Sign in to follow this  
Chippy Minton

AFC Wimbledon 👏

Above MK Dons in league 1. How good must that feel for the true Wimbledon fans? A great reward for sticking with their club - as all true fans do.

It only died on its arse after the decision to move to MK was approved. If Milton Keynes was so desperate for a football league team why didn''t they do what AFC have done and start in the depths of non-league and work their way up, rather than effectively stealing another club from its fans? Or was it more to do with a property deal to build a retail park and huge supermarket that would only be passed with an enabling development (i.e. Football stadium).

[quote user="Chippy Minton"]No hatred for MK Dons nor judgement on the Wimbledon of old, just admiration and pleased for the true fans, is that ok?[/quote]

Yes of course it is , although our other contributor on this thread seems a bit worked up 😁.

Pete winkleman is an annoying upbeat prick with a terrible hair cut but I can''t help liking his enthusiasm.

Maybe that would be the price of "progress". I am sure some on here would welcome the multi-millions of pounds and consider a drive to the Kings Lynn Doritobowl every home game as well worth the inconvenience.

Thinking back to when Wimbledon basically shut down, the fans must have been distraught. A cup winning club with all their history just upped and left. Imagine NCFC closing and moving to another county......Fantastic that AFC Wimbledon have got to where they have.  Shows that the heart of the old club stayed in Wimbledon with the community there.  

Well I detest MK Dons. The decision of the old crones at the FA to allow the club to be up and lifted to a different city completely at odds with the wishes of it''s supporters, history and community was a disgrace. I understand that the FA has since acknowledge that the decision was wrong and have changed their rules to make sure it cannot happen again.

I have no issue with MK having a league football team but they should have battled through the non-league structure just like AFC Wimbledon have done. They had a ready built stadium and plenty of cash so it was well within their capabilities. But no they saw the chance to take someone else''s team and did that instead. No respect for them at all.

I go to watch AFC occasionally and was at Wembley when they won the play-offs - bringing back even happier memories of our game there the previous May Spring bank holiday. There''s certainly not a lot of love for MK Dons among th supporters!

Their move back to Merton has thrown up a slightly odd situation, though - they currently groundshare with Kingstonian (whose ground it used to be, but they took over ownership due to Ks financial wobbles), and the sale of the ground to Chelsea (to use for their youth/ladies teams) will leave Kingstonian homeless at the end of the season.....it is a little ironic that AFC moving back where they belong has brought about the homelessness of another club, and they are obviously aware how it might look, but I think most are sympathetic and they have given Ks some funding (and they will have to groundshare elsewhere).

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Well I detest MK Dons. The decision of the old crones at the FA to allow the club to be up and lifted to a different city completely at odds with the wishes of it''s supporters, history and community was a disgrace. I understand that the FA has since acknowledge that the decision was wrong and have changed their rules to make sure it cannot happen again.

I have no issue with MK having a league football team but they should have battled through the non-league structure just like AFC Wimbledon have done. They had a ready built stadium and plenty of cash so it was well within their capabilities. But no they saw the chance to take someone else''s team and did that instead. No respect for them at all.[/quote]I think if you check the facts Hairy, you''ll find that "the old crones at the FA" were actually opposed to the move, as were the Football League. Those in control of the club would not take "No" for an answer, and eventually the FA agreed to appoint an independent commission to decide the issue. It was the decision of that commission that the move should be allowed. 

There''s a good book worth reading called "This is our Time" by Niall Couper that gives an insight to what happened WCC. It really is remarkable story.

Those in control of the club wouldn''t take no for an answer! The move couldn''t happen without FA sanction. What were they powerless against the might of Wimbledon FC all of a sudden? They bottled the decision by giving it to an independent commission because they didn''t have the balls to stand up and do the right thing.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]There''s a good book worth reading called "This is our Time" by Niall Couper that gives an insight to what happened WCC. It really is remarkable story.

Those in control of the club wouldn''t take no for an answer! The move couldn''t happen without FA sanction. What were they powerless against the might of Wimbledon FC all of a sudden? They bottled the decision by giving it to an independent commission because they didn''t have the balls to stand up and do the right thing.[/quote]Not powerless against the might of Wimbledon, Hairy. The fact that, ex post facto, the FA rewrote their rulebook is an indication that the real "might"involved was that of the courts. Furthermore, the fact that the independent commission decided in Wimbledon''s favour can be taken as an indication that, if the case had gone to court, Wimbledon would likely have won. 

Branston- I thought that Chelsea were allowing Kingstonian to still use the ground?

The other irony is that WFC are moving onto and redeveloping the dog track, so effectively closing out the last remaining dog track in London and leaving the folk who use it without anywhere else to go.

I remember going to the old Plough Lane ground, its got to be one of the worst places ever to have existed where you could watch football. And always with an absolutely bitter wind blowing across the stand.

I''m not sure that''s on offer, tumbleweed - there was something in the local paper the other week that they have 3 possibles, it was assumed they were local non-league sides. Corinthian Casuals would be my bet - still within the borough (and pretty close to where I live, for the 5-6 games we go to each season!).