Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

League Cup - Leeds v Norwich

With just 9 days to go, we have a huge chance to get into the Quarter Finals. Promotion has to be priority obviously but a win against Leeds could see us getting a favourable QF draw at home and the chance of reaching the Semi Finals - that would just be amazing as we''ve not had a decent run for ages!. I know we have a couple of league games ahead of this but what sort of line up do you think we''ll put out for this? It''s a huge opportunity so I''m not so sure that AN won''t start with a stronger line up. Thoughts?

Absolutely, plus they''ve earned their right to play with some great performances in the previous rounds

I agree to a point but *should* we get through against Leeds, who it has to be said have picked up considerably despite yesterday''s defeat, then with total respect to Bassong etc I would be somewhat disappointed if we didn''t play the likes of Klose etc against one of the better sides to give us a fighting chance. I''ve seen Bassong v Aguero and Klose v Aguero - and one of these men fairly recently had the little Argentinian in his back pocket all game. That said, I do equally agree, and totally understand, that said players have earned their right in this competition - it will be very interesting to see what Alex decides to do.

Can''t see the same side against Everton playing, but one I think AN should do if they are not starting is have some of the 1st first team filling up the bench.

[quote user="morty"]Never change a winning team.

😉[/quote]

Rapidly becoming Pink''un quote (and incendiary device) of the month mate 😉

BroadstairsR wrote:

Promotion is a priority

A cup run is a bonus

I totally agree with this. If we don''t go straight back up I reckon we will lose a lot of our key players so it''s essential that we save our first team regulars for the league and use the bench warmers for the cup - we don''t need a good cup run and it wouldn''t be embarrassing if we got knocked out by Leeds

Hazzajet, don''t disagree about Championship being the priority, but it''s a mere handful of games to get to the final. Not saying we''ll do that, but my point is that I''m quite sure we have enough players including our Hoolahan''s and Pinto''s to be able to cope with the demands of another 3 or 4 games, hypothetically speaking.

Sorry Alex it''s just I won''t really be fussed about the cup until we''re a team the strength of the squad of the early 90s.

If we make it to the quarterfinals then I will agree to using some of our key players, I think the problem is I fear too much about them getting injured

I should imagine that it will be those players AN considers to be best suited to that game, with other factors like who needs to be rested and who needs ''game time''.It is never about who is in ''form'' but who is suited to the opposition.ie in years gone by games against Wimbledon and West Ham certainly required a different approach.

It is about looking at the opposition, I agree.

That''s why this stuff about don''t change a winning team is bollox.

[quote user="VanWink"]It is about looking at the opposition, I agree.

That''s why this stuff about don''t change a winning team is bollox.[/quote]And I agree to a certain extent, but we''re a match away from the last eight and it''s Leeds on their turf, not Hartlepool, so I''d be tempted to go with our strongest eleven which is arguably the team that beat Rotherham.It can also be demoralising for players who play a blinder and then find themselves benched for the next fixture.

The point being made Jools is those best suited to that game might not be seen as our strongest eleven.Also we will never know who is carrying knocks, who might have external reasons for not wanting to play in that match etc etcAN and the others judged the team they put out against Everton were good enough to beat them, they were. I suggest the same will apply against Leeds.