Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

And on to Preston (h)

my nephew''s first game on sat so we better win!

I''d get pritchard back in for murphy but go otherwise unchanged. shame howson won''t be ready though.

Difficult to know. Two ways to go with it imo if we get aead in games - 1. Team doesn''t seem able to keep clean sheets even when its trying to, so might as well go all out attack for 90 minutes and get goals three and four.2. Get ahead and close ranks and play with ten men behind the ball.  At the moment we don''t seem to do either - it''s kind of a halfway house. So, for me, same team as last Saturday with Pritchard and Wes, then if we get ahead by two goals, take off Wes and Pritchard, bring on Thompson and Brady with strict instructions to the team to play with ten men behind the ball and stifle the opposition and make sure we keep that clean sheet.

Would definitely start Prtichard in place of Brady.

I appreciate what''s being said about shutting the shop if we get a couple ahead but that doesn''t seem to work for us either.

I don''t think our tendancy to concede so easily is necessarily a tactical or personnel problem per se, it''s a psychological problem possibly linked to a lack of fitness. Players are more likely to make wrong decisions when they are fatigued.

Going goals up against Preston and then sticking ten behind the ball would be suicidal. We can''t defend so getting deeper and deeper would be foolish. We''re best off going for as many goals as we can.

The best form of defence is attack after all.

For me, I''d like to see the same team as Saturday.

Didn''t we get 10 men behind the ball against Newcastle?

How did that work out?

However, the good thing about the Championship is after a disappointing midweek result, you are just a few days away from getting a chance to put it right on a Saturday.

Beat Preston, we have 7 from 9 in a week (including away at THAT bogey team), and would have lost 1 out of 10 games...

Who could honestly complain at that?

Nobody could complain RB, that would be excellent.

It does give an indication of the task in hand though as that quite possibly wouldn''t be enough to hold on to the top spot we held at the start of the week.

This is going to be one hell of an achievement if can make the top two.

From the Fulham team thread (posted before the game):

17/10/2016, 6:27 PM

Re: Errr, right......team for Fulham?

Can we risk Martin in our defence?

--------------------------------------------

I say again, can we risk Martin in our defence?

I just still have nightmares over last time I saw Bennett vs Preston (0-2 away Adams last game). I know it''s completely irrational (was 2 years ago, Bennett was coming back from injury, Adams had lost it) but he was awful that day!

Realistically though, I think we give the Klose/Martin partnership another go, see how the game goes and give Bennett and Bassong a go vs Leeds and potentially next week could be time to swap Martin out for Bennett.

We put a lot of stress on our centre backs with our flying full backs and I wonder if it''s time for Mulumbu to be considered to give them more protection. Perhaps it''s just our style and we''ll have to simply focus on scoring at least 2 goals a game?

Mulumbo ?? My head tells me he will get shifted out in January as all he does is flirt with the substitutes bench when he is fit that is.

Wouldn''t be surprised but he''s played well this season when he''s played. He''s a more defensive option than the others bar Tettey and may take the stress off the Centre backs.

Agreed LDC, I believe in time Thompson will be an upgrade on Tettey, really has looked the part albeit in the cup games/U23 matches and Neil must be thinking he''s a potential starter by making the bench a number of times. Needs to be given a go, give ol Tettey''s knees a rest too :)

Louis Thompson, he''s been a slow burner, but I hope he could now step up. He''s had plenty of playing experience at Swindon, it''s not as if he has been a City player playing youth or under 21 footy for ages, he has held his place down as a regular in the lower division. Throw him in and give him his chance.