Sign in to follow this  
birchfest

McGovern

Fantastic save to keep it 1-0, he''s not the most spectacular, but 6 wins out of 7 with him behind the sticks.

Doing a sterling job, certainly worth his place above Ruddy ATM, keep it up!

I''m baffled when people say Ruddy should be back in (even in pre match thread today), McGovern has done nothing wrong and fully deserves to start.

It''s funny, I don''t think Ruddy would have made the save with his legs that you speak about. But I think in form, Ruddy saves the Wolves goal.

It''s just such a shame we can''t get Ruddy performing to a consistent level. McGovern has done reasonably well. He''s consistently 7/10 at this level whereas Ruddy can be 9 one week then 4 for the next two.

I''d stick with McGovern for a while and hope the break brings Ruddy''s confidence up and he can have time away from the spotlight to work on his game

I''m still not convinced to be honest. He''s a good shot stopper but as a keeper that is the minimum. He''s a bit slow to come off his line at times and his kicking isn''t great. He''ll do for now but I don''t think he''s an upgrade on Ruddy.

I personally feel most comfortable with McGovern. What a signing. Have we ever has so many great keepers at one time?
McGovern, Ruddy, Rudd. Would be happy with any of those starting.

Controversial, but I don''t rate him.

Sure he''s a decent shot stopper, but he''s not commanding enough for me.

Ruddy commands his back four and I believe gives them more confidence, which in turn leads to fewer chances created by the opposition.

Hard one to prove, but I think as a unit were stronger with Ruddy between the sticks.

[quote user="birchfest"]Fantastic save to keep it 1-0, he''s not the most spectacular, but 6 wins out of 7 with him behind the sticks.[/quote]Yep, that save was brilliant, so quick to get in the right position to stop the goal. They are both good, McGovern has the shirt and as long as we are doing well, why not? 

Ruddy has to wait his turn. I did wonder after our meltdown against Newcastle it AN would tinker but give him credit he stuck with most of the XI including McGovern and he certainly repaid the faith with that crucial save. Don''t think he could do much about the goal though sadly

Static on his line, does not command his 6 yard box. Leaves far too much ariel stuff to defenders.

Agree with Ricky, Ruddy provides a more solid combination with the CH''s. Ruddy Klosse and Bennet are the best combination we have in my opinion.

his saves in recent weeks have been very impressive and some that Ruddy probably wouldn''t have saved.

However, as others have stated he stays on his own line to much for my liking and I prefer a goalie who meets the majority of crosses - I believe it allows the defence to position a few yards further up the pitch too (i.e freekicks).

So I would prefer Ruddy in goal, however that being said he did drop a lot of crosses last year.

[quote user="ricardo"]Static on his line, does not command his 6 yard box. Leaves far too much ariel stuff to defenders.[/quote]Ruddy: Fumbles easy catches, drops the ball in dangerous situations, fails to come out for long balls, puts the defence under pressure and forces us to needlessly turnover possession and lacks communication with the centre-backs [:|]

NEXT!

All keepers will have their strengths and weaknesses - McG seems pretty decent and I don''t see why we''d drop him, but does seem slow off his line: a perfect example was v Burton last week where he nearly cost a goal hesitating before coming out to a ball he''d have won easily.

I must''ve missed Ruddys excellent kicking and lightning speed off his line.

At least McGovern is a brilliant shot stopper which is more that can be said for his rival.

As for "command of the area".... Ruddy looks likes a overly excited dolphin whilst defending corners. Flap flap flap.

Has anyone noticed, that during half time, Ruddy normally can''t be seen? The other subs are out warming up etc. But not Ruddy. Does this show he has an attitude about beeing on the bench?

Don''t give me a hard time on this, just want to know if others have noticed the same?

I think not, the management must be happy with this, if not he wouldn''t be on the bench or in the match day squad.

He has taken his chance well and at the moment the shirt is his. I''m not sure I''d be too happy starting a PL season with him as the number 1 if we get promoted though.

[quote user="Bradwell canary"]Has anyone noticed, that during half time, Ruddy normally can''t be seen? The other subs are out warming up etc. But not Ruddy. Does this show he has an attitude about beeing on the bench?

Don''t give me a hard time on this, just want to know if others have noticed the same?[/quote]It''s quite usual for players to have a bit of dressing room massage at half time, especially if their egos need it ........ [:P]

I hadn''t noticed that, I''m pretty sure he was out there at HT during the last home game?

McGovern has been playing well, you dont drop players that have been playing well especially if there''s very little in it ability wise with the replacement.

McGovern is much more agile than Ruddy and therefore, a better shot stopper, particularly with low shots. Plus the experience he''s getting at this level will only improve him but I fear JR''s days of improvement are behind him.

Has taken his chance well. Has made some great saves this season.and unless he has a couple of howlers will be the first choice this season.

McG catches and keeps hold of shots that Ruddy parries and sometimes causes panic. Its MM for me until he starts to make Rudy like mistakes.

I agree with Ricky.

He reminds me of when we had Camp on loan. Good shot stopper but his stature and physique costs us at times.

He is hesitant to come out of his 6yard box and I am uncomfortable every time he comes out to meet a cross. Mainly because without the height and physical presence he normally elects to punch it and it''s rarely convincing.

He does leave a lot of airial duties to defenders as a result and there are defenitely times he is not communicating well enough with the defence.

That said, it''s unlikely to change I imagine, and he''s part of a form team, so why change it?