Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Nothing 'bizarre' about it at all!!!!

The OP is right though. Martin and Bassong are a shambolic centre back pairing, as is proven time and time again. Doherty was poor but I don''t think even he made as many glaring errors as these two have individually and collectively over the last 3 seasons. Alex Neil deserves every bit of criticism he gets for not rectifying this situation. The fact we are still going into games with these two at the centre of defence is beyond a joke. Unless of course like many on this forum every time they cock up he just wipes it from his memory and pretends it never happened........

Buh, I don''t recall you ever gracing us with your opinion on football matters. All I can recall is you calling out absent posters when we''ve won, and jumping on posters who dare to question the performance when we''ve lost.

Is this what a real fan does, blindly accept everything that comes our way, good or bad, without questioning why?

I seriously wonder.

No a real fan waits for us to lose before popping up with an opinion claiming they knew all along.

[quote user="STFU"]Buh, I don''t recall you ever gracing us with your opinion on football matters.[/quote]Pot - kettle - black [:|]

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Hilarious how none the repliers seem to agree with me. The usual suspects post there childish responses and i can only assume that you all think Bassong and Martin are brilliant and cannot be blamed for last night, or the Liverpool mess, or Newcastle away last season.[/quote]

How many games has Russell Martin played for Norwich City?

I think for the odd error, his successful games are HUGELY, and I mean HUGELY, stacked in his favour.

And that''s a fact, not an opinion 👍

Good stuff Matt. Cherry picking four poor results over the course of two seasons to validate yourself. How stupid.

If I hand picked the Blackburn away game from this season and the Newcastle and Liverpool home games from last then Naismith would be our best attacking player.

[quote user="STFU"]Buh, I don''t recall you ever gracing us with your opinion on football matters. All I can recall is you calling out absent posters when we''ve won, and jumping on posters who dare to question the performance when we''ve lost.

Is this what a real fan does, blindly accept everything that comes our way, good or bad, without questioning why?

I seriously wonder.[/quote]

Like a bloke on your doorstep with half a can of skol on new years eve..... brings nothing to the party

Some posters seem unable to wade through the way something is portrayed to the actual point being made.

OK, so the OP may not have expressed this in a way which is to everyone''s taste but there is a valid point. Bassong in particular has long been seen as a major weakness in our defence by both fans and opposition managers and massively unpredictable. When returning after his stint at Watford he looked in good form, culminating in the Wembley game. But he also gifted the ball to Vossen out of nothing when he hit the bar just after Johnson did. And that is the issue- his frequent mistakes got caught out badly in the Prem and he has struggled this season as well. The failure to rectify our defence was in my view a massive mistake last summer, last winter and this summer and when we come up against attacking teams like Newcastle we struggle to contain them. Further inviting them onto to us by ill judged substitutions is also reckless. Our performances going forward and the Murphys goals have disguised the fragility at the back. Let us not delude ourselves that because we are 2nd we are somehow home and hosed- we are there because some very tight games have tipped our way. This last game could really affect team morale and give Ncl a boost which we could have done without and at 3-2 up after 5 mins of injury time it is deeply unprofessional to not even get a point. Let us hope that the backroom team get it sorted before the Wolves game, but the signing of at least two good defenders on January 1st is now a necessity if we are to capitalise on the attacking talent we have available by not undermining their efforts through waste at the back.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]This last game could really affect team morale and give Ncl a boost [/quote]

People said the same when they thrashed QPR.

Tumbleweed.    You mention the defence - and it is true they make mistakes - but all defenders do.  My concern is more for the apparaent paralysis that occurs - not just defensively, but with the midfield too.  Witness goals three and four on wednesday and most of the players are ball watching. Players standing around in gaps, not following runners or marking anyone. It''s a mental thing. Towards the end of a match tiredness of course plays a part - as of course does the constant pressure - but they should be aware of that and make sure they are doing their jobs. But - and it''s a big but - we only narrowly lost having been ahead and winning the match against possibly the most potent attacking force in the league and it is no disgrace to have lost.  We can all complain about Bassong - I did too - that second goal was ridiculous - but that late capitualation will be unlikely to happen again this season. We might be put under the cosh by a few teams, but not to the same intensity as we had against NCL.  Unpleasant it definitely was, frustrating and dramatic, but after two days it seems a lot less important.  As long as the team strive to improve and learn from it, it should make them stronger in similar situations in the future.  We''re still on course.  We score goals - that is important.  Just got to make sure next time we score more than the opposition!

[quote user="Jools"][quote user="STFU"]Buh, I don''t recall you ever gracing us with your opinion on football matters.[/quote]Pot - kettle - black [:|][/quote]

Indeed Jools, that made me chuckle......although both have jumped on me serve ral times on threads, Buh does frequently contribute with some good points, something lacking with others.

The OP is spot on. I genuinely fail to understand how anyone could suggest that Bassong and Martin are anything other than dreadful CBs. We could have conceded ten on Wednesday. It was on the cards the minute the pair were announced as starters. How can a CB pairing be continuously undone by a straight long ball - a ball that''s come 40, 50 and 60 yards should be meat and drink for centrebacks.

I know we are second in the league but I think our results have flattered us. We have been fortunate to get three points in a number of the games and we have largely played teams who will finish in the bottom half of the table. We have conceded too many goals for at least 3-4 years now, and whilst I appreciate the machinations of the transfer market mean it is not simple to acquire quality, surely we could have made some strides. The GA column for the last x number of seasons speaks for itself.

LDC, I like your optimism but when you say that late capitulation will not happen again this season I am not so sure. I still remember being 1-0 up at Forest (was that under Adams or Neil?) and lost 2-1, the concession of two late goals against West Ham when 2-0 up, the famous last minute concession against Liverpool, and countless late-ish second half goals last season when we couldn''t quite hang on such as at Palace away. I''d love to know how many points we have lost from winning positions in the last couple of seasons. Even against Wigan and Cardiff it was far more difficult in the last few minutes than it should have been. The defensive frailties seem to feed through the whole team making them skittish and nervous, and putting so much pressure on the forwards to take their chances that they also struggled badly last season. Alex Neil needs also to realise that you are not necessarily any more secure just by bunging on more defenders, security will come from simply keeping the ball away from your goal. I agree we will almost certainly not concede two after the fifth minute of injury time again, but I do expect lots of late drama from 1-0 positions.

Keep posting Matt you make sense even though the usual apologists vent their spleen. I would suggest to avoid reading their bile make your point and then do not get into online spats on divergent points of view. Its not seemly and only encourages the numskulls. Unfortunately come the end of the season the apologists will be eating humble pie, hope I''m wrong but feel this is an inevitability.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]LDC, I like your optimism but when you say that late capitulation will not happen again this season I am not so sure. I still remember being 1-0 up at Forest (was that under Adams or Neil?) and lost 2-1, the concession of two late goals against West Ham when 2-0 up, the famous last minute concession against Liverpool, and countless late-ish second half goals last season when we couldn''t quite hang on such as at Palace away. I''d love to know how many points we have lost from winning positions in the last couple of seasons. Even against Wigan and Cardiff it was far more difficult in the last few minutes than it should have been. The defensive frailties seem to feed through the whole team making them skittish and nervous, and putting so much pressure on the forwards to take their chances that they also struggled badly last season. Alex Neil needs also to realise that you are not necessarily any more secure just by bunging on more defenders, security will come from simply keeping the ball away from your goal. I agree we will almost certainly not concede two after the fifth minute of injury time again, but I do expect lots of late drama from 1-0 positions.[/quote]

We agree on that. The nervousness that appears has been there for several seasons.   However, Newcastle was an exceptional situation and I can''t see it happening in the same waay again. Having got to three one, we should have been ok.  The second goal killed us and I don''t care who was playing,  giving that goal away so cheaply was going to put us u sh*t creek for the rest of  the game.  It was ridiculous.  Talk about switching off.  Once that went in, there was only going to be one way traffic.  As for seeing a lot of late drama from 1-0 positions, I think you are right, but then that kind of goes with the territory, don''t you think?  A lot of 1-0''s with a scraping over the line would get us promotion.   I''d settle for that!

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]Which estate agents do you work at Matt?

I bet your sales patter is right up there.

"This house is ****ing awful, I said three months ago they should ****ing sort the roof out and the ****ing heating don''t work. Your welcome."[/quote]

Im not an estate agent Borkins.

[quote user="Diane"]Where have you been for our last 5 games which we won, Matt and please do reply?[/quote]

As we were winning i had nothing to complain about, but now we have lost catastrophically i have returned...

[quote user="Keith Scott"]The OP is right though. Martin and Bassong are a shambolic centre back pairing, as is proven time and time again. Doherty was poor but I don''t think even he made as many glaring errors as these two have individually and collectively over the last 3 seasons. Alex Neil deserves every bit of criticism he gets for not rectifying this situation. The fact we are still going into games with these two at the centre of defence is beyond a joke. Unless of course like many on this forum every time they cock up he just wipes it from his memory and pretends it never happened........[/quote]

Finally a relevant and intelligent response.

thanks KS

[quote user="Buh"]No a real fan waits for us to lose before popping up with an opinion claiming they knew all along.[/quote]

What?

What utter drivel, I have posted continously about the dire situation that is Bassong and Martin, and i post even more vitriol every time a disaster happens like Wednesday night.

[quote user="Hank shoots Skyler"]Good stuff Matt. Cherry picking four poor results over the course of two seasons to validate yourself. How stupid.

If I hand picked the Blackburn away game from this season and the Newcastle and Liverpool home games from last then Naismith would be our best attacking player.[/quote]

Yeah heres the rub Hank, Bassong and Martin didnt play together much last season, and the times they did it was a disaster, and the goals were the direct response of mistakes from either or both of them.

So you see its far from cherry picking and more an averaged out opinion based on 75% plus of their performances together.

Next moron please, im here all week...

[quote user="pete"]Keep posting Matt you make sense even though the usual apologists vent their spleen. I would suggest to avoid reading their bile make your point and then do not get into online spats on divergent points of view. Its not seemly and only encourages the numskulls. Unfortunately come the end of the season the apologists will be eating humble pie, hope I''m wrong but feel this is an inevitability.[/quote]

Thanks Pete i usually ignore the morons, depends what mood im in :)

If you''re cherry picking stuff like that, you could also say Bassong and Martin played together in the majority of our wins last season ((this is actually a fact, I''ve checked). As good as Timm Klose is, he probably only played in maybe two wins (if that) last season.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]

Next moron please, im here all week...[/quote]

By your own admission you won''t be if we win on Saturday.

quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"][quote user="Diane"]Where have you been for our last 5 games which we won, Matt and please do reply?[/quote]

As we were winning i had nothing to complain about, but now we have lost catastrophically i have returned...[/quote

That is a classic post