Sign in to follow this  
Number9

What can you recommend?

Without whinging too much and being fully aware of our league position, I think we can acknowledge the difficulties we have when it comes to protecting a lead.

What technically can be changed or what techniques can be used / substitutes made which will improve, what appears to be our main weakness?

I''ll start off by suggesting that a defensive minded midfielder replaces an attacking minded midfielder which may help to shield our defenders.

I understand that a key element in this position is for midfield and strikers to retain possession rather than give the ball away easily. And the threat of pace in our attack can serve to occupy the opposition defenders so they are not committing themselves forward too much.

I would label our team as not being professional enough to see out the game, but being positive, what would you recommend?

I''d be careful what you recommend Number 9.

Did you see the absolute slating that Alex Neil got from the ''experts'' on here for withdrawing an attacking player for a defensive one at Newcastle.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]I''d be careful what you recommend Number 9.

Did you see the absolute slating that Alex Neil got from the ''experts'' on here for withdrawing an attacking player for a defensive one at Newcastle.[/quote]

I think switching Hoolahan for a more defensive midfielder is a lot different to taking off a winger & effective, pacy outlet for a CB though to be fair

Don''t know how much emphasis AN places on sports psychology, but maybe that''s an area where we should be working more with the players.

Sure Mr Baboon - I wasn''t being 100% serious - hence the emoticon.

However, if we had followed Number 9s suggestion last night we''d have taken off Wes and replaced him with Thompson (the only defensive midfielder on the bench).

We would then have had Tettey, Dorrans and Thompson on the pitch - which would have made for one very congested central midfield and potentially a lot of confusion.

Of course - we could then have played Dorrans on the left.........................................

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]Sure Mr Baboon - I wasn''t being 100% serious - hence the emoticon.

However, if we had followed Number 9s suggestion last night we''d have taken off Wes and replaced him with Thompson (the only defensive midfielder on the bench).

We would then have had Tettey, Dorrans and Thompson on the pitch - which would have made for one very congested central midfield and potentially a lot of confusion.

Of course - we could then have played Dorrans on the left.........................................[/quote]

Probably down to squad selection and or transfer window activity?

[quote user="VanWink"]Don''t know how much emphasis AN places on sports psychology, but maybe that''s an area where we should be working more with the players.[/quote]

I agree entirely, I''ve no idea how much psychological coaching happens at Colney

"...pacy outlet "

blimey, it is mumbo jumbo day today

pacy outlet......which used to be called a player not so long ago

Sports psychologist- if a player wants to speak to him they can, if they don''t want to then they''re not put under any pressure to use him.

Giving up right now.

With the inevitable resurgence of Villa, Derby and Cardiff with their new managers we should settle for 11th place right now and avoid any further hysterical shrieking and heartbreak from the more delicate part of our support (poor lambs, there there).

Apples

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]If restful sleep is the desired outcome Herman I suggest you prescribe a trip to Poorman Road.........[/quote]ITFC ''The McCarthy Years'' DVD.[|-)]

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Sports psychologist- if a player wants to speak to him they can, if they don''t want to then they''re not put under any pressure to use him.[/quote]

Therein lies the problem, shouldn''t it be during the day to day management and coaching of the players that positive thoughts and actions are instilled and reinforced, surely not just left to a session with a quack.

All of our defenders are good players. They have some great attributes between them and while I don''t doubt that the likes of Martin/Pinto/Olsson/Basong/Whittaker are committed and desperate to do well for the team I don''t think any of them actually enjoy defending or relish a physical challenge.

None of them come to the fore more when the pressure is on, or when a striker tries to dominate them physically. Klose tries, but he can''t get in the way of everything and while Bennett would probably consider himself a out and out defender I don''t think he''s quite commanding enough and struggles to stay focused.

I think in january we need a couple of strong, gritty defenders who love clattering into and dominating forwards/throwing themselves at shots/out fighting opposition. Players who maybe don''t suit starting Rotherham at home, but would be really useful in away games and to help us see results out.

Who? I have no idea!