Sign in to follow this  
Buh

Welcome back, idiots

A formal welcome back to the knuckle dragging, canary calling "I can''t believe we lost 2-2" morons back to the site

116123 is the number for the Samaritans, just in case you burn the toast or the milk is out of date and you have a full mental breakdown

And 999 is the number YOU need to call if you have a burst aneurysm during your apopleptic rage.

We need to sack the manager NOW.

RIGHT THIS SECOND

IF WE WAIT ANOTHER 10 MINUTES WE COULD SLIDE FURTHER DOWN THE TABLE WITH HIM AT THE HELM.

I KNOW WE WERE TOP AND HE WAS MANAGER BUT ALL THE PLAYERS WERE IGNORING HIM ANYWAY AND THEY JUST CALL HIM ALIEN FACE AND IGNORE HIM IN TRAINUNNN.

WHAT? HES STILL IN CHARGE?!

BEST GO SUPPORT IPSWICH, THEY GOT A PROPER MANAGER.

*just saving CanaryOne, Highland, Seattle etc the trouble.

You can''t blame people for being upset, it sure feels like a loss.

People look for answers on forums like these because they are not always forthcoming from the club.

You have to admit, not everything in the garden is rosy?

[quote user="Canary Jedi"]You can''t blame people for being upset, it sure feels like a loss.[/quote]No, Newcastle felt like a loss (and it was), but a 2-2 away result at Fulham is hardly poor, they''ve been one of our bogey teams for years, and yes it''s frustrating to let a lead slip again, but we''ve played far worse at times and somehow got a better result, which just goes to show what football can be like as a sport.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Canary Jedi"]You can''t blame people for being upset, it sure feels like a loss.[/quote]No, Newcastle felt like a loss (and it was), but a 2-2 away result at Fulham is hardly poor, they''ve been one of our bogey teams for years, and yes it''s frustrating to let a lead slip again, but we''ve played far worse at times and somehow got a better result, which just goes to show what football can be like as a sport.[/quote]Its not the draw that was a problem. I forecast a draw on the scores thread and would have been quite content in the normal course of events. The persistent failure to close games out from comfortable winning positions is why we should be rightly annoyed at yesterdays results. The fact that this problem comes up game after game should be a worry and after almost a third of the season it hasn''t been addressed. 

I wouldn''t call 2 nil up, away from home, with half the game left, a comfortable winning position.

I know, some people are never happy...I mean, at least Dorrans has started producing now he''s out on the left.

Apples

[quote user="morty"]I wouldn''t call 2 nil up, away from home, with half the game left, a comfortable winning position.[/quote]Therein lies the problem Morty, because it certainly should be. It also begs the question of why 2-0 up at home has been so difficult to sustain this season.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Canary Jedi"]You can''t blame people for being upset, it sure feels like a loss.[/quote]No, Newcastle felt like a loss (and it was), but a 2-2 away result at Fulham is hardly poor, they''ve been one of our bogey teams for years, and yes it''s frustrating to let a lead slip again, but we''ve played far worse at times and somehow got a better result, which just goes to show what football can be like as a sport.[/quote]Its not the draw that was a problem. I forecast a draw on the scores thread and would have been quite content in the normal course of events. The persistent failure to close games out from comfortable winning positions is why we should be rightly annoyed at yesterdays results. The fact that this problem comes up game after game should be a worry and after almost a third of the season it hasn''t been addressed.  [/quote]We have failed to win when ahead three times. We have succeeded in going on to win after having a lead seven times, and eight if you include Everton in the League Cup. And we came from behind to beat Nottingham Forest. And this is in the Championship where, supposedly, anyone can beat anyone.

Nail on the head Ricardo, on every point you make. This consistent inability to close out games from relatively comfortable positions needs rectifying.

Those who close their eyes to the obvious think it makes them a superior type of supporter but in reality, it brings their football judgement into question.

How long has the CB pairing been woefully weak? Yes, we addressed 50% of the problem with Klose but still persist with what should be the non-playing captain. (Cue those in denial to get the scapegoat posts prepared).

Why proceed in such an important season, with such a glaring weakness which jeopardises the reward we get from the many plus points of our situation?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Canary Jedi"]You can''t blame people for being upset, it sure feels like a loss.[/quote]No, Newcastle felt like a loss (and it was), but a 2-2 away result at Fulham is hardly poor, they''ve been one of our bogey teams for years, and yes it''s frustrating to let a lead slip again, but we''ve played far worse at times and somehow got a better result, which just goes to show what football can be like as a sport.[/quote]Its not the draw that was a problem. I forecast a draw on the scores thread and would have been quite content in the normal course of events. The persistent failure to close games out from comfortable winning positions is why we should be rightly annoyed at yesterdays results. The fact that this problem comes up game after game should be a worry and after almost a third of the season it hasn''t been addressed.  [/quote]We have failed to win when ahead three times. We have succeeded in going on to win after having a lead seven times, and eight if you include Everton in the League Cup. And we came from behind to beat Nottingham Forest. And this is in the Championship where, supposedly, anyone can beat anyone.[/quote]

Which expert said "anyone can beat anyone" ? Ricardo crystallized the problem succinctly. He said : "The persistent failure to close games out from comfortable winning positions is why we should be rightly annoyed at yesterdays results. The fact that this problem comes up game after game should be a worry and after almost a third of the season it hasn''t been addressed. " Spot on IMO.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Canary Jedi"]You can''t blame people for being upset, it sure feels like a loss.[/quote]No, Newcastle felt like a loss (and it was), but a 2-2 away result at Fulham is hardly poor, they''ve been one of our bogey teams for years, and yes it''s frustrating to let a lead slip again, but we''ve played far worse at times and somehow got a better result, which just goes to show what football can be like as a sport.[/quote]Its not the draw that was a problem. I forecast a draw on the scores thread and would have been quite content in the normal course of events. The persistent failure to close games out from comfortable winning positions is why we should be rightly annoyed at yesterdays results. The fact that this problem comes up game after game should be a worry and after almost a third of the season it hasn''t been addressed.  [/quote]We have failed to win when ahead three times. We have succeeded in going on to win after having a lead seven times, and eight if you include Everton in the League Cup. And we came from behind to beat Nottingham Forest. And this is in the Championship where, supposedly, anyone can beat anyone.[/quote]You may not have seen them in your sun soaked hideaway Purple but several of those games we won with two goal leads we had very dodgy periods when the game could have gone the other way, Wolves, Wigan, Burton, Cardiff. I would love to pretend that all is sweetness and light but quite plainly it isn''t. I have yet to witness a totally convincing performance this season.

Agree with Ricardo on this. The Blackburn, Forest and Wolves games aside (didn''t see Rotherham), our performance levels have been slightly below what I''d expect them to be. We seem to be putting in 5-6/10 performances most weeks IMO. Fortunately this has been enough for us so far, and may even prove to be enough for us to get to the autos, but it sure doesn''t fill me with the greatest of confidence.

I went back through our results and counted 10 times this season where we''ve got ourselves a 2 goal lead. Of those occasions we''ve then conceded the next goal 7 times. 7 out of 10 times! That''s a big concern for me and we don''t appear to be addressing it either.

Threads like this just serve to drive a wedge between people into a bracket of either clapper and wetter, when really, 95% of the board are balanced enough to recognise both the positives and negatives of this season.

For me, I''m very happy with our position in the table but our game management is a concern and I believe it will need to improve if we are to secure an automatic spot this season.

[quote user="morty"]I wouldn''t call 2 nil up, away from home, with half the game left, a comfortable winning position.[/quote]Fulham didn''t score their first goal until 55 minutes so that''s hardly "half the game left".I think most teams would expect to win when 2-0 up, against a team who have won at home since the first day of the season, with 35 minutes left.So realistically it was a comfortable winning position.The trouble is that when we''re playing well, and for no reason, we continually dig ourselves into a hole, let the other team back in, and still keep digging.Neither the Manager, or the players on the pitch, appear to be able to fathom out how we get in the hole in the first place and even less, how to get out of it.AN has tried adding an extra defender at Newcastle and that didn''t work and last night he went for the other option and that, albeit to a lesser extent, failed too.Meanwhile there is complete panic on the pitch with absolutely no sign of control, direction, organization and calm coming from any of the players, least of all the Captain.  And as Ricardo says, we have seen this on a number of other occasions this season when we''ve only managed to get out of jail by the skin of our teeth.

So we did see those games out....and the games didn''t go the other way did they?? People agreeing with you because you''re ''ricardo'' but actually you''re simply doing what so many other whiners do, finding anything (in this case making the amazing statement that we could have lost but didn''t in all the games we had a dodgy spell in) to moan and panic about.

Dodgy periods? Erm every team in virtually every game will have dodgy periods, but they''re not 2nd in the league.

Your last sentence is the most positive of all. We have yet to witness a totally convincing performance this season...does that mean we won''t?

Playing with such dodgy periods and an inability to see games out and we''re only 2nd dammit. Neil out.

[quote user="Fiery Zac"]So we did see those games out....and the games didn''t go the other way did they?? People agreeing with you because you''re ''ricardo'' but actually you''re simply doing what so many other whiners do, finding anything (in this case making the amazing statement that we could have lost but didn''t in all the games we had a dodgy spell in) to moan and panic about.

Dodgy periods? Erm every team in virtually every game will have dodgy periods, but they''re not 2nd in the league.

Your last sentence is the most positive of all. We have yet to witness a totally convincing performance this season...does that mean we won''t?

Playing with such dodgy periods and an inability to see games out and we''re only 2nd dammit. Neil out.[/quote]I''m not whining at all I''m making a perfectly valid comment on what we can all see in front of us and what is clearly reflected by a glance at the League table and goals for and against.And re the other thread, as for changing my predictions based on the results........what do you do? I''ve found that blind faith to be highly unreliable.

I mean, really, it''s just not good enough is it...drawing away to Fulham...second in the league...

I MEAN, WHY THE F*K AREN''T WE SMASHING EVERYBODY 15 - 0, WITH A PERFECT RECORD (although I''m sure there would be some doom tourists still complaining even if we were).

Get a grip...or go and watch tennis instead.

Apples

[quote user="Mr Apples"]I mean, really, it''s just not good enough is it...drawing away to Fulham...second in the league...

I MEAN, WHY THE F*K AREN''T WE SMASHING EVERYBODY 15 - 0, WITH A PERFECT RECORD (although I''m sure there would be some doom tourists still complaining even if we were).

Get a grip...or go and watch tennis instead.

Apples[/quote]I''d be perfectly content with 1-0 if I thought we could hold onto it and we should be well good enough to that.A game should only need to be won once.

I''m with Hank S S and Ricardo - and am also balanced in my view:

1. we ARE less than convincing as we cannot easily prevent pressure or let in goals in key matches - this (over many years of watching us but other teams too) will not necessarily translate to automatic promotion and like Ricardo says, the play offs are a lottery

2. we ARE a very decent team and we are all happy with our position and points average - but underlying defensive issues still remain to be tackled

3. there is time to sort this out

4. Neil does leave something to be desired as does the team in managing in-game pressure - the team need to learn to contain and have several plans (Mourinho is the master of many strategies - not necessarily pretty but they work) and secondly, AN needs to handle game momentum in his subs and timings much better - the number of times he doesn''t change the dynamic of a match is worrying (and Lambert was very good at it)

5. Most people trust AN

There we are - not happy clapping or miserablist - some of the posters on here are infantile in criticising too easily.

Do people even watch our games?

7 out of 10 times we''ve conceded the next goal after getting ourselves a 2-goal lead. 7 out of 10 times we''ve gone from being comfortably ahead to either hanging on with relief at the final whistle or dropping points.

Without getting stats up, I can confidently say that teams at the top of the prem rarely end up hanging on by the skin of their teeth in games where they have gone 2-goals up. Certainly a lot less than 70% of the time anyway.

Is this not an issue that deserves to be talked about on a messageboard? Or shall every post attempting to discuss it be blown completely out of context? Who exactly should get a grip Apples?

Great to see a thread like this developing into a proper discussion. Restores my faith in this board. And for the record our inability to hang on to leads such as last night is a serious concern, doesn''t mean we are a bad side, but is something that needs to be addressed, particularly before we go up.

[quote user="ricardo"]

You may not have seen them in your sun soaked hideaway Purple but several of those games we won with two goal leads we had very dodgy periods when the game could have gone the other way, Wolves, Wigan, Burton, Cardiff. I would love to pretend that all is sweetness and light but quite plainly it isn''t. I have yet to witness a totally convincing performance this season.[/quote]No. The last game I watched was the European Championships final, which is hardly relevant to the argument. I haven''t seen any football at all since then.

It''s great to see the so called idiots making cogent points on what has turned into an interesting debate. i''m sure this is not what Buh was expecting but support from the other apolgists who surprisingly avoided jumping on the Buh bandwagon. Sincerely hope this change for the better.

I presume I fall into the category Buh labels ''idiots'' by having opinions opposite to Buh, not posted such views of late as this would be churlish in the extreme given the teams performance since Birmingham. However agree that Neil''s use of substitutes needs to be better.

I also noticed Buh stopped reacting to the Op early on in the piece duly noted must be sulking.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]

You may not have seen them in your sun soaked hideaway Purple but several of those games we won with two goal leads we had very dodgy periods when the game could have gone the other way, Wolves, Wigan, Burton, Cardiff. I would love to pretend that all is sweetness and light but quite plainly it isn''t. I have yet to witness a totally convincing performance this season.[/quote]No. The last game I watched was the European Championships final, which is hardly relevant to the argument. I haven''t seen any football at all since then.[/quote]The perhaps you might take my word for it that despite many positive results we have not looked convincing in the vast majority of games. There is a certain lack of composure and control that makes me hesitate to call this an auto promotion year. I crave to see us look the part but as yet it is proving elusive.

"Restores my faith in this board."

Yeah, the board on which your primary contribution is trolling and splitting hairs.

Goodness me man, if you want the board to be "better" then improve your own contributions first.