Sign in to follow this  
mighty yellow

Houghton in...

[quote user="The young canary"]Great prestige for the club if one of our own becomes national manager I hope he gets it.

Would love to see England play his style of football especially with Scotland coming up![/quote]Don''t get greedy.......we''ve already given them Mike Bassett [:D]

Yes, the advantage of watching on a stream is that you don''t get quite as depressed having to leave the ground after a poor performance and indeed it''s free of charge. You never get a proper sense of the atmosphere or mood huddled around your laptop either.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Yes, the advantage of watching on a stream is that you don''t get quite as depressed having to leave the ground after a poor performance and indeed it''s free of charge. You never get a proper sense of the atmosphere or mood huddled around your laptop either.[/quote]Depends on the size of your screen... [;)]

Nice guy but during his time here it seemed his mantra was............ we go into a game at 0-0 that gives us a point, lets keep that point.

Surely it was Hughton not Houghton?

His football style with us was dour but I think he wanted to be pragmatic and was focused on marginal gains and winning ugly. We had a weak squad, admittedly partly because he squandered millions on Ricky Van and Hooper, but the style of play was to minimise our chances of defeat - as he saw it. Ultimately we were one win away from staying up and while I accept the style of play was woeful, the players did try hard and kept working. If nothing else, he seems to be able to lead and motivate a team.

For England though, I can''t see it. We are not a strong team, everyone knows this, and I suspect he would set us up to "not lose" with dreary and probably disastrous results.

I liked the Hoots, but admittedly never had to sit through many performances in person as my support was generated by a small screen usually covered in the spray from the many cans of Fosters necessary to watch all those defeats. One Snoddy was often enough, two were pushing it a bit.

He was actually more of an astute tactician than some think and put out a series of videos on tactics which were well received within the game.

Prior to him coming to Carrow Road, and since, his teams have shown enough attacking intent to suggest that his period in Norfolk was a ''blip.'' His current Brighton team serve up much better fayre than anything witnessed by those supporting the yellow and green during the Hughton years, accepting the different level.

As has been said, he did well in his first year just by keeping us up. Following Paul Lambert and managing to achieve this was, IMO, one of the hardest jobs in football that season.

The Hoots did not actually relegate us, Adams (or rather Mad McNally) did and the timing of his sacking made us a laughing stock with ''Mr. Nice Guy'' becoming ''the victim'' for the second time in his career. Hence another of the reasons why he is well liked in the English game and now leading to suggestions of him taking the biggest job.

The Wolfswinkle failure did his prospects immense damage, as it was a big, big blow to the ''psych'' of the whole club at the time. There was no black and white there it was a total disaster which brought our subsequent displays down several notches.

I actually always thought that there was a chance of ''Houdini'' Hughton keeping us up that season but the dye had been cast and perhaps took that bit too long to dry.

Interesting to think of how we would have succeeded with him given the task of effecting a quick return. I would suggest that he could well have achieved this. Then we move on to AN''s season at the top and it''s then interesting to consider whether the Hoots would have done better.

All surmise though. The end justifies the means and we are now in a good place.

I would never want to lambast Chris Hughton and feel he could make a very fine manager of the National team.

In fact I''m beginning to like the idea a lot.