like heading away 40 yard punts up field.

We either improve our centre back options in the transfer window next time or we start to employ tactics that don''t rely on having to defend to win a game.

Of those 6 starts each:

R Martin 4 at home / 2 away

R Bennett 2 at home / 4 away

R Martin: 1 league one team, one second bottom team, two newly promoted teams, Newcastle and Forest

R Bennett: 1 premier league team, bottom team, Ipswich, Sheff Wed, Bristol City, Birmingham.

Stats say our defence is tighter, in harder games with Bennett over Martin.

[quote user="GJP"]Bennett is quite good at winning unchallenged headers.[/quote]
True. I tend to find he has no direction on them though, even like you say when he''s not under any pressure.
Bassong was really, really poor against Newcastle but I''m not entirely sure Bennett would have done any better.

Why wasn''t Lafferty and Becchio playing ffs, Neil out!!

Give the kids a chance, we need more experience, Wes is shit, I love Russ he my favourite, breathe in breathe out......

The inbred thought process 😳