Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Klose loves defending

[quote user="lake district canary"]After match comments were brilliant.  Asked if he felt the pressure of having ti defend so much he laughed and said - "I''m a defender, I like defending".  [Y]   

[/quote]

👍

Simple defending, get it out and head it when needed. Top defender who has his off days, but calms our defence.

Would love to know the stats when he''s played and when he''s been out, I bet we win twice as many games with close in the line up.

Love the guy, just needs to be given the arm band, bet he''d make a great club captain.

[quote user="lake district canary"]After match comments were brilliant.  Asked if he felt the pressure of having ti defend so much he laughed and said - "I''m a defender, I like defending".  [Y]   

[/quote]He''d have had a lot more defending to do if Dorran''s was out on the left-wing [:|]

One of the best replies to an interview on the pitch I''ve seen for a while. So glad he stayed with us, he could well turn out to be the difference of us staying up or not!

[quote user="Ron Manager"]One of the best replies to an interview on the pitch I''ve seen for a while. So glad he stayed with us, he could well turn out to be the difference of us staying up or not![/quote]I think I''d have a few shillings on us doing that even if he left tomorrow....[:D]

[quote user="tired"]opinions on today''s Tettey-Dorrans pivot?[/quote]Spoke for itself [Y] Great to see people are are actually grasping the concept of it at long last [Y]

We''re certainly a better side with him in the back four

[quote user="Jools"][quote user="tired"]opinions on today''s Tettey-Dorrans pivot?[/quote]Spoke for itself [Y] Great to see people are are actually grasping the concept of it at long last [Y][/quote]Personally I''d like to see a bit more grasp of the concept from Tettey. I don''t think he has grasped the need to stay deep and central when the full backs are forward and the CBs split wider to cover them. People keep pointing to our vulnerability to long balls down the centre when attacking, of which there were several instances yesterday. It''s no good blaming the CBs when they are left so exposed.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="Jools"][quote user="tired"]opinions on today''s Tettey-Dorrans pivot?[/quote]Spoke for itself [Y] Great to see people are are actually grasping the concept of it at long last [Y][/quote]Personally I''d like to see a bit more grasp of the concept from Tettey. I don''t think he has grasped the need to stay deep and central when the full backs are forward and the CBs split wider to cover them. People keep pointing to our vulnerability to long balls down the centre when attacking, of which there were several instances yesterday. It''s no good blaming the CBs when they are left so exposed.[/quote]IIRC, when Neil first took over this was absolutely pivotal to our success. Tettey sat deep constantly, allowing the full backs to bomb on, the corresponding centre back would drift wide to cover the gap (hence the reliance on Martin at CB due to his mobility and experience of playing RB), and Tettey would slot into the centre. The formation seems to have been tweaked so Tettey doesn''t do this as often. Much as I love AN, he really does need to work on our vulnerability to the long ball over the top, especially on the break.And in response to the OP, my mates and I absolutely loved that comment. Guy''s a hero [:)]

I like Tettey but he lacks the positional discipline to be a true holding player- he can tackle and break up play really well but is prone to following the ball about and chasing it upfield when we need him to provide cover to the attacking fullbacks.

If we had £5m to spend in January I''d like to see it spent on a real, disciplined holding midfielder to help out the back four.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]Could he be our Eric Morecambe? Same height and build 😉😉😉[/quote]

I like him in Coronation Street. God knows why he married Tracey Barlow though.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="Jools"][quote user="tired"]opinions on today''s Tettey-Dorrans pivot?[/quote]Spoke for itself [Y] Great to see people are are actually grasping the concept of it at long last [Y][/quote]Personally I''d like to see a bit more grasp of the concept from Tettey. I don''t think he has grasped the need to stay deep and central when the full backs are forward and the CBs split wider to cover them. People keep pointing to our vulnerability to long balls down the centre when attacking, of which there were several instances yesterday. It''s no good blaming the CBs when they are left so exposed.[/quote]Fair comment and observation, wcc, and something I shall be keeping a close eye on.

In a league dominated by the long ball and headers its significant that he wins more headers per game than Martin & Bennett combined and 50% more than Bassong who is the second most dominant.

Of the 4 CBs used its the aerially strong Bennett that has won the fewest per game so far this season

Add in more clearances and interceptions is clear just how pivotal (whether single or double) he is to the side defensively, even when not looking at his best.

Keeping him fit is probably the single biggest success factor for this season.

As far as the playing squad is concerned I agree ZLF, and if we went out in Jan and bought an upgrade to go alongside him I''d feel very confident of going back up automatically. Despite his good performance yesterday they still had some alarming moments and times when it seemed Wolves had to score with one on ones in space and only miscontrol and taking too much time stopped it. Sadly Timm alone can''t make up fort the shortcomings of the others..........

[quote user="ZLF"]In a league dominated by the long ball and headers its significant that he wins more headers per game than Martin & Bennett combined and 50% more than Bassong who is the second most dominant.

Of the 4 CBs used its the aerially strong Bennett that has won the fewest per game so far this season

Add in more clearances and interceptions is clear just how pivotal (whether single or double) he is to the side defensively, even when not looking at his best.

Keeping him fit is probably the single biggest success factor for this season.[/quote]Picking up on the first point there, other than the overall standard, do we think defending in the Championship is a totally different animal, to in the Premiership?

I wouldn''t say it''s a completely different animal but there is probably more of a focus on aerial battles, certainly amongst the lower level of the league. However I''m not sure ZLF is correct to say the league is ''dominated'' by long balls.