Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Errr, right......team for Fulham?

@YankeeCanary
[Y] I wasn''t claiming to know exactly what Ranieri did match by match, hence my comment about needing to look at it in detail. I disagree though that the point I was making was irrelevant. There are other possible reasons apart from the principle of never changing a winning team which could account for Ranieri''s approach, for example, a big difference in ability between a relatively small group of players in the squad and the rest. I would guess that his team selections show the same pattern this season as well, despite having won only 2 out of 8 league matches. 

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]@YankeeCanary
[Y] I wasn''t claiming to know exactly what Ranieri did match by match, hence my comment about needing to look at it in detail. I disagree though that the point I was making was irrelevant. There are other possible reasons apart from the principle of never changing a winning team which could account for Ranieri''s approach, for example, a big difference in ability between a relatively small group of players in the squad and the rest. I would guess that his team selections show the same pattern this season as well, despite having won only 2 out of 8 league matches. 
[/quote]
There you go again....guessing.... and compounding that by mixing apples and oranges. He does not have the same team this time around. What he had last season worked for because he had the same players available a very high percentage of the total time played and they performed at an excellent level with those teams they were competing with.. You lose key ingredients of that team and it changes the dynamics.
Incidentally, your suggestion previously was clearly to challenge the point about not changing a winning team. Your points were redundant because, by your own admission, you didn''t know the facts, which is why I provided them to you.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]@YankeeCanary
[/quote]
There you go again....guessing.... and compounding that by mixing apples and oranges. He does not have the same team this time around. What he had last season worked for because he had the same players available a very high percentage of the total time played and they performed at an excellent level with those teams they were competing with.. You lose key ingredients of that team and it changes the dynamics.
Incidentally, your suggestion previously was clearly to challenge the point about not changing a winning team. Your points were redundant because, by your own admission, you didn''t know the facts, which is why I provided them to you. 

@YankeeCanary
At one of his first press conferences following his appointment at Leicester, Ranieri was asked about his reputation as "the Tinkerman". He didn''t reply that he had learned his lesson and now believed the secret of success was never to change a winning side; on the contrary, he said that whereas he was once the only Tinkerman, now there were many Tinkermen managing top clubs. Are you seriously suggesting that his guiding principle throughout last season suddenly became "Never change a winning side"? 
Also relevant is something he said more recently, namely that he had asked his chairman to ensure that this season he had a minimum of "22 players with the same level". There''s a clear implication that last season he had fewer players available "of the same level", sufficient in itself to explain his selection policy without invoking the principle of never changing a winning team.

I don''t often agree with Lakey on much, but I do agree with notion that not changing a winning side is a slightly rigid and outdated notion.

I''m not advocating change for change sake but it is important to be proactive to ensure that you''ve got the best chance of winning your next game, rather than using the logic - well it was good enough last week....

For me being proactive isidentifying possible drops in individual performance levels and to adjust tactically to individual circumstances of each opponent. Evidently Fulham away will present a different tactical challenge to Rotherham at home and therefore selection may change accordingly.

In terms of potential performance drops - Murphy has looked a little bit jaded lately, despite a wonderful start to the season. That could be an area where we need to be proactive and make a change. The other areas you could legitimately ask questions about are whether Tettey and Wes can play 2 games in succession after an international week?

I''m not saying that Neil will or indeed should make these changes if they aren''t necessary. But it just shows the potential factors at play for why just picking your previous winning XI may not always be the best way forward.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]Brady in for Pritchard WILL BE the only change.

Personally I''d bring in Ruddy until McGovern learns to either hold the ball or parry it sideways but it won''t happen.[/quote]If you had a ball rocketing at you at a 1000mph I am sure you''d be able to parry it sideways.

In answer to westcoastcanary''s question/scenario I would stick with Pritchard. Brady was unlucky to get injured but now has to fight to get his place back. He is not so much better than AP that he should go straight back in and arguably based on the more instinctive play between Him and Hoolahan on Sat, AP is the better option anyway.

Other than the defence generally, the biggest thing [in my view] we lack is that fluidity which come from familiarity and I genuinely believe that if we fix that aspect we will be an even stronger bet for an automatic spot. Now my recollection may not be right, but back in 92/93 I seem to recall that we had pretty much the same team out every week and it did pretty well and played some great football with what were considered at the time to be largely journeyman pros...............the emphasis was on "team", not "a collection of individuals".

If Pritchard is dropped he will wonder what he has to do to stay in the team. Murphy looked our weakest link on Saturday but I know it isn''t that simple to leave him out as it would mean a possible change of system.

[quote user="Red Rufus"]If Pritchard is dropped he will wonder what he has to do to stay in the team. Murphy looked our weakest link on Saturday but I know it isn''t that simple to leave him out as it would mean a possible change of system.[/quote]There is a solution to that and that is to rest Wes and put Pritchard more in the middle, allowing Brady to take his place on the left.  It all depends on how AN views how we need to set up defensively and how the balance in the team needs to be for this fixture, which isn''t going to be easy. 

Some posters are obsessed with resting players and tinkering for the sake of it. Unless a certain tactical approach rules them out our best, and in form players should be starting. You simply don''t leave our key players in games you''ve got a good chance of winning.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]Brady in for Pritchard WILL BE the only change.

Personally I''d bring in Ruddy until McGovern learns to either hold the ball or parry it sideways but it won''t happen.[/quote]

How do you know this?

Will be an error if so imo if so as Pritchard has undoubtedly earned his place in the team and barring his goal, Brady has looked average at best so far this season.

Wouldn''t surprise me if Brady comes in for Murphy - I think everybody would probably agree it wasn''t his best game on Saturday & could do with a rest. Can''t see Pritchard being dropped, so would expect him on the right with Brady on the left

Back 4, GK, CM & ST all pick themselves at the minute, nothing to change.

It''s just the 2 wide positions with question marks, but this comes down to how we want to play & move the ball

-------------McGovern-------------

Pinto-----Martin---Klose----Olsson

--------Tettey------Dorrans-------

Ja Murphy-------Wes----------Brady
----------------Cam---------------

Personally I''d bring in Ruddy until McGovern learns to either hold the ball or parry it sideways but it won''t happen.[/quote]

No need to drop McGovern, he held onto a very strong shot in the first half. If you''re referring to the disallowed one in the 2nd half that he spilled and they scored from the rebound, that was an excellent first save. These days, shots are being hit so hard that parrying them is often the only option. Ruddy parries just as many as McGovern.

I am a Ruddy fan by the way, but am mostly in the ''why change a winning team?'' camp.

Herman, I wouldn''t expect anybody to push a ball away at 1000mph but there again I don''t anyone who can hit a ball anywhere near that speed either.

For a professional goalkeeper I would expect them to be able to push away not back and IMO McGovern weakness is that he parry''s far to much and not convincingly.

As for do I think Pritchard should be drop the answer is no. but I thought the question was what WILL be the team not what team would I go with? apologises if I''ve miss read or understood the OP.

Its not just the power of the shot that is the problem, it is the bend on the ball which is quite unpredictable.  That is why the trend is now for goalkeepers to parry the ball away rather than catch it like they did years ago. It was a very powerful shot almost certainly with swerve on it - and McGovern did well to stop it at all imo - and his shot stopping and parrying is usually good.

I don''t accept that Lakey, - I accept that the modern ball moves more but that''s the ball they train with so you can still learn to parry sideways you" Just" adjust the angle of the hands or the angle of attack at the ball - I''m not particularly having a go at McGovern I would just prefer Ruddy at the moment, as we are leaking too many goals.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]I don''t accept that Lakey, - I accept that the modern ball moves more but that''s the ball they train with so you can still learn to parry sideways you" Just" adjust the angle of the hands or the angle of attack at the ball - I''m not particularly having a go at McGovern I would just prefer Ruddy at the moment, as we are leaking too many goals.[/quote]The hardest shots to parry are the ones that swerve back in towards you, the balls that swerve away are much easier to parry out of trouble. I think he did what he could given the type of shot it was and I don''t think Ruddy would have done any better. As for the other goals conceded in other matches I don''t see McGovern being responsible - it''s more been because of faulty back passes, poor defensive headers etc etc.

[quote user="Jools"]Tettey''s Jig ~ [quote]I''d be tempted to stuck with it. the only question marks for me are in goal and whether Jacob needs a rest. pritchard can go right and Brady back in. Might be tempted by that. I think we will go tettey and Dorrans in the middle though I''d be tempted with howson coming in for Dorrans.[/quote]So McGovern & Dorrans dropped because they''re under-performing or are you just making silly comments through boredom? Dorrans is proving to be our superior holding midfielder and McGovern hasn''t been at fault for the majority of goals conceded this season [:|]We go with the same team [Y][/quote]

with all due respect there''s no need to be so nasty. If you actually read what I put, I said I was tempted by going unchanged though I''d understand if the odd change was made. while a win is a win, 3-1 at home to Rotherham is hardly magical really meaning we could perhaps do even better.

Howson when fit is basically the first name on the team sheet and rightfully so. Dorrans may well have earned himself an extended Stay in the side though and given the manager a headache. we are far stronger with tettey in the middle so the dorrans/howson combo would be a risk. sounds like howson is still out anyway so that answers that.

as for mcgovern, he''s alright and strong at shot stopping but his command of his area is still troubling me. I''d say ruddy would have stopped a couple of new castles goals and arguably rotherhams goal too. he was lucky their goal for offside was ruled out too as he palmed it straight to the guy.

on the balance I feel he has done enough to remain number 1 though I''m still not 100% convinced.

as for Jacob, many agree that he was not at his best on sat and he is young. young players are prone to drops in performance levels and so it may be wise to rest him especially with pritchard playing so well on sat and Brady back fit. we have a strong squad, perhaps we should use it.

I don''t think any of that was "silly" or "because I was bored" was it?

minor squabbles aside, isn''t it great we can have these discussions where we have so many viable options and competition for places!

You may be right, or it could be lack of communication from or confidence in the goalkeeper or numerous other things.

As I say I''m not having a go at MM ( or I would of also mentioned hesitation causing !) I personally would prefer to see JR back as number 1.

I know just what you mean as I''ve just been waiting for an opportunity to have Ruddy back myself, remembering his form and impact the last two, times he returned to the side following injury (Lee Camp?) and previous loss of form ( Rudd,) but whereas the previous two had shown signs of weakness MM''s introduction has been more or less seamless, corresponded to a rich run of results and been difficult to find fault with other than with a bit of nit-picking.

Besides, why change a winning side, outdated as this ideal may be seen as, or does this apply to ''keepers in the visionary minds of the modern tacticians amongst us?

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]Herman, I wouldn''t expect anybody to push a ball away at 1000mph but there again I don''t anyone who can hit a ball anywhere near that speed either.

For a professional goalkeeper I would expect them to be able to push away not back and IMO McGovern weakness is that he parry''s far to much and not convincingly.

As for do I think Pritchard should be drop the answer is no. but I thought the question was what WILL be the team not what team would I go with? apologises if I''ve miss read or understood the OP.[/quote]

Drinkell - not trying to have a go, but were you there on Satdee? That shot was hit with real venom and I personally think he did very well to keep it out. I don''t think the replay did justice to the save, as from my angle (upper Barclay), it looked an excellent stop.

My take on goalkeeping is that 90% of their contribution is positioning and communication.

if a goalkeeper makes no full length diving saves (Camera Saves) is he a poor keeper or one who has potentially better positioning and understands his angles?

If he can keep his concentration and get this bit right then he can communicate with the rest of the team and make sure they are in the right position by being the eyes in the back of their heads.

Combine those two attributes and you have very good keeper. And that is why I would prefer JR as although far from perfect he seems better in these areas.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Respect my opinion.[/quote]No. I''ll play fair if you will. Simples.  Anyway, it is an outdated concept. The better your squad, the more important it is to use them.  Do Howson and Brady deserve to be left out?  If rested and fresh for Tuesday, would it not be better to return them into the fold, enabling Tettey not to put too much stress on his knees - and  Wes needs to stay fresh, may be better to rest him as against Newcastle. Pritchard can take his role and Brady back on the left. It''s common sense.

[/quote]

Boring sh1t from the gruesome twosome, again. This time, LDC picks a fight for no apparent reason. Exciting stuff.

I struggle to see how anyone who was at the game on Satdee could think that we should drop Wessi. He is very fit for a player his age and there is no reason he can''t play. The best player in the Championship hands down, IMHO.