Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Managerial decisions

Ok, you''re the manager and you''ve been working with the same group of players for two weeks while some of your best players have been working away.  You''ve been able to do some good work with the players that were left and have confidence that they are going to do really well in the upcoming match.  The internationals have had tough matches and  might benefit a rest, especially as we have three games in a week.So when those players return, do you put them back in or do you rest them?  Without them, our team could be -                   RuddyPinto Bennett Bassong Whittaker             Howson DorransJa Murphy Pritchard  Jo Murphy                   JeromeNot suggesting for one minute this will be the line up, but Brady and Klose had knocks, Hoolahan played nearly two full matches, Ollson puts in huge efforts whenever he plays.  Martin might benefit a break.  The only difficulty is left back if Brady and Olsson are rested, but Whittaker can play there and we have three tough games in a week.So which players would you rest and which would you leave in, assuming they are all fit? 

Agree with that team but I''d put all the international boys in, ie Wes, Brady and Olsson unless injured. Important we put out our strongest eleven to get back to it with a win.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Never want to see Whitaker again ![/quote]

Agree, take Bassong with him!

How did Whitaker ever get a year added to his contract, only he and AN knows.

This just shows the strength of our squad. There are multi-million pound players who have not been included in the team above.

As the squad is this strong I feel we must play our best team whenever we can and then rely upon the strength in reserve in case of injury/suspension.

If it aint broke don''t mend it.

To change a team because of what we have coming up in the future could backfire and the future could not be the same as we imagined.

If everyone fit, go with the same team! Respect Rotherham, they will be hard to beat so put first choice team out.brest a few if and when we are 3 up.

Securing 3 precious points is the main objective; should anyone get injured we have cover ready & waiting. I would keep full strength until we have a 3 goal advantage with 30 to go - or a 2 goal advantage with 15 to go - then rest key players. This is the type of game we need to nail...

that left side of defence is suicide ldc. Martin and Bennett if klose is injured and olsson straight back in. he is one of the most naturally fit players we have so will have no problems. further forward without tettey I only feel confident enough to have 1 murphy as they aren''t the most defensive. id be prepared to go with howson/Dorrans as the 2 in the middle tho. I''m tempted by pritchard on the other flank to Jacob tho. Wes back in the middle behind jerome. Rotherham is exactly the sort of game we need his vision for.

Indeed rufus, you don''t change a winning side.

If Alex tinkered and we lost, he''d be crucified on here.

I don''t think for one minute that my preference would be deployed, but I like it, and think Rotherham would be an ideal game to use it:-

Ruddy

Martin Klose Bassong

Jacob M Howson Dorrans Brady

Hoolahan

Olivera Jerome

I think Alex has shown he changes winning teams, horses for courses and all that, I certainly don''t think he would worry about the Pinkun messageboard crucifiction.

No need to change anything, if players like Brady are feeling it a bit, give them 60 minutes then sub them.

I''d drop Brady for Pritchard, mainly because he hasn''t been playing very well.

If his goal against Wolves had gone over the bar, he would be the main scapegoat on here at the moment.

AN himself said he hasn''t been performing well - a he wasn''t much better against Wolves across the 90mins.

The ''never change a winning team'' mantra is outdated and backwards.

Two very different situations.

In my opinion it will be pretty much the same team as last time out, barring injuries.

That''s what I am saying Morty.

Blithely saying ''never change a winning team'' without considering the situation of the two games is a bit backwards.

I''d say Wolves away compared to Rotherham at home are also very different situations. The opposition teams certainly play in very different ways.

My opinion is still that it will be pretty much the same team.

And my opinion is that dropping players who are in form and winning games isn''t a great idea, especially when we are at home and should be concentrating on our own game, rather than worrying about the opposition.

Sorry if that''s outdated.

It''s rediculous that Naismith doesn''t even make our side even if you take half the team away, what an absolute waste of money!

It''s ridiculous that someone can make a low level Sunday league statement and give attitude to the poster who called him out on it while obviously missing out that our Alex had done that very same thing only two games ago. Then backtracking saying that was different, schoolboy argument. To cover any further embarrassment we then get predictions like "pretty much" the same team. Mmmm not gonna go far wrong with a prediction like that.

If we can beat Everton away with our we should not have any worries about making changes in games such as this.

I wouldn''t blame the manager if he was careful with players who weren''t 100% as they would be at risk of making things worse.

Ron Saunders used to say that you should change a winning team and re-select a losing team.

I wonder if Alex might pick Josh over Jacob.

He could curious, and without anyone knowing. Perhaps they could make the switch without Alex knowing.

I am very much in favour of keeping settled line ups. I think that dropping players should only really happen if they are (i) injured (including tiredness after this sort of international "break" [sic.]), (ii) playing poorly over an extended period (and not just the odd off game), and (iii) if we buy someone tangibly better.

It''s a dull answer but I think AN will just look at each one and decide what condition they are in and then decide rather than making a blanket decision.

"I am very much in favour of keeping settled line ups. I think that dropping players should only really happen if they are (i) injured (including tiredness after this sort of international "break" [sic.]), (ii) playing poorly over an extended period (and not just the odd off game), and (iii) if we buy someone tangibly better."

I''m with you there. The popular tactic of adjusting the line-up according to the opposition, and further to this general tinkering in any case, doesn''t appeal to me.

Therefore our strongest line up, which by definition is the last one(s) because of our recent success, is the only way to go.

Thinking too much is dangerous. Rotherham must not be taken for granted and they cannot even be classed as a potential banana skin as it''s a routine home game.

AN has mixed up a good aggregate recently for us doubters. The next few games will see how it settles.