Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

teams that have been in the Premiership -best grounds

Well that''s hardly a suprise, with the amount of new stadiums over the last 20 years and the huge stadiums.

Maine Road, Highbury and Goodison Park and my favourites that I''ve been to aside from CR of course.

Stamford Bridge, Craven Cottage, Dean Court and in a league of it''s own for crapness...Selhurst Park are the worst.

Not really considering when the likes of Oldham, Swindon, Wimbledon and Ipswich were in the PL. A couple of years before my time!

Never sunk so now when the fat controller was in charge. In fact one season we had the third best stadium in the country. The cook and her cohorts have a lot to answer for.....

Best away ground for me was Goodison. St James'' Park is pretty spectacular too. White Hart Lane is usually a fun day out too.

St Andrews was pretty grim and I wasn''t that taken with Villa Park either. Maybe something about Birmingham?

Strange, my worst three Premier League grounds are Selhurst, Anfield & Goodison all because the views (if you are short) from the away end are lousy. Guess it depends what you want in a ground. My priority is to be able to see.

Depends what you define as being the best.

For the quality of the facilities it''s got to be the Emirates.

For character and soul I''d probably go for Goodison.

In terms of the worst grounds, as someone has already alluded to I find watching football at St Andrews and Villa Park totally joyless - which is also how I regard Birmingham as a place generally.

Some of the generic flatpack stadiums in particular St Mary''s left me very underwhelmed partly because they''re also miles away from the city centre.

@Tiger

Maybe I was just lucky but I had a great view at Goodison. Worst views I''ve had were at Selhurst and Portman bloody Road.

Anybody go to the likes of Goodison or Roker Park in the ''old'' days? When the terracing was not all above ground level? People moan about the views now!

In those days there were some awful views, sometimes due to the fences (Binners), or floodlight pylons (Brighton)

"Those were THE days my friend................"

Ha ha, yes Inchy, I nearly added another line about Filbert Street (I was there when we won 4-1, when we were both looking for promotion, back in the early 80s) and how I was at the back of the stand that day, and it was crap!

Personally I hate Old Trafford because of the tiny seats which they''ve used to squash in as many as possible.

Aside from that I like the quirkiness of different grounds.  CR I can''t pass judgement on because it''s where City play and therefore sacred earth.

It''s Character Forming wrote: "Personally I hate Old Trafford because of the tiny seats which they''ve used to squash in as many as possible.
Aside from that I like the quirkiness of different grounds. CR I can''t pass judgement on because it''s where City play and therefore sacred earth."
Can I ask you to list your favourite airlines then ICF, seating-wise I mean. Or maybe you always fly business class? [;)]

Too many modern football grounds look exactly the same, I feel this is due to every club using  Populous as the design engineers. Look at Huddersfield, Southampton or Bolton 

It''s a bit of a joke list imo. Rates the Emirates highly, then says further down about Highbury that Arsenal have never been the same since they moved. They can''t have it both ways.  And how St James Park rates highly, I don''t know. Lop sided and way too high.

Although I detest Wolves with a vengeance I think their ground is very smart and must be one of the best medium sized stadiums in Europe.On Selhurst Park they laughably say " The Eagles home needs some work done to freshen it up ". They probably would have said that about Berlin in 1945.There''s nothing a few tons of TNT can''t fix......