Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Respect for Paul Jewell

Evidentally a worthy new addition to the band of promising upcoming English managers lining up behind Sven, (what wonders could he work with our playing squad!?) it was excellent to hear his words on MoTD re Camara stomping off down the tunnel after being subbed.

Next day he gets a written apology from the player and all is well. Suppose it''s all a bit easier when you''re a ''lttle'' club sitting 4th in the premiership.

The job he has done at Wigan has been incredible.  People (including myself) have said they''ve bought their way up through the leagues.  Up until the 1st Division they could pay big wages, attract big players.  They can''t do that in the Premiership though.  As they found out in the summer, no one spectacular wants to go and play in a rugby town!  They spent a bit in the summer but not shed loads.  To be mixing it with the big boys (albeit at an early stage in the season) is awesome.  It''s down to Jewell of course and how he has got his players to perform.  Fair play to them I say

I would say they did spend shedloads when you consider the gates they were getting, no other team would be able to come up from League Two in the space of five seasons and spunk around £8M on transfer fees in their first season in the bog time without big financial backing.

Having said that Jewell is a good manager

They''ve had money, no doubt about that, but i''d hazard a guess that they haven''t spent much more than us in the last two or three years. Which club has spent wiser in that time would you say...

[quote]Jewell is a class manager who has proved time and time again that he knows what he is doing - unlike Worthington[/quote]

The performances of Wigan and W Ham this season just show how bad we were last season - and what''s more, things haven''t improved this season.

OK, so what''s the difference between Wigan''s current progress and our season back in the Premiership. Why are they doing so well?...

[quote]They''ve had money, no doubt about that, but i''d hazard a guess that they haven''t spent much more than us in the last two or three years. Which club has spent wiser in that time would you say...[/quote]

They have spent quite a bit, they spent nearly £2M on Ellington when they were in League 1

"OK, so what''s the difference between Wigan''s current progress and our season back in the Premiership. Why are they doing so well?"

Wigan have Jewell - we have Worthington. It really is that simple.

Jewells squad is no better than ours was last season - it is all about getting suitable tactics and a set of players who can deliver then - Jewell has bought well and coached better - when can we say that about Worthy?

OTBC 

[quote]OK, so what''s the difference between Wigan''s current progress and our season back in the Premiership. Why are they doing so well?...[/quote]

Great question Morph.  Unfortunately I can''t give you an answer.  Maybe it''s the managent.  Maybe it''s because they''ve got fast, powerful strikers who know where the net is.  Maybe it''s because they have a focused motivated Damien Francis running the midfield.  Maybe it''s because they have experienced, tall Premiership centre backs. 

Or maybe, just maybe, it''s all a combination of all these reasons!

[quote]OK, so what''s the difference between Wigan''s current progress and our season back in the Premiership. Why are they doing so well?...[/quote]

Perm any one reason from about fifty -

Tactics, formation, team selection, playing to your strenghths, organisation, desire, work rate, application, motivation, encouragement, substitutions, etc etc

In short, anything that''s the Managers responsibility