Sign in to follow this  
johncolt

The 'Young' Murphy's

Wayne Rooney played his first England game at, I think, 17. Why are the Murphy''s still being referred to as ''youngsters'' ?

It''s a good question - I think Rooney''s physique made the transition to the men''s game easier than for a lot of youngsters. You only have to see the difference in the physique and stature of the Murphys in the last few months to see that they are much more up to the task than they were than even  a year ago.  All players develop differently, but Rooney was an exception, not many like him physically at the age he broke into the first team. 

Well there''s a hell of a lot of difference between Rooney and most other players at 17. I read somewhere that the average age for a player breaking into a Premier League side nowadays is 23.

a lot of players dont start first team football till they are 25 ish

but then people on here say players are over the hill and past it at 29 so...

Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]To be fair to Rooney his footballing ability also had a lot to do with it. I remember a 16 year old Tom Huddlestone playing against Norwich, he was a very big unit and talented but has not had the same success as Rooney......

Once Tom is the new James Bond I doubt he will even give playing Footie a second thought

Players are ready when they are ready

Should Grant Holt have been written off because he wasn''t playing for England at 18?