Sign in to follow this  
TCCANARY

American Take Over

The new American owners of Swansea have appointed an American coach after sacking the current manager.

I''m kind of split on Swansea

They were at one time media darlings which was grinding, particularly in the early days when we were clearly better than them, but whatever. They had footballing principles and stuck to them and should be applauded for that but in other areas, namely financially, have been incredibly fortunate. How much did they get for Brendan Rodgers and joe Allen? It was like 20 million quid! We got nothing for lambert or any of our players. They jnvested that cash well but my God, talk about blessed with the transfer fees they got!

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Bob Bradley is a very good coach/manager though.

Hardly like they have just picked up someone at random from the MLS.[/quote]

That was my first thought - if it was an Asian backed team, picking a completely unknown Asian manager just to try and boost their appeal in certain markets then questions would have to be asked - although it wouldn''t surprise me if Xia actually appoint himself at Villa

As for Swansea, they were the media darlings as already said & they had a footballing identity that pre-dated Rodgers - it was Martinez & Sousa that brought it in I think. However that has now completely gone & Bournemouth have replaced them as the media darlings - Swansea are now just also rans, another team who are just desperate to get 40 points

Relegation surely beckons?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Bob Bradley is a very good coach/manager though.

Hardly like they have just picked up someone at random from the MLS.[/quote]Bethnal, I''m not doubting him but can you explain what makes you say he''s a ''very good coach''. Has he won lots of trophies wherever he''s coached, does he have a track record of turning failing teams around or is it his style/reputation? I interested to know what to expect of him.

Thing that gets on my goat about Bournemouth is that they are cheats.

Media darlings they are, and the media is ignoring their dirty side to suit their own agenda. Filthy cheats should been barred entry to the Prem. FFP rules mean absolutely nothing if all that they faced was a £7million fine. Disgusting, and the Telegraph had to dig to look for corruption?!!!

Feel for Swansea but as already said, Bradley is hardly an unknown. We''ll see if it works and it will be interesting, he certainly brought the USA onwards with their development.

Bradley doesn''t really have a great CV though does he?

He managed a mahoosive Country in the USA, but from a footballing point of view, how good was that really? He has also manged Egypt, and was managing a 2nd tier French team last week.

It may be a great coming together of the moons (as we had with Paul Lambert) but we weren''t in the Prem, when that happened.

Now I''m getting all confused. Do we want one of these American''s, a random Chinese guy or an English arms dealing ticket tout[:^)]

I like listening to Bob Bradley,

Remember reading a piece on his two years at Egypt in Sports Illustrated, also there''s a great documentary about his time there called American Pharoah.

Had no idea he''d spend the last 2 years in Steakbake and the French 2nd division.

@Crabby

It''s a pretty basic, generic stat that needs more digging in to but as a guide to if a manager is any good it''s a half decent starting point, particularly if they''ve managed a few different teams in a few different leagues.

I think there is an inherent prejudice from British fans about American players and coaches- people don''t think American''s understand the game and probably think Bradley will be trying to call timeouts or something...

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Bob Bradley is a very good coach/manager though.

Hardly like they have just picked up someone at random from the MLS.[/quote]Bethnal, I''m not doubting him but can you explain what makes you say he''s a ''very good coach''. Has he won lots of trophies wherever he''s coached, does he have a track record of turning failing teams around or is it his style/reputation? I interested to know what to expect of him.

[/quote]Good piece in The Guardian today, looks like Bradley has a good pedigree as a coach.Good Luck to him!https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/oct/03/bob-bradley-american-coach-premier-league-swansea

Their Trust are not a happy bunch......."The Supporters’ Trust is disappointed to say that this managerial

change has happened without consultation with our Supporter Director who

has been unable to report back to the Trust board on the matter.   We

have of course been aware of the speculation thanks to the constant

press reports but at no stage have we been involved in the decision to

remove Francesco from his position nor in the appointment of his

successor.Having been an integral part of the club board for 15 years we are

saddened that decisions as major as this can be taken without our

involvement, despite earlier assurances from the new majority

shareholders that they wished to work closely with the Supporters’

Trust. These representations will be made to the shareholders of the

club and our fellow directors.We are also frustrated and angry that the club have allowed the

speculation over the manager’s future to be played out in public and

want to thank Francesco and his team for their time at Swansea, in

particular the professional way in which Francesco has dealt with the

recent speculation. We wish them all the best for the future."
Clearly a 21% shareholding gives them zero influence but conversely, anybody paying £100m for a club would want complete control.It will get very interesting if things don''t improve on the pitch. [:)]

[quote user="king canary"]@Crabby It''s a pretty basic, generic stat that needs more digging in to but as a guide to if a manager is any good it''s a half decent starting point, particularly if they''ve managed a few different teams in a few different leagues. I think there is an inherent prejudice from British fans about American players and coaches- people don''t think American''s understand the game and probably think Bradley will be trying to call timeouts or something...[/quote]

True, there''s definitely a prejudice, and you''d have thought that it should be an invalid prejudice for someone who''s worked professionally in football around the world, they should be well past that level.  Whether he has experience at a high enough level for a team that aspires to be a solid mid-table Prem team is another question.  If I were a Swansea fan, I''m not sure I''d find his CV as good as I''d like.  The Prem seems to be to be on another level to his past experience.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"] Relegation surely beckons?[/quote]Surely not ?Once clubs are established in the PL their position is guaranteed ... ........... or so we have been told on here ad finitum

@ICF

Yes you can argue that but then you could make the exact same argument for Alex Neil here or even Arsene Wenger when he joined Arsenal.