Sign in to follow this  
canarydan23

A paradox

I''ve been struggling with something. You see, I think Alex Neil is a very limited manager who is unable to promote us via the top two and probably not even by the playoffs.

According to Pinkun lore I should be a pant-wetting idiot who listens to the games on Radio Norfolk from a comfy armchair. The trouble is, I haven''t pi*sed myself for a good few years, I''m pretty smart and have been to all the home games and a few away.

You see, I can''t ignore the following:-

1) Of our 8 victories, 7 come from teams currently 15th or below. Four of those against the bottom four teams.

2) There are only 5 teams who have conceded more than us.

3) Our manager drops players after good performances (Pritchard) but persists with players who play poor (Brady. And Dorrans will start next game).

4) Neil takes an age to work out patently obvious facts. How many blunders did Whittaker make before being consigned to the scrapheap? If only we could''ve let him go fo free in the summer. How long will it take him to realise Martin is not the player he was?

5) Neil is too tentative with changes. Today was desperate for a half-time alteration.

6) Our five results against current top ten teams are WDLLL. Not in that order.

7) Despite playing most of this league''s worse teams, our wins are generally poor and scrappy.

Once we''ve played a few more games against the better teams in this league we will have a position more reflecting of our performances. I''d say 9th or 10th. Despite the fact that on paper and by wage budget, transfer spend and Premier League experience we are basically the Barcelona if the Championship with Newcastle the Real. Imagine if either of them were performing as woeful as we were.

The right manager would walk this squad back to the Premier League. We''re dawdling towards Championship midtable obscurity.

I''m off to change my pants. And lick a window.

You missed the fact that you are obviously a Binner for voicing your concerns with a well written post!😀

1) of our 8 victories, we won all 8 of them. Doesn''t matter to me who they''re against.

2) so even though we know we need to improve defensively there''s still 5 teams worse than us? And we''re still only a point of top 2.

3) agree with this, Pritchard should have started on Tuesday and today. Dorrans has been great this season so that bit makes no sense. Watch him, you''ll see.

4) fair point

5) subs made on 54th min. Good attacking subs. Other than the fact Pritchard should''ve already been on they were the right changes at a good enough time to affect the game.

6) don''t think league position is a factor. As we have shown, we can beat anyone (inc ourselves) and shouldve beaten Newcastle.

7) playing poorly and winning, I''ll take that.

Pant wetting binner.........why aren''t we Preston!

Very valid points and pretty much how I feel.

A thoughtful post and I have to say I did think it would be an underwhelming season before we kicked a ball. That was based on AN in the second half of last season plus the failure to add much to the defence. I have however been pleased we have started so well ....indeed I have hoped that we would ''play our way'' into the season and get better. It could still happen?

Neil has become a desperately defensive manager in terms of his starting line ups. You HAVE to approach the Championship in a different way. Yet we don''t set up to play to our strengths .imo.....and we have a fabulous squad. The other day we had over £20m worth of talent on the bench. We should be much more convincing.

We just have to see if we can recover or fall away. But the games against Newcastle and Fulham were just those kind of games that an automatic promotion team would have held in to win. You just know that we are not unfortunately. Perhaps we can consolidate and try our hand in the play offs. It is still early days. An interesting 6 weeks now comes and it will probably define our season.

I disagree with the subs. We brought on another forward but took off both wide players resulting in a lack of supply. Our only option become to try and play it through the middle, which was then too congested and relatively simple to defend against.

I anticipate I''m in the minority here but I think Dorrans is cak. His shots waste so many attacks either straight at the goaly or straight at a poor fan sat several rows higher than the crossbar. He loves a sideways pass and is also quite keen on a short pass for the opposition to intercept, sometimes to the cost of two points (see Fulham on Tuesday).

And 8 victories is 24 points regardless of opposition. But it is significant unless you believe we can go up by only besting awful teams. The thing about a league is that you have to play every team twice. You can ask the football league if we can play Rotherham, Wigan and Blackburn a few more times but I doubt they''ll let us.

The only question that really matters is do you think Neil can get us promoted. Based on all the available evidence I think the answer is absolutely not. I would love to be proven wrong and to have Buh politely say "Ha, told you stupid mother fu*kers, go support Ipswich tw*ts" whilst we all toast a promotion.

I''d also love to win the Euromillions. And for Labour to win under Corbyn. And to see a pig fly. And to sleep with Scarlett Johansson.

Brady was NOT playing wide at all. He was far too central all game and with Wes there it was too congested. Pritchard offered more width despite not actually being a winger.

An interesting OP.

Some good points, it''s hard not to be worried the way we are playing atm.

Time for AN to earn his crust. He''s got plenty of options.