Sign in to follow this  
Donkey dangler

Was Martin in the wrong place for the Rotherham goal?

[quote user="STAN"]Can''t remember who it was but if you''re going to point fingers you have to blame the mis-timed tackle... Martin had no choice but to begin closing down the player in possession leaving "his man" open. Klose done his best to cover Martins man but in doing so left his man open. Rotherham got a lucky flick on and the rest is history. You could argue Olsson should''ve came across to cover but I''m sure he would''ve been leaving somebody open as well. We won the game. So I can''t say I''m overly worried.[/quote]

Exactly - it''s not rocket science.  They''ve got the ball into space on our right wing behind Pinto/Murphy ... meaning we''ve got a problem. The right-side CB has to cover across (or the attacker has a free run on goal), and the other CB has to try to cover for him at the front post....  It''s hard for all of the defenders to get back to cover when this has happened, and no surprise if you end up with gaps the other side can exploit.

It''s the pitch layers fault. If the goal had been 2cm to the left like in training everyone would have been in the right place