Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Yippee, we are still top

Forgot about Huddersfield playing today and just checked.We are top despite failing to sign another striker in the summer, having a manager with hardly any experience and a chairman who cavorts about as if he he is having a trial for the binners as their new centre forward.We are top...... little ole Norwichso fark all you moaners, whingers, gripers and closet binners

I expect Huddersfield will have had their moment in the sun and that it will soon become a two horse race.

It''s ours to lose ... as they say.Totally agree about N''castle away.However what will tell this winter is the depth of various squads. The usually toll of injuries and suspensions will equal themselves out amongst the others but should be a great benefit to us.

ps would another season in the PL be as enjoyable as this ie travelling down to London om Tues as favourites rather than the whipping boys ?

Do you keep a winning team. Or do you tinker? Whichever way will please some and displease others. Some even want whichever it isn''t. Nice problem to have though[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Do you keep a winning team. Or do you tinker? Whichever way will please some and displease others. Some even want whichever it isn''t. Nice problem to have though[;)][/quote]oi, git orf moir threadthis is about us be an top not team selection

[quote user="Barbara Blacksheep"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Do you keep a winning team. Or do you tinker? Whichever way will please some and displease others. Some even want whichever it isn''t. Nice problem to have though[;)][/quote]oi, git orf moir threadthis is about us be an top not team selection

[/quote]
Well it''s becoming about Ched being not guilty of rape. Like every other thread. Including Rays Funds where the great man''s name has been substituted with ''Ched''. I can now understand why a poster may be moved to the point of issuing death threats. I''ll just be happy the day winky gets to lick that spoon.

Will we still be celebrating being top on Tues night I wonder ?I will say an emphatic YES

{which means this thread may be resurrected, or allowed to die depending on the result).

No. Achilles heel showing........ again. All very well to celebrate being top but getting too optimistic at this stage is pointless when we are so obviously poor at closing out games.  The penny doesn''t seem to have dropped with the players or the manager. After halt time, at  2-0 up we should have closed up and played to frustrate Fulham. Instead of which according to the manager we carried on the same after half time as we had in the first half.  We had the game won at 2-0 so why would we carry on the same? In that second half a defensive attitude set up to frustrate Fulham would have been more effective. Close ranks, nine men behind the ball would have meant Fulham had no space to work in.   The second goal particularly was criminal given the state of the game. Way, way too open.  The percentages are not being played - too often if we play one poor pass the team is stretched and out of position.  Time to realise that if we get two goals ahead in games we should close up shop and be defensive.It''s not rocket science. Two goals up and the opposition have nothing to lose and are going to go all out to attack, so if you are patient, keep your shape and bide your time you will get chances on the break to finish ne game. How we play  kind of works at home or against lesser opposition, but only just.  Newcastle away and now Fulham away surely means the penny has to drop?   Get ahead by two goals, bank up your players in a disciplined way and don''t let the opposition have a sniff.  We just don''t do that - but it''s about time we did.

So if we go two up on Saturday you''d be happy for Howson to come on for Murphy and Ryan Bennett for Wes ? I certainly wouldn''t.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]So if we go two up on Saturday you''d be happy for Howson to come on for Murphy and Ryan Bennett for Wes ? I certainly wouldn''t.[/quote]Howson may not be fit for Saturday. At two up I would bring on defensive midfielders for Wes and Pritchard and make sure there are no spaces for the opposition to get through us for the rest of the game. Thomson, Mulumbu, Dorrans and Tettey across the park with strict instructions to stay in shape and full backs to stay back.  It may not be pretty, but if two goals up, the effort would be appreciated if we keep a clean sheet for once.

So if we''re two up after 15 minutes and playing well and looking like we could go on to get three or four before half time you''d go all defensive. No thanks

I agree LDC.

It''s something we have not been able or even tried to do both last season and this. We don''t need to change the personnel to put it into practice so talk along the lines of bringing on Bennett and talking off Wes is not the point.

It''s about not pushing the full backs forward, dropping Tetty back to support in front of the back line so we are not so open to the type of pass that led to Fulham''s second goal. It''s about looking to catch the opposition on the break when time starts to go against them and they over commit looking for a goal by going slightly more direct to use the space they have vacated.

Unfortunately it looks as if we don''t have the inclination to manage the game in that way an therefore we will always be susceptible to opposition comebacks - there are quite a few examples that prove the point.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]So if we''re two up after 15 minutes and playing well and looking like we could go on to get three or four before half time you''d go all defensive. No thanks[/quote]There are circumstances that change things of course. But if we go two up with say 30 or 20 minutes to go, then tht is what I am thinking about.

lake district canary - The penny doesn''t seem to have dropped with the players or the manager.

Perhaps you should tell them.

As I''m sure it hasn''t occurred to any off them.