Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Managerial decisions

Would using the same players for a team set up to play Wolves to play Rotherham not be more ''taking them for granted'' than setting up a team designed specifically to beat them?

I''m not talking major changes, but each team has different strengths and weaknesses. Wolves play with a very wide formation with two wingers pushing high up the pitch trying to cut inside. Rotherham will hit a large number of long balls in to their strikers. These are different threats and AN needs to think are their specific things he needs to do to counter it.

Pep, Jose, Wenger and Sir Alex have all regularly changed winning XIs and if it is good enough for them...

Fair dues, but I''d rather play to our strengths than those of the opposition.

We have cemented together a good run whilst keeping a settled line-up, injuries permitting. It''s a Championship success story.

Perhaps it''s rather more complicated in the Premier League, it should be given the finances.

There are more easy games than hard games in this league, IMO, but there''s a job to do.

I would reward our players who have shown excellent form recently and name an unchanged team unless injury means we need to change up.

I would be minded to have a proper look at Pritchard as an early substitution if the game was going our way so perhaps give Wes 60 minutes and then sub on Pritchard.

Won''t AN get labelled a tinkerman again ? Rotherham won''t be easy but we are near the top and at home so I cannot see any reason to select a team to specifically negate their strengths (if they have any). We should play to ours and pick an unchanged team subject to injuries. On that note won''t Brady be out if he suffered concussion and Klose touch and go.

[quote user="Clint"]It''s rediculous that Naismith doesn''t even make our side even if you take half the team away, what an absolute waste of money![/quote]What is even more ridiculous is what Naismith has, or rather hasn''t, offered the team in order to get selected.  Short of probably about two good performances since he''s been here, that''s about it.  Not enough in my book.

I''m with Bethnal on this. With a squad like ours, we have more depth than ever and we ought to use it.  For me it''s about spreading the load across the squad.  It''s nice to have  a settled team, but the reality of a long hard season means that if we keep to the same few players, we will have some of them burning out.  Johnson for one, went off the boil before the end of the last championship season, quite possibly from over playing. So using the squad means you end up with more equality across it - every player feeling valued. Leave it with the same basic team each week and you will find some players not responding so well to not being in the team - and those in the team possibly getting injured/stale thorugh overplaying - especially with three games a week.   

Absolutely, AN''s job is to manage the squad over the course of the whole season and keep the players involved. We are fortunate to have such quality in depth in many positions. I agree that he should aim to keep a consistent spine to the team but there''s no good reason why he can change the rest around a bit, long season.

It''s not about equality though. This isn''t a commune. Some players are better than others. Even allowing for tactical decisions there will be a hierarchy in every position. Under studies know their place.

It''s like when you go to a theatre show in London. In the afternoon you might get an understudy or two but for the main evening show you get the star names unless illness etc.

Every club wants a settled first team. That''s how you get the great performances and great runs. Changing the team just to keep our second rate players happy is weak management and we should not do it.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]It''s not about equality though. This isn''t a commune. Some players are better than others. Even allowing for tactical decisions there will be a hierarchy in every position. Under studies know their place.

It''s like when you go to a theatre show in London. In the afternoon you might get an understudy or two but for the main evening show you get the star names unless illness etc.

Every club wants a settled first team. That''s how you get the great performances and great runs. Changing the team just to keep our second rate players happy is weak management and we should not do it.[/quote]

So if a player isn''t in the first team, he''s not as good as someone who is?   I don''t think it works like that.  Ruddy will think he''s every bit as good as McGovern and would probably be right.   The rest of the squad aren''t second rate because they aren''t in the team.  The squad is deep in quality and every of them could do a job if asked.  More important than individuals and team members is having a settled way of playing so that anyone can be dropped into the team and is comfortable with the system/formation and what their jobs are within that.  Keeping a team the same every week is imo asking for trouble.  Get as many involved and up to speed if possible then the performances will more likely be consistent week in week out, whoever is playing.  Injuries and suspensions then cease to be any kind of problem.

Hopefully all of the squad believe they should be first choice however AN has his first choice player who will be picked unless injured, suspended, suffering a loss of form or he wants a change of style / formation. Obviously the club has a settled way of playing that all of the squad can fit into with varying degrees of success but I still advocate playing his first choice team as there are no easy games in the championship, every game is a battle as we have seen so far this season.

If you ever want to be successful you have to play your best players unless injured or a different approach needed (i.e. when Wes gets dropped to go for a more solid midfield in certain games).

We need to win on Saturday which will mean playing the best players in each position.

Almost every team plays their best players each important game. Can you imagine City dropping resting Aguero or Arsenal resting Ozil for an important league game just because they''ve got more than one game in a week? No chance.

Historically Alex Neil hasn''t rested any of our key players for any league game anyway.

I would certhinly agree that every game is important and that to increase the chances of success we should play our best available xi.

However, I would make some small changes for this one.

If we don''t we''ll end up with a knackered first team and a demotivated 2nd xi, lacking sharpness and playing like strangers when injury and suspensions come calling.

"So if a player isn''t in the first team, he''s not as good as someone who is?"

No, I did say that hence reference to tactics.

You pick your best players for the system and tactics you want to deploy.

So if you want a destructive DM you pick Tettey, if you want more of a ball player then you pick Dorrans.

What you do though is pick your best players for the system you want to play. You don''t chuck in the understudies unless it is a relatively unimportant game. We are all about getting back into the Premier League so every league game MUST see AN pick the best players for each position based on the tactics and formation.

Eccles from Beccles wrote the following post at 13/10/2016 9:02 PM:

"Oops , thought i''d stumbled into an alternative reality- Winky and Bor actually talking about football? Whatever next? "

Do you have a point?

1. The gut, you''re a bell.

2. The reason I said " pretty much the same team" is that there are injury doubts over Klose and Brady. If there weren''t I would expect the same team for the reasons I have stated. Reasons that other posters have stated.

Is that okay with you?

morty

1. I''m concerned about your constant reference and obvious obsession with male genitalia.

2. You said:-

"In my opinion it will be pretty much the same team as last time out, barring injuries" what is the point you are making?

Help me understand, would it be the same team barring injuries or nearly the same same team barring injuries.

3. Everything is fine with me.

4. Thanks for revealing your obvious lack of understanding football. I''m guessing low level Sunday football team selection was nothing but a pipe dream.

5. Is it ok for posters to call you out in the same way as you claim is your devine right to call out posters for what you deem as ridiculous statements?

morty

1. I''m concerned about your constant reference and obvious obsession with male genitalia.

"In my opinion it will be pretty much the same team as last time out, barring injuries" what is the point you are making?

Help me understand, would it be the same team barring injuries or nearly the same same team barring injuries.

3. Thanks again, for revealing your obvious lack of understanding football. I''m guessing low level Sunday football team selection was nothing but a pipe dream.

4. Is it ok for posters to call you out in the same way as you claim is your devine right to call out posters for what you deem as ridiculous statements?

Now, now chaps. This was actually an interesting football thread with Morty, Bor, vw and LDC all playing nicely together so let''s keep it on track...

To whit, o see the benefits of keeping the same team, however, we do have 3 games in a week and this is probably viewed as the easiest of them so I would take this opportunity to try a couple of changes, though nowhere near the level advocated in the OP. I would bring Pritchard in probably for Wes (even though he hasn''t played both international games, 3 games in a week for us is probably too many for his legs) and either start Nelson or bring him on as an early sub, how early depends on how the match is going, if we''re a couple up at half time maybe even that early....

morty

1. I''m concerned about your constant reference and obvious obsession with male genitalia. Possibly again or your new obsession with another type of tool -

a device or implement, especially one held in the hand, used to carry out a particular function, like a mechanics tool. Guess there isn''t much difference for you.

3. Everything is fine with me.

4. Thanks for revealing your obvious lack of understanding football. I''m guessing low level Sunday football team selection was nothing but a pipe dream.

5. Is it ok for posters to call you out in the same way as you claim is your devine right to call out posters for what you deem as ridiculous statements?

7. Enyone who points out spelling or gramma errars on a football forum is one sad ****. There is nothing about education that I yearned for. Now football that is a diffrent matter.

Beddy byes time for you I think gutty, you''re clearly tired and over emotional.

Oh and next time you do counting, take both shoes off.

1. Plenty of energy left yet morty, and no that is not some kind of invitation or flirt with you.

3. And that is dispite the tyering effort to get you you to answer a question about your iggorant vew.