Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Barnet (a) Tuesday night....

Does anyone know if these matches are classed as first team or U23 in terms of appearances and goals? For all intents and purposes, it''s a first team fixture just subject to certain restrictions but I can''t see any appearances or goals logged in any recorded stats anywhere.

4-0 Oliveira, sorry ''Oliviera'' as Butler/Daley/Ashton insist on calling him.

Cheers NN, that''s what I suspected.

Seems a bit of a shame for the lads playing/scoring as although they''re in an U23 team, it''s effectively a first team match vs first team opposition.

If we played Barnet/Peterborough etc in a normal cup match, the team we''d put out probably wouldn''t be a great deal different.

So if the appearances and goals don''t count according to the record books, what happens if an U23 team actually wins the trophy, does that count?!?

It''s not u23s though, it''s actually under 21s but with 5 overage players... Which just confuses the categorisation of matches even more!

For all of the b1tching about devaluing the cup and how it''s awful for the league 1&2 clubs, after two games I think that it''s only us and Leicester that have qualified (and that''s only because they won a penalty shootout) out of all the academy squads, quite a few of them can''t even get through now! I''ve been very impressed so far by our boys, yes most of our 11 goals(!) Have been scored by the overage players but even so you can''t call the team that experienced...

Probably not Clint. It''s not a shame for me because I pledged a quid each appearance and a quid each goal for these youngsters. It''s already costing me £20 a month ;)

The futures bright though. I mentioned Odusina and it seems he had another good game tonight. Then there''s Glenn Middleton who''s been playing U21/3 since he was 15. I hope we ask going to go through a period like Southampton did. Yo never know....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Probably not Clint. It''s not a shame for me because I pledged a quid each appearance and a quid each goal for these youngsters. It''s already costing me £20 a month ;)

The futures bright though. I mentioned Odusina and it seems he had another good game tonight. Then there''s Glenn Middleton who''s been playing U21/3 since he was 15. I hope we ask going to go through a period like Southampton did. Yo never know....[/quote]Eddie, do you or anyone else know about Todd Cantwell''s development? Apparently Arsenal were sniffing around him at one point, but Ray Grant got the nod ahead of him tonight. Is he a box-to-box midfielder, or does he veer more towards the holding role? Or attacking midfield? Heard his name a lot, but not seen him play...

I saw him last week against Portsmouth Wolfie. He had a played well after playing himself into a competetive encounter. Usually plays attacking MF. Perhaps what now gets referred to as "No. 10" or "in the hole". Although they were fags and golf when I played football. I was rubbish and if there''d been a hole I would have fell down it[;)]
It''s frightening when you think how strong we are. In just that position we have Wes, Pritchard, Maddison and Cantwell. Maybe because people think we''re little old Norwich that they don''t see what''s happening at the club.

You haven''t even mentioned Naismith in that position. Not that he''ll get much of a look in!

Those Murphy boys are flying. If they were out and out strikers their goal ratios would be superb, but given they''re both midfielders it''s nothing short of outstanding 👍

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I saw him last week against Portsmouth Wolfie. He had a played well after playing himself into a competetive encounter. Usually plays attacking MF. Perhaps what now gets referred to as "No. 10" or "in the hole". Although they were fags and golf when I played football. I was rubbish and if there''d been a hole I would have fell down it[;)]
It''s frightening when you think how strong we are. In just that position we have Wes, Pritchard, Maddison and Cantwell. Maybe because people think we''re little old Norwich that they don''t see what''s happening at the club.
[/quote][:)]Super stuff, thanks Eddie. I know he''s ''only 18'', but part of me wonders if we do wrap these lads in cotton wool a bit. It''s not uncommon for teams in the top two divisions to throw their brightest talents into the first team early to see how they fare. I''m not suggesting that our lads are as talented as Walcott, Bale, Sterling, Rashford et al were at 17, but if there are one or two that stand out, I find it a little perplexing why they don''t seem to get a look-in until they''re 20-odd. But – to use one of your catchphrases – what do I know? I get that we have a very strong squad this season, but I think historically (or the last 15 years at least) we''ve been too shy to give these lads a go when the senior pros have been underperforming.

Maybe Wolfie. I used to see these players playing U21 in what I would term slightly competetive games. I think the Cup competitions they''ve played in over the last week are far more competetive and I''m heartened that our players, especially the really young ones, have coped very well. I think the next when they''re old enough the next logical step for Cantwell, Odusina, Middleton etc would be a loan.

[quote user="Jacko"]You haven''t even mentioned Naismith in that position. Not that he''ll get much of a look in![/quote]
I don''t see Naismith in that position although he can play it. Jacob Murphy also played there while at Coventry. But I see Naismith playing right/left so for those positions I guess we have : -
Jacob
Brady
Josh
Naismith
Canos
Jarvis
I''d love to add Glen Middleton (Hopefully one day).

Due to kids sports on the weekends it’s difficult get to many games at the mo so this was my first appearance of the season. I arrived at 7pm watched a bit of the warm up for a few minutes then retired to the bar with a few of the Capital Canaries. Decent new stadium with excellent facilities, just a shame as to how Barnet came about the ground. But that’s whole different story.

Our team was a strong one and although Barnet tried hard early and created a few openings mainly on their left side we didn’t look like conceding and worked our way into the game. Thompson was booked for a nothing tackle and when their No5 went through Josh the ref couldn’t wait to get the red card out. It wasn’t a good tackle but was not a dreadful one. Not a red for me.

Good to score just before h/t and it was over in contest 2nd half when City scored a second having cleared a ball off our line only a minute earlier, it was then just a matter of time as regards how many we scored.

As regards some of observations about the team, Ray Grant looked very tidy, Ben Godfrey going to be some player in my not so learned opinion. And Barnet had a player who was smaller than Pritchard.

Norwich were represented pre-match by 101 year old Maurice Sills who was a guest of Barnet FC, it was good to see him again and looking well. When I looked after the Capital Canaries home Maurice was a regular on the trip to Norwich up to the age of 97!

Anyone found highlights/goals for this?

I remember when Bellamy made his debut as a sub, about 16/17 and he looked tiny. I remember it being against Man City in the 2nd tier back in the day and at one point Bellers was competing with one of their CBs for the ball on the ground, the CB was at least a foot taller and trying to push Bellers off the ball, and someone near me shouted "Oi ref, that''s not fair". But credit to Bellers, he made their guy work for it and you could immediately see there was something special about him.

Hi ICF, highlights are now on you-tube.

Not included my report is that that I missed the first few minutes of the 2nd half as I was finishing my pint of cider; it was Strongbow but they also had Strongbow dark fruit on tap. You don’t get that level of in-depth analysis in the EDP every day.

Your story of a young Craig Bellamy reminds me of when I saw him play for the reserves at Harrow Borough vs QPR, might have been some time around late 1997. He looked very lively that evening, scored a very decent winner in a 1-0 win. Gunny was in goal and he sighed a book for me at half time wearing his goal keeping gloves so the signature was a bit strange.