Sign in to follow this  
Alfie54

Holding on to leads

I know we managed it yesterday but I really don''t understand why we have to defend so deeply and just keep inviting attack after attack. I appreciate that we don''t need to reckless attack but surely tightening midfield and stopping the attacks must be preferable and also stop clearances coming straight back.

It''s been a problem for years, or at least that''s how I perceive it. But maybe it''s not just us!

Was very worried how the Newcastle game would affect our mentality at the end of the Wolves game, but fair play I think we closed that out well. Yes we were under pressure but we had been for most of the second half.

I think the OP has a point - we seemed to sit deep but still allowed Wolves large spaces between our back four and midfield, which rather defeated the point. In addition we didn''t seem to make the right decisions about when to play out of defence and when to either put the ball out or give Jerome something to chase, which resulted in numerous dangerous turnovers.

Hopefully something that can be remedied.

Buy wrote the following post at 02/10/2016 3:30 PM:

Have a cracking week mate, take care.

A typically pointless response to a reasonable post by the OP. Perhaps you think you are being clever, about as clever as stating we would get thirty points from the ten games starting at Newcastle away.

👎👎👎

About as predictiable as you revelling in our defeat at Newcastle like I predicted eh crafty

It''s about to proper kick off!!!!

Or maybe I can''t be arsed

Yep, it''s the latter

Have the last word crafty, and do have a lovely week off.

[quote user="VanWink"]It''s been a problem for years, or at least that''s how I perceive it. But maybe it''s not just us!

Was very worried how the Newcastle game would affect our mentality at the end of the Wolves game, but fair play I think we closed that out well. Yes we were under pressure but we had been for most of the second half.[/quote]Yes, for years. I put it down to insisting on playing the so-called "Norwich way", dating from the heady years of success pre-EPL. Put concisely, it''s the belief that the goalkeeper and back four defend and the job of the other six is to score goals.

As long as we are at the top of the table there is no need to worry, but if things go a bit sour as they did last time we were in this division and we drop down a bit, then that defensive situation might need to be addressed a bit more urgently.  I''ve already given my ideas on making us more solid across the park, but in truth, with the players we have, we shouldn''t be having these defensive lapses.

I suspect there are many more teams across the UK, Europe and the rest of the world who typically sit deep when defending a lead. It''s all very well suggesting that what the team was doing was working so why change it but the whole dynamic of a game changes when one team goes behind. Even more so when there becomes two goal cushion to overcome. That team obviously becomes more aggressive in their attacking play, has less to lose, pushes more men further up the pitch, take more random pot shots and so forth. In some cases this can be exploited by the ''defending'' team but to do so involves an element of risk. You can bet your last Rolo a manager will come under just as much fire from his ''fans'' if he pushed more players up the pitch and conceded a late equaliser/winner as he does when his team batten down the hatches and do the same.

[quote user="Chip20"]I suspect there are many more teams across the UK, Europe and the rest of the world who typically sit deep when defending a lead. It''s all very well suggesting that what the team was doing was working so why change it but the whole dynamic of a game changes when one team goes behind. Even more so when there becomes two goal cushion to overcome. That team obviously becomes more aggressive in their attacking play, has less to lose, pushes more men further up the pitch, take more random pot shots and so forth. In some cases this can be exploited by the ''defending'' team but to do so involves an element of risk. You can bet your last Rolo a manager will come under just as much fire from his ''fans'' if he pushed more players up the pitch and conceded a late equaliser/winner as he does when his team batten down the hatches and do the same.[/quote][Y]

I think Buh adds balance when we lose. It''s just that when we win the other side aren''t there to give balance so he''s more prominent.

Very important if you have got a frisky little dog. Let go and he''s off."Hold it tighter, Elsie" as my dear departed Ron used to say. "Get a firm grip".