Sign in to follow this  
mighty yellow

Houghton in...

for England:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/14798145.Albion_boss_would_be_a_good_fit_for_England_job/

I don''t even think he''s joking. I''ve always hated Phil Brown.

P.S. Anyone want to remind me how to post a link again? It''s been a while.

His track record of spotting talent, bringing in quality players and his passion for creative attacking football would make him a must have for our national side.

Didn''t we just have a 0-0 against Slovenia?.

Maybe he already has it.

What a job to get, go on the fiddle and reap the benefits

Big Sam enjoying the millions and the sun

Oh to be a crook and live a crooked life

Of course he''s a good fit.1) Conducts himself professionally and speaks respectfully of others2) Plays some of the worst football I''ve ever seen, which is exactly what England have been doing for the past 10-15 years3) Will boost the FA''s reputation for appointing a black manager amidst all the current racism in football hassles.4) Isn''t going to cost as much as the likes of Hodgson or ErikssonIn truth, if it wasn''t for the god awful football we played under him, I''d still be happy to have him here as I think the way he conducts himself in relation to the club and the respectful way he speaks, is far better than the vast majority of managers out there. But the football, dear god, the football....

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Of course he''s a good fit.1) Conducts himself professionally and speaks respectfully of others2) Plays some of the worst football I''ve ever seen, which is exactly what England have been doing for the past 10-15 years3) Will boost the FA''s reputation for appointing a black manager amidst all the current racism in football hassles.4) Isn''t going to cost as much as the likes of Hodgson or ErikssonIn truth, if it wasn''t for the god awful football we played under him, I''d still be happy to have him here as I think the way he conducts himself in relation to the club and the respectful way he speaks, is far better than the vast majority of managers out there. But the football, dear god, the football....[/quote]

Agree with your points, but about the football.......    I witnessed several games the two seasons he was at Norwich and every single one was competitive and played in good spirit, with good performances from the players.  We didn''t win all of them but the fooball was certainly not dour.  But every time I came on here and said about what I''d seen, you''d get people saying the opposite - no, it had been a terrible game, terrible football etc etc - when it plainly wasn''t.   To say people had fixed views about him and the football is an understatement.   I took a heck of a lot of stick for saying good things about Hughton, but to me the entrenched views of the anti-hughtons were every bit as bad as the things I was accused of.   So why were people really so against him?   Because we didn''t score goals. If we''d scored just four or five more goals, we would have stayed up. Why didn''t we score goals? The midfield would give the ball away too easily,  the wingers were too ineffective, the attackers didn''t get enough chances to get their confidence and we let in soft goals.  You can blame the manager for that to a certain extent but for me the players were just as much to blame, if not more so. I''ve given Snodgrass plenty of stick - and I stand by that, but he was not the only one at fault.  Look at Hughton every where else he''s been - goals, success and good football.   He''s doing well with Brighton.    Hughton for England?   Well Ramsay set up a very defensive team in the sixties and he won the World Cup............

Maybe if you had watched a few more than several games you would have formed a different view. The football was some of the most boring I have witnessed at CR with players static and nervous about getting out of their own half. To watch grinding displays like that and often still lose at the end of it is depressing to say the least. Of course that''s a generalisation but it''s the enduring memory of his era for me.

[quote user="lake district canary"]To say people had fixed views about him and the football is an understatement.[/quote]Where do you think those views came from LDC?You don''t get such a strong consensus surrounding the quality of the football we were playing (or lack of it) from nowhere. The fact is that most fans thought we played poor football under Hughton. He didn''t utilise the players he had to the best of their ability, the setup was static, defensive and lop-sided. He signed strikers that simply wouldn''t work in the system he was so set on playing and even when it was clear it wasn''t working, he still kept at it regardless, and decisions such as bringing on a defensive midfielder when LOSING instead of at least trying to go for the draw/win was pathetic.If you could match Lambert''s football and ability to get players to perform well above their expected level, along with Hughton''s professional demeanour, conduct and presentation, you''d have a manager to be truly feared and impressed by, but without that blend, I''ll take the guy who gives us good football to watch rather than someone who talks about good football but never gets us seeing it...

VanWink wrote the following post at 14/10/2016 9:33 AM:

The football was some of the most boring I have witnessed at CR with players static and nervous about getting out of their own half. To watch grinding displays like that and often still lose at the end of it is depressing to say the least. Of course that''s a generalisation but it''s the enduring memory of his era for me.

............ but it''s an excellent generalisation that I fully agree with.

So....

"I witnessed several games the two seasons he was at Norwich and every single one was competitive and played in good spirit, with good performances from the players."

"Why didn''t we score goals? The midfield would give the ball away too easily, the wingers were too ineffective, the attackers didn''t get enough chances to get their confidence and we let in soft goals."

Contradicting yourself in two paragraphs is excellent work. This is why you get stick; you spout gibberish.

The majority of Norwich fans would have agreed, whilst not all necessarily wanting him sacked, that the football we played was dour, turgid and lacking ambition. We looked scared to attack most teams.

As for the players, he bought a few that didn''t fit the system we played, most noticeably RvW. However, one of his other signings, Snodgrass wasn''t too bad at all and we made a nice profit on him. Alas, we made a massive loss.

If I were to do a poll, which I''m not, I''d expect most Norwich fans to say they didn''t like the football Houghton played.

When you get a clapper thrown at you and a toxic atmosphere, you know your management isn''t overly popular and he was deservedly sacked.

at least he spouts something. do you actually just come on here for an argument? honestly think you could argue with a recording on loop saying "I agree"

Great prestige for the club if one of our own becomes national manager I hope he gets it.

Would love to see England play his style of football especially with Scotland coming up!

so where abouts in Scotland are you from then...

the funny thing is, you look at Brighton and Newcastle under Hughton and they are exciting, attacking teams. I think he messed up his recruitment at Norwich and that''s what mainly cost him. we all knew he could sort our defence out but he relies on his attacking players to show more initiative as he''s not a natural attacking coach.

Between them, our attackers he put blind faith in let him down and he eventually (4 months too late) paid the price.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]So....

"I witnessed several games the two seasons he was at Norwich and every single one was competitive and played in good spirit, with good performances from the players."

"Why didn''t we score goals? The midfield would give the ball away too easily, the wingers were too ineffective, the attackers didn''t get enough chances to get their confidence and we let in soft goals."

Contradicting yourself in two paragraphs is excellent work. .[/quote]

How nice of you to comment.  However, there is no contradiction in there and there is no gibberish.  Spirit, performance and being competitive is one thing, scoring goals and letting in soft goals is something else.Your views on the football may be different to mine, but comments like "This is why you get stick; you spout gibberish", in this case at least, make you look a tad stupid.

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Between them, our attackers he put blind faith in let him down and he eventually (4 months too late) paid the price.[/quote]Absolute ballcocks.Our attackers failed due to overly defensive tactics, glacial attack speed, complete lack of good supply and a manager who would rather defend a loss than actually fight for a result.Holt proved he could score plenty before Hughton - After Hughton arrived his tally halvedRvW scored plenty before coming here - Under Hughton he was mis-played and performed poorly because of itHooper scored plenty before coming here - Under Hughton he struggled to even hit double figuresBecchio scored plenty before coming here - Under Hughton he was ostracised and given ZERO chance to perform (not saying he was the answer either)EVERY SINGLE STRIKER failed under Hughton, and that''s regardless of previous tallies or performances, so to put the blame on them instead of the guy who orchestrated that failure is just non-sensical.

I was an away season ticket holder throughout Hughton''s reign. Horrendous stuff week in, week out. The saddest part was how low the players seemed in confidence. He forced a system upon them that none of the players seemed comfortable with, and squabbling between our own players became increasingly common as the season went on. As soon as we went behind, you knew we had lost. The crunch game against Fulham, the chance to save our season, and we didn''t show up.

The preceding summer, we had a decent squad, had gained some pulling power after spending two years in the top flight, and had significant funds to invest in the squad. Houghton blew it. In a little under two years, we had become a husk of the exciting attacking/counter-attacking outfit that I felt could score at any moment. I was proud of the team under Lambert. There was no pride in that last season in the Prem.

don''t take my comments the wrong way, I absolutely blame hughton for screwing up our attack. it was a weakness in his coaching and management repatoire that he got away with at Newcastle as they had a premiership class midfield and a fully fit and motivated Andy Carroll.

Under us, our attack looked so disjointed it was like the wingers wanted to do one thing and the attackers the complete opposite. the likes of Leroy Fer and gary hooper could have tried harder seemingly as well though they like Mulumbu now seemingly had constantly niggling injuries that dogged them.

players like RvW just weren''t good enough to take initiative. Holt worked well under a more gung-ho and aggressive manager and didn''t do that bad under hughton really but he would have needed some incredibly talented players to make up for his incompetence at attack coaching at premiership level. it was hardly all bad under hughton though. while it was boring, he masterminded that 10 game unbeaten run including that win vs man u and he continues to impress at Brighton.

when it got to December in his last season with us though, it was clear his number was up and we either needed significant money to transform our attack or a new, more gung-ho coach to try get the best out of what was a limited bunch of players through sheer work rate and confidence like Lambert managed.

Katie Borkins wrote the following post at 14/10/2016 12:01 PM:

"do you actually just come on here for an argument?"

"Some days yes, some days no. "

It all depends which account he''s using TJ😉

A lot of the problems Holt experienced under Hughton were more to do with Colin Calderwood and their previous run in when they were at Forest.

Have to be honest and say Hughton can be a very effective manager. Staying up in that first season highlighted that.

However the second season made his limitations clear to all, and the downside of being such a defensively minded manager is when you''re not picking up points there''s literally nothing else to fall back on. With Lambert he''d always be able to fall back on making it clear wed had a go at teams even if we had lost a few on the bounce.

There''s a time and a place for Hughtons style but it wasn''t with that squad in that season.

Would be a pretty terrible appointment for England and highlight how desperate the national team has become.

Seen as play much worse football than under Houghton.

Have to give it a bit of context, he was trying to keep us in the Premier League. Not like others who have served up dross below Prem level.

He signed some players that improves us and some that didn''t. PL, NA, and AN have all done the same.

[quote user="GJP"]He signed some players that improves us and some that didn''t. PL, NA, and AN have all done the same.[/quote]True, but they didn''t play the god awful brand of football that Hughton did in the process.Even going down under AN when we should really have stayed up, we still weren''t playing anywhere near the dire football we saw under Hughton and at least we gave it a good go in some games rather than running scared of every other team, giving them all too much respect and trying to play with 9-10 men behind the ball in a misguided attempt at defensive stability (which in fact lead to us conceding MORE than under previous managers with a more attacking focus!).

[quote user="GJP"]Seen as play much worse football than under Houghton.

Have to give it a bit of context, he was trying to keep us in the Premier League. Not like others who have served up dross below Prem level.

He signed some players that improves us and some that didn''t. PL, NA, and AN have all done the same.[/quote]
But draws do not keep a team in the Premier League.  He never went for wins IMO.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]"do you actually just come on here for an argument?"

Some days yes, some days no.[/quote]

haha fair enough!

[quote user="mighty yellow"]I was an away season ticket holder throughout Hughton''s reign. Horrendous stuff week in, week out. The saddest part was how low the players seemed in confidence. He forced a system upon them that none of the players seemed comfortable with, and squabbling between our own players became increasingly common as the season went on. As soon as we went behind, you knew we had lost. The crunch game against Fulham, the chance to save our season, and we didn''t show up.

The preceding summer, we had a decent squad, had gained some pulling power after spending two years in the top flight, and had significant funds to invest in the squad. Houghton blew it. In a little under two years, we had become a husk of the exciting attacking/counter-attacking outfit that I felt could score at any moment. I was proud of the team under Lambert. There was no pride in that last season in the Prem.[/quote]Agree with this 100%.It must have been terrible having an away season ticket for that relegation season. I''m only a home season ticket holder and I seriously didn''t want to go to Carrow Rd never mind away games which were even worse.Either LDC was incredibly lucky on the occasions he did see Norwich '' live '' or he''s just easily pleased.