Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Chris Martin - would you have him back ?

To understand why a footballer performs well you have to look at all the factors both on and off the field. There are a variety of personal reasons which mean Martin returning would not be a starter and would never be a success at Norwich if he returned.

No, not at all.

He''s away from being a Premier League striker and we are aiming for promotion. What would be the point?

Having said that, I have seen him play very well for Derby, but that seems to have gone wrong for reasons unknown to me and he''s decent at Championship level for sure..

He''s still a decent striker when he has the motivation, and he definitely had that last night, but I can''t see him putting in regular good performances in the Championship.

Can you imagine him being asked to play the single striker role on a regular basis, like Cams, toys would surely come out of the pram?

We need to be aiming higher than Chrissy and planning for what will hopefully be a PL season next year!

VW, did he not predominantly play as a lone striker for Derby and is currently doing so for Fulham?

As a footballer, I''d definitely have him back, always rated him and personally think he''s a step up from Jerome, certainly his finishing is significantly better.

As already mentioned, it''s his off field antics that are the problem. Lord only knows what he did at Derby to persuade them to loan out their top scorer for the last few seasons with evidently no replacement!

Clint - I don''t think that Martin is a step up from Jerome. I think that Jerome is faster, stronger, better in the air and works far harder.

If you could morph the two of them together and add Martin''s finishing to Cam''s other qualities then you''d have a dam good player. :)

His finishing is a step up from Jerome but in no other way does CM offer what Cam does. Spend some time simply watching Cam during a game to see the work rate he puts in. No, CM isn''t and wasn''t lazy whilst at city but there was a reason he got such a reputation.

Jerome works as a lone striker consistently, CM doesn''t.

Clint

His goals certainly dropped off at the end of last season, I''m not sure how often he was played as a lone striker at Derby, but from what I recal of him at Norwich he never had the work rate for that sort of role and his head would drop if he wasn''t getting the ball.

I appreciate he a completely different style of player to Cams for example, and his finishing is probably better, but can''t see him fitting what we do atm.

if we were looking at a stay in the champs, yes, if we have any future plans and ambitions - no.

He was totally anonymous in the first half-even when we''re not playing well Cam still puts in the effort, CM wasn''t doing anything until he scored. Second goal was well taken though.

we will need him for our homegrown quota in the champions league soon so why not!

seriously though, probs not. he would be another option as opposed to an improvement so unless we got injuries it''d be a no.

swap for lafferty though and it''s a resounding yes.

As a different option to CJ and Olive then absolutely if a sensible deal was on offer.If we could get shut of Lafferty and pay little to nothing for Martin in exchange then it would be a good signing at this level, but the problem is that we''re looking at being in the level above again next season, and by that point we''ll surely be looking to spend money on someone to replace Jerome, rather than a 3rd/4th choice striker...I personally still feel that Chrissy could peform in the prem in the right setup, and his finishing is still some of the best you''ll find (and that includes against a few PL strikers already), and are we seriously going to hold the mistakes of his youth against him forever? People do grow up and learn you know...

At the time we sold him I thought he would have been decent back-up to keep, and I still think that. I certainly don''t think he''s better than Jerome, and Oliveira I''m yet to judge. I would assume Oliveira has been signed with a return to the Prem in mind - Martin is okay at this level, but has never been able to make it in the Prem. Mind you of course, neither really has Jerome.

Re Jerome vs Martin, I don''t think it''s a question of either/or as they''re different types of forward.However, Jerome is clearly the weaker of the two, more of a handy workhorse. Martin has PL quality and wins hands down in a straight comparison.