Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Ipswich love Wessi

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/388034/scum-havent-kept-a-clean-sheet-for-2-months/#17
Apparently, if they had signed Wes, they''d have been the ones who spent time in the Prem recently. Wes is the only reason we are top of the table.
Don''t get me wrong, I love Hoolahan as much as the next fan, but saying he is solely responsible for 2 promotions and staying in the Prem for a couple of years seems like a bit of an odd perspective.

err... 3 promotions, and a title, play off final win, FA Youth Cup, debts cleared and FOUR years in the PL

Was he also responsible for their stagnation, debts rising to over £100m and attendances falling by around 15,000 ?

Or was all that due to us being run properly and them being run by a crook ?

[quote user="Barbara Blacksheep"]err... 3 promotions, and a title, play off final win, FA Youth Cup, debts cleared and FOUR years in the PL

Was he also responsible for their stagnation, debts rising to over £100m and attendances falling by around 15,000 ?

Or was all that due to us being run properly and them being run by a crook ?[/quote]
I would say, on balance of probabilities, it''s down to Wessi. Hmm [^o)]

To be fair it''s only one fool saying that, no ones agreeing with him. Although the comment about being in the prem for 4 of the last 6 seasons made me laugh, it''s as if we cheated our way out of lg 1 and the champs.

It''s not a coincidence.  

On the playing side, he''s been the difference. Obviously he couldn''t do it alone and you need decent players around you - he had those, Holt for many of those seasons. We have changed many players in his time here. We enjoy success on the pitch when Hoolahan plays and the opposite when he''s not - it shows whatever we think of our players - we love the lot of them - we are average without Hoolahan. 

Roeder''s only ever did one good deed for us. I guess he owed us this one !

no Season Club

achievement
comment
1 2008-2009 Relegated from

Championship
Played on wing; not

his fault team & manager were pants
2 2009-2010 Promoted to

Championship
Played in most of the

games
3 2010-2011 Promoted to

Premiership
Played in most of the

games
4 2011-2012 Retain Premiership

status
Played in most of the

games
5 2012-2013 Retain Premiership

status
Played in most of the

games; not selected initially -  club

bottom - brought back in - 10 match unbeaten run
6 2013-2014 Relegated from

Premiership
Started only 10 games
7 2014-2015 Promoted to

Premiership
Played in most of the

games; club drop out of promo spots when he is injured, back after injury -

promotion
8 2015-2016 Relegated from

Premiership
Not selected 2nd part

of season, missed too many  games due

to marguee signing playinjg his position
9 2016-2017 17/10/16 1st in

Championship
Started & played

in most of the games

I know he''s playing some of his best stuff at the moment but at 34 it''s sad to think we won''t have Wessi for too much longer. Hopefully we already have our ready made replacement in Pritchard.

Also in the season we were relegated from the Championship he got injured in the game against Southampton at home (I think it was that game) - I have a feeling we were winning that game and went on to lose after he went off?

He had been instrumental in us picking up a few points if I remember correctly, and then his injury basically nailed on relegation.

The Southampton game was when he scored a cracker from about 30 yards, dont remember if that was the game he went off injured though.

https://youtu.be/FIkuyEViaf4

Sorry don''t know how to post clickys from my iPad. Poor quality vid but stunning goal. Remember seeing it and turning to my mate who was too busy texting and missed the goal.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]Also in the season we were relegated from the Championship he got injured in the game against Southampton at home (I think it was that game) - I have a feeling we were winning that game and went on to lose after he went off?

He had been instrumental in us picking up a few points if I remember correctly, and then his injury basically nailed on relegation.[/quote]

Wes in "I''m personally responsible for the relegation" shocker!

Don''t think I said that? It''s just my opinion that he would have made the difference that year (and you could tell that when he was in the team), is that not fair enough?

I''ve posted the stats before. Basically we average about half a point more per game when he starts than we do when he doesn''t.

Amazing really how he''s been consistently dropped or "rested" by so many consecutive managers who all eventually bring him back in and see performances improve considerably.

I love Wessi. He''s my type of player and I''m always disappointed if he''s not announced in the team. He has been instrumental in all the good things that have been achieved since Roeder signed him.

However the telling difference between them and us is our respective owners. That will be an uncomfortable truth for many though...

Wes''s career has been fantastic for us overall, but there''s no doubt he has had to learn the hard way.  He has been criticised - rightly so - over the years - his limitations were that with all his skill he didn''t always find he telling pass, or run into ever decreasing circles - and that he didn''t score enough goals.    He still sometimes gets caught on the ball or misplaces a pass, however, he''s turned into one of the best players of his type there is - full of skill, bags of determination and confidence - and he''s scoring goals as well.  Brilliant. 

The simple reason he misplaces the odd pass and gets caught in possession is because of his style. He attempts the defence splitting pass rather than a 5 yard square pass to retain possession and he holds onto the ball in tight spaces looking for runners and gaps rather than laying off a simple possession retaining ball. He is a game changer when it comes off and the sort of player I pay good money to watch.

It''s good for these small teams to dream about having remotely anywhere near our level of talent

I bet they are packing their sandwiches for their trip to Carrow road/wembley next year already, bless em.

small team ?Wes would fit in well there

(though I doubt if would be up to joining a small club)

Thanks for reminding me ncfcstar. Yes the club was starting to get a run of results together when he got injured.

Only won one of our last 7 or 8 games after that.

no Season Club

achievement
comment
1 2008-2009 Relegated from

Championship
Injured against

Plymouth in run in - club above drop zone - after his injury club wins only 1

of last 7 games
2 2009-2010 Promoted to

Championship
Played in most of the

games
3 2010-2011 Promoted to

Premiership
Played in most of the

games
4 2011-2012 Retain Premiership

status
Played in most of the

games
5 2012-2013 Retain Premiership

status
Played in most of the

games; not selected initially -  club

bottom - brought back in - 10 match unbeaten run
6 2013-2014 Relegated from

Premiership
Started only 10 games
7 2014-2015 Promoted to

Premiership
Played in most of the

games; club drop out of promo spots when he is injured, back after injury -

promotion
8 2015-2016 Relegated from

Premiership
Not selected 2nd part

of season, missed too many  games due

to marguee signing playing his position
9 2016-2017 17/10/16 1st in

Championship
Started & played

in most of the games

He''s a much better player now than he was 7 years ago. To be honest i don''t think he''d have gotten much better under Keane or Jewell and would have probably spent his career as a substitute left winger probably playing in League 1 now with no caps to his name.

Roeder and Gunny playing him wide in a midfield 4...christ those days make me shudder! Some of the bloody managers we''ve had