Sign in to follow this  
Hoola Han Solo

Dorrans on the left - yes or no?

In light of some posters who think Graham Dorrans could play left midfield for us, I wondered what other posters think.

For me it''s a complete no:-

- Brady, both of the Murphy''s, Pritchard, Canos, and even Wes can play the role more effectively.

- If we were to play him there for defensive reasons, Dorrans isn''t great in this respect. He''s a bit weak in the tackle, lacks pace and hasn''t played this role very much in his career at all.

- Dorrans has hardly ever played on the left in his entire career and even then this was several years ago.

- He hasn''t got the pace or trickery to be an effective winger.

- The opposition would know he''s not comfortable there and he''d be targeted.

- A player like Dorrans is far better in the middle, where his range of passing, positional awareness and reading of the game makes him a good asset.

- As well as the above, I can''t ever imagine Alex Neil playing him there.

So do any posters genuinely think he could play on the left for us? And if so, what are your reasons? I''ve highlighted several of my own opinions above, do you agree/disagree?

Or, if you like, just reply with YES or no, a straw poll if you like.

Ok, I''l bite.  Could he play left?  Yes, but Brady on form is the first choice. Johnson did ok there and he didn''t have great pace or trickery and  Dorrans has good history of playing on the left.  Well it beats talking about Brexit and Ukip..........[^o)]

In our current system? No.

Our wingers play high up the pitch and run at players. There is lots of quick interchanges with overlapping fullbacks or Wes that I don''t think suits Dorrans and I can''t say I''ve ever seen him take on a man one on one. Also I like him in the middle- he is great at showing for the ball and taking it from our defence, starting attacks from deep and showcasing his range of passing. If you play him higher up the pitch it limits his range and removes our best ball players from the centre of midfield.

Leave Tettey and Dorrans at the back of our midfield.

Its then Jacob Murphy or Howson on the right. If Howson then you have the option of Jacob or Pritchard on the left

He is a good enough footballer to play anywhere across the midfield in a championship side and do a decent job IMO but there are many in the squad who AN would pick before him on the left.

He could probably fill in there as a short term measure if the rest of our players who could play left wing were struck down with gastroenteritis or ebola.

Otherwise, no.

I''ve given myself a slap on the wrist for my could/should faux pas but so far the majority of contributors have the opinion that playing Dorrans on the left isn''t a good idea.

So what the majority are saying is that the idea of Dorrans playing on the left is just plain daft.

That''s that cleared up.

Lakey, I believe you chose a team that had Dorrans as left midfielder, therefore inidicating you would like him to play there.

My question has mainly been answered with the notion that he shouldn''t play there for us.

No one is wrong or right, but the vast majority have the same opinion.

Heard the one about the failed tactician, the failed comedian and the failed moderator?

No, it''s not a joke, and nor is the fact that Lake District Canary, Bor and Morty are ruining this message board.

The question was COULD he play on the left and the answer a good proportion of people who answered that said - yes, he COULD, but not in the present system (which funnily enough was my premise in the Wolves thread - to change the system to a more defensive one).    If you are going to be judge and jury, at least be fair, but then being fair, isn''t your strong point, is it?

So people have answered a question you did ask, but you''re going to take their answer as being their answer to your revised question.  I see....I think.   Do you think you ought to start again?  [:^)]

Everybody knew what I meant - the name of the thread says Dorrans on the left - yes or no.

I maybe got the wording a bit wrong but everybody that has replied has mainly said no.

My point tw@hat is that I could play on the left. But it''s not going to happen, is it?