Sign in to follow this  
Donkey dangler

Was Martin in the wrong place for the Rotherham goal?

I expect they''ll be a full on enquiry launched to determine the answer.I was told by someone in the know that our Chaiman is thinking of introducing a new idea for next season. After every major incident a panel of four ''experts'' will be able to give their opinion of what happened and they will then grade the event out of ten. It could catch on.

I don''t know but just how good would it be if he was out of position? It''d be a great opportunity for you to slate our captain yet again, so fingers crossed!

It''s quite easy to blame the back four, but If you consider what actually happened you''d see that''s not the case.

Rotherham went 2-0 down and brought on Blackstock and went 3 up top. Not for the first time this caused us some problems (Wigan at home springs to mind...). Firstly, this forces our full-backs to sit rather deep, and as a result the midfielders get pulled wide and then the CBs have to cover far too much ground on their own. If you watch the build up to the goal, I would point any direct blame at Martin or Klose - they both have far too much to cover. What''s missing is their lack of help which leaves Blackstock essentially unmarked to poach home.

So, the long answer is; No, it wasn''t directly Martin''s fault - the entire defensive unit (including the midfield) have to take the blame for not covering the middle and/or stopping the ball into the box.

I blame Alex Neil, he should have brought Ryan Bennett on in the 73rd minute and went three at the back.

Neil out!

Apples

Martin was on the pitch so he surely has to take the blame, if Whittaker was in the stand then he was also partly to blame.

If anything I''d blame a lack of communication between Klose and McGovern. As far as Klose was concerned he''d stopped his man at the near post getting to the ball, but wasn''t aware of Blackstock directly behind him. I believe Klose could have cut it out for a corner, he instead let the ball go past assuming it was heading straight into McGovern''s hands.

All water under the bridge and I''m sure it''s been discussed at Colney today.

Pinto caught up field, it happens when your FB''s bomb on, right CB has to move across to cover, which he does, Murphy dives in and misses tackle (and takes full responsibility for it in his interview in the Gunn Club), leaving right CB out of position or at least not immediately in a position to cut out a cross but exactly where he should have been given the previous run of play, left CB move across to cover right CB, all good and LB should move in to cover left CB with LM dropping to cover LB. left CB misses block on oppo, LB hasn''t got across quick enough, keeper could have done more possibly and their unmarked CF taps home and it''s all the right CB''s fault, well who would have thought it!!

[quote user="Donkey dangler"]I thought Martin was out of position for their goal. As a result Klose then had to come across to the near post area and leave the goalscorer.[/quote]

Martin has been no good for years and his contract ought to be terminated by 5.30 tonight.

[quote user="Ray"]Pinto caught up field, it happens when your FB''s bomb on, right CB has to move across to cover, which he does, Murphy dives in and misses tackle (and takes full responsibility for it in his interview in the Gunn Club), leaving right CB out of position or at least not immediately in a position to cut out a cross but exactly where he should have been given the previous run of play, left CB move across to cover right CB, all good and LB should move in to cover left CB with LM dropping to cover LB. left CB misses block on oppo, LB hasn''t got across quick enough, keeper could have done more possibly and their unmarked CF taps home and it''s all the right CB''s fault, well who would have thought it!![/quote]
Murphy missing a tackle? Gotta be the way AN shouts at him! [:@]

hogesar,

So, all AN''s fault then, I knew we''d get there in the end!!

I''ve just looked at the Opta stats and they conclusively prove that Martin was in the correct place for the Rotherham goal, all the other players and the ball were in the wrong place.

The fault for the goal was the whole team switching off and getting flustered because they increased the tempo a tiny bit

It''s not the first time it''s happened and is surely under review

Would be nice to have a gobby defensive leader next to klose to make sure everything stays calm and ordered.

[quote user="Donkey dangler"]I thought Martin was out of position for their goal. As a result Klose then had to come across to the near post area and leave the goalscorer.[/quote]

Well he was nowhere near any of their players or the ball

[quote user="Donkey dangler"]Exactly![/quote]

But neither were, Pinto, Klose, Ollson or McGovern, or come to think of it, Dorrans, Tettey, etc. etc. Which all goes to prove that playing FB''s pushing on will always stretch the remaining defenders, so unless the central midfield can get back to cover, which they didn''t, or unless Josh had managed to hold the winger up rather than dive in, which he didn''t, then there is always the chance of conceding. In my world it''s called, if you pick up the stick the other end always comes with it, and for the avoidance of any doubt this means playing with your FB''s up the field means you are more likely to concede on a breakaway, c''est la vie.

[quote user="The Walking Man "]I blame Snodgrass.[/quote]

Having watched the bournemouth hull game thats quite understandable

While i have blamed RM in the past I dont think either CBs positioning and movement is to blame. when we push the full backs so far forward we will leave gaps, which we will usually leave the deep cm (tettey) and cbs to cover - they moved to the right spaces.

Murphy certainly didnt help and needed more discipline, that will come but it was an error to dive in but if he learns it will have been a good lesson as it cost us nothing.

Nothing to see here - more along

It is mainly a tactical risk - if the players keep a shape we wont concede many and likely to score more.

Can''t remember who it was but if you''re going to point fingers you have to blame the mis-timed tackle...

Martin had no choice but to begin closing down the player in possession leaving "his man" open. Klose done his best to cover Martins man but in doing so left his man open. Rotherham got a lucky flick on and the rest is history.

You could argue Olsson should''ve came across to cover but I''m sure he would''ve been leaving somebody open as well.

We won the game. So I can''t say I''m overly worried.

VanWink would know, or would at least give the correct legal decision. In his tiny head. Though his head could be a capacious cavern, I expect it would echo in there if it was.

If you watch any goal we concede over and over again, then I am sure that someone is to blame for each and every one of them. Mistakes happen, we just need to ensure that we don''t make too many.

What is more concerning is that if we go up this season we will have to build a new defence around Klose, and buy a whole new attack too.

Gaining automatic promotion would help, both in terms of having more time to work with, and possibly being more attractive to those we go in for, but given AN''s/ NCFC''s track record in the transfer market it could be a long, hard season.