Sign in to follow this  
Donkey dangler

I want a clone of Trevor Hockey RIP

Can remember him with his headbands scared the living day lights out of apposition players RIP

I get your point but referees are sticker these days . I think he would get too many red cards.

I bit more bite in midfield would be welcome though.

I wish were early 1970s Norwich[:''(][:D](I may have asked this before, but have completely forgot the answer). As he was before my time, honest, why is he a cult hero? His name gets mentioned a few times,but looking on wiki he was only here for a tiny amount of time.

[quote user="Herman"]I wish were early 1970s Norwich[:''(][:D](I may have asked this before, but have completely forgot the answer). As he was before my time, honest, why is he a cult hero? His name gets mentioned a few times,but looking on wiki he was only here for a tiny amount of time. [/quote]

He was a huge character in the game at the time with a fiersome reputation and a look to match.  Given that at the time we weren''t used to big names coming to Norwich, he was something of a celebrity from the word go.  He therefore was an instant hit with the crowd.  A no nonsense, bite your legs up and at''em kind of player.  I don''t know why he only stayed a short time, just a few games, perhaps someone could enlighten us..... 

Ta. Looking at his stats, other than Brum, he didn''t stay at many places very long.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Herman"]I wish were early 1970s Norwich[:''(][:D](I may have asked this before, but have completely forgot the answer). As he was before my time, honest, why is he a cult hero? His name gets mentioned a few times,but looking on wiki he was only here for a tiny amount of time. [/quote]

He was a huge character in the game at the time with a fiersome reputation and a look to match.  Given that at the time we weren''t used to big names coming to Norwich, he was something of a celebrity from the word go.  He therefore was an instant hit with the crowd.  A no nonsense, bite your legs up and at''em kind of player.  I don''t know why he only stayed a short time, just a few games, perhaps someone could enlighten us..... 

[/quote]Hockey was brought in after a run of 11 games that yielded 2 draws and 9 defeats.Relegation was staved off with 3 wins and 3 draws from the final 13 games. Hockey took much of the credit but it would be fair to say that the legend was bigger than the man. Ron Saunders wanted an experienced stopgap who could win the ball in the trenches and he picked the right one and IMO most of the credit lies with him. Would we have survived without Trevor Hockey? IMO probably not. Those 13 games were the total of his City career, he was here then he was gone.

It is 30 years next April since his death which i seem to recall involved him suffering a heart attack whilst playing 5 a side football. He arrived at Norwich in a swap deal with Sheffield United which saw Jimmy Bone going in the other direction.

[quote user="OldRobert"]Died of a heart attack at 43 years of age, 25 years ago.  Makes you think.  RIP.[/quote]Apologies, as Til rightly says it''s 30 years next April.  Senior moment!

[quote user="Herman"]I wish were early 1970s Norwich[:''(][:D](I may have asked this before, but have completely forgot the answer). As he was before my time, honest, why is he a cult hero? His name gets mentioned a few times,but looking on wiki he was only here for a tiny amount of time. [/quote]

Here he isappears on 1m 24secsafter being booked, the home support started  chanting     Hockey is a werewolfotherwise a very pivotal game which decided who went down, us or WBA

He resembled the wild man of Borneo with his long hair, socks round his ankles and no shin pads. I used to wince when he flew into tackles but that was his trademark. He was what we would call these days a defensive midfielder and was as hard as nails. He wouldn''t spend much time on the pitch if he was playing now.

To be honest off the pitch he probably spent his time helping old ladies across the road while cuddling baby lambs but on the pitch he was probably borderline psychotic. Short stocky bloke who looked like a caveman, acted like one and probably ate raw meat.Managed to get himself booked in four consecutive games and was quoted in the '' Eastern Evening News '' as saying he didn''t care how many times he got booked as long as Norwich stayed up. Wouldn''t have lasted five minutes in today''s game.A true City legend.

I did a mini campaign to get Hockey into our hall of fame. I don''t think it''s likely to happen though. I guess only playing 13 games handicaps him. But will there ever be another player held in such high esteem after so few games?
What a man he was. Not just as that wholehearted player but a fabulous coach of youngsters. I met him properly in 1985. My son Duncan won a half-term football coaching week at Pontins. Trevor was one of the coaches and the kids loved him. Duncan was the youngest and Trevor took a real liking to him. We have a picture somewhere of young Duncan with Trevor Hockey wearing one of his international caps. He also brought with him his collection of football shirts he had swapped with after games. Even Pele''s if I remember correctly. He was proud of his success and just loved playing football. His wife played football too! And as Tilly says he died a couple of years later playing football. What a shock that was[:''(]
He may not be in the hall of fame but he''s in the 60s/70s greats for our Still On The Ball group. Being as I made the cards it was never in doubt[:)]
He also found time to release a pop record.Unfortunately it was called ''Happy Cos I''m Blue'' which is of course an oxymoron[;)]
You can hear it here : -

Shame folk never seem to remember Paul Ches lee eitherI think that Mellor (Spider) was having a shotOtherwise we had beaten Chelsea the week before and hauled ourselves level at the bottom with Palace and WBA, all three of us on 28 pointsit was only two down and two pints for a win - a real four pointer

We were then stuffed at Wolves two days later, with Palace at home the next day. All I remember was the weather that whole w/e was cr ap and it was murder trying to get into Carrow Road that night. The ground was packed. Horrendously packed.We were then on 30 points with the other two on 28. A win would mean Palace were down although WBA could equal us if we lost the following game and they won both of theirs.What a night, I can tell you

Trevor Hockey was a legend to little old me back in the mid 80s. He had the shirts of Pele, Cruyff and Best (if memory serves) and he took a shine to me after I stood out in the pouring rain at 6 years old waiting to do the training drill again.

I was completely unaware of his on pitch reputation but just found him to be a warm, friendly bloke who loved football just as much as this way too keen 6/7 year old.

I remember when he died. Nutty was in the bath at Ketts Hill and broke it to me gently from there.

Top man and would be far more deserving of a HOF place than some of the tripe in there.

"Nutty was in the bath at Ketts Hill and broke it to me gently from there.

"

didn''t you have one at home ?