Sign in to follow this  
smooth

We need a defensive commanding voice

We have seen this defensive fragility over a number of seasons.

In January we need that voice that player who can straighten us out and add clout. We have those that voice it but cannot finish it.

Should have been top of our shopping list in the summer along with strikers. Imagine if we had these players and still had the season we had had so far.

Roll on Saturday again. Long season with the same fragility that other clubs are now aware of.

We just need to get rid of Russell Martin. He never was a centre back and never will be. That injury crisis a few years back is still haunting us today.

[quote user="E I E I E I O"]We just need to get rid of Russell Martin. He never was a centre back and never will be. That injury crisis a few years back is still haunting us today.[/quote]Was he to blame for their goals?

I''d like to see Ruddy back in goal. McGovern is a good shot stopper but doesn''t command the area for me. Ruddy is more of a presence.

[quote user="Jack Flash"]I''d like to see Ruddy back in goal. McGovern is a good shot stopper but doesn''t command the area for me. Ruddy is more of a presence.[/quote]Got to disagree. Ruddy has been putting in performances along way from those that he did under Lambert for a couple of seasons now. McGovern has performed admirably and to blame him for our defensive frailties is quite frankly naive. We have leaked goals on a regular basis for 4 seasons now, yet pretty much nothing has been done to replace those that have failed defensively, and many are still getting games for us week in week out. I have always felt that Olsson is overrated by many, Brady is a winger, Martin is a right back and Bassong a liability. In January and next summer, regardless of what division we are playing in, we need to add at least two Malky-esque leaders at center back in addition to signing two left backs who can actually defend. Failure to improve our defence will lead to another unsuccessful promotion challenge or relegation battle (depending on our division).

We need an upgrade on tettey as a defensive midfielder. All action but panicks when the pressure is on and gives away too many fouls. He is the best at the club in that role but there must be much better than him out there. And yes we need to replace martin at cb

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]We need an upgrade on tettey as a defensive midfielder. All action but panicks when the pressure is on and gives away too many fouls. He is the best at the club in that role but there must be much better than him out there. And yes we need to replace martin at cb[/quote]

Soon be January. 👍

It was all about the lack oc a striker in September. If we''re still in contention on Jan 1st I hope it''s still about a striker.