Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

MacDou-GOAL!

One of my favorites too. Him and Addams were our best penalty takers I can remember.

Might be an interesting read as he was quite a complex character apparently.

I am holding out for our cross dressing, trailer park dwelling ex player whose name escapes me.

Or perhaps Peter Mendham''s tales from Wormwood Scrubs.

When there was a claim recently that van Wolfswinkel should have been played as a pure goalscorer, with the team and tactics picked accordingly to utilise him as such, I thought of MacDougall, who was the nearest Norwich City player I have seen to fit that description. MacDougall was several times better than van Wolfswinkel (he would have scored many more than the 7 goals van Wolfwinkel managed in his three seasons in top-five level) football), and could possibly have played that lone role, but even he had a target man to feed off in a 4-4-2 and do much of the heavy lifting.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]I am holding out for our cross dressing, trailer park dwelling ex player whose name escapes me.[/quote]Tony Powell.

[quote user="staffordshire canary"]Him and Charlie Boyer my all time favourite front 2.[/quote]Would agree with that.Doubt MacDougall would get anywhere in today''s game though. Brilliant selfish finisher but wouldn''t graft. Boyer worked his wotsits off as his provider but Super Mac was never a team player at all.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="staffordshire canary"]Him and Charlie Boyer my all time favourite front 2.[/quote]Would agree with that.Doubt MacDougall would get anywhere in today''s game though. Brilliant selfish finisher but wouldn''t graft. Boyer worked his wotsits off as his provider but Super Mac was never a team player at all.[/quote]

What a time it was to be a City supporter when those two were up front... or so it seems now , but is my memory playing tricks on me.?

Wasn''t it all part of some plan to get Bournemouth into the top division much earlier than last year?

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]I am holding out for our cross dressing, trailer park dwelling ex player whose name escapes me. [/quote]That story was denied by Powell in an interview in the Mail on Sunday in 2002 when he was 55.http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/players/powell.htm (Sorry can''t do clickys)

Loved the MacDougall/Boyer partnership .Great time to be a Norwich fan.

MacDougall wandering about upfield, hands on hips like he couldn''t give a 5hit, pass from Boyer. Bish, bash bosh. Back of the net.

Good old fashioned ''goalhanger''.

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]Loved the MacDougall/Boyer partnership .Great time to be a Norwich fan.

MacDougall wandering about upfield, hands on hips like he couldn''t give a 5hit, pass from Boyer. Bish, bash bosh. Back of the net.

Good old fashioned ''goalhanger''.[/quote]As a double act they were one of the best. Having grown up as a child in Norfolk and witnessing a lot of dour mid-table football, the early John Bond era was just amazing, with McDougall and Boyer as the stars. I don''t know how John Bond was persuaded to leave Bn''mth, but his leagacy, the way he transformed the club and the players he was able to bring in was just amazing.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Katie Borkins"]I am holding out for our cross dressing, trailer park dwelling ex player whose name escapes me.[/quote]Tony Powell.[/quote]With all his alleged baggage it''s not surprising his name brings on '' amnesia '' Tilly.....[;)]

TIL 1010 wrote the following post at 07/10/2016 4:53 PM:

Just for us old codgers some magic from Super Mac and Boyer at about 3 minutes 40 secs but watch and enjoy it all. Great memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TT1hMvjjXM

Wow Til I haven''t seen that for years. Super Macs goal against West Ham is one of my favourite ever moments, hanging on the net and then two - finger saluting the West Ham board. I was a 10 year old about level with the penalty spot in the South Stand . What a day.

(Week before that we had beaten Liverpool at Anfield )

Had lots of arguments about him. People saying he didn''t work hard enough but my argument was give him the ball in front of goal and bang its in the net what more do you want. I remember the two goals against Man U in our 2-0 in ''74. Had a great partnership with Charlie Boyer, would be great to have a pair like them now.

]Had lots of arguments about him. People saying he didn''t work hard enough but my argument was give him the ball in front of goal and bang its in the net what more do you want. I remember the two goals against Man U in our 2-0 in ''74. Had a great partnership with Charlie Boyer, would be great to have a pair like them now.

Are you talking about the League Cup semi final? We drew 2-2 up at Old Trafford and he got both, then won 1-0 at CR Suggett scoring. Both games were on Midweek Sport Special but never been able to find highlights, would love to see them again if anyone has any reference to these games.

[quote user="willo"]]Had lots of arguments about him. People saying he didn''t work hard enough but my argument was give him the ball in front of goal and bang its in the net what more do you want. I remember the two goals against Man U in our 2-0 in ''74. Had a great partnership with Charlie Boyer, would be great to have a pair like them now.

Are you talking about the League Cup semi final? We drew 2-2 up at Old Trafford and he got both, then won 1-0 at CR Suggett scoring. Both games were on Midweek Sport Special but never been able to find highlights, would love to see them again if anyone has any reference to these games.[/quote]
What a game that was at Old Trafford. I was there that night and when the ball got stuck in the mud to leave Stepney stranded and MacDougall scored I feared we wouldn''t get out alive. We had seats and theit fans were climbing up to get us. Talk about making a sharp exit...
I''m sure it was the guy from earlier in the thread, Tony Powell, who scored the first goal though.
We had a great run in that competition. The previous season we lost in the semis to Wolves and the year before that we lost at Wembley to Spurs. Of course we lost at Wembley against Villa that year too and we had to wait 10 more years to finally win one. 30 years after that we won at Wembley again in the play-off final. That is my favourite because I  shared the day with My kids and grandkids and some great PUPs from here. I doubt that one will be topped but you never know...
Oh, MacDougall and Boyer. Just superb. Supermac was probably the most clinical goalscorer we''ve ever had and Charlie was probably the best centreforward playing with his back to goal we ever had. In tandem they were pure magic Gerry[:)]

Always been my all time favourite front two. Superman and Phil Boyer. Boyer was the first Norwich player to get an England cap I believe. Goals and guile made them a brilliant combination.

Had lots of arguments about him. People saying he didn''t work hard enough but my argument was give him the ball in front of goal and bang its in the net what more do you want. I remember the two goals against Man U in our 2-0 in ''74. Had a great partnership with Charlie Boyer, would be great to have a pair like them now.

Are you talking about the League Cup semi final? We drew 2-2 up at Old Trafford and he got both, then won 1-0 at CR Suggett scoring. Both games were on Midweek Sport Special but never been able to find highlights, would love to see them again if anyone has any reference to these games.

What a game that was at Old Trafford. I was there that night and when the ball got stuck in the mud to leave Stepney stranded and MacDougall scored I feared we wouldn''t get out alive. We had seats and theit fans were climbing up to get us. Talk about making a sharp exit...I''m sure it was the guy from earlier in the thread, Tony Powell, who scored the first goal though.We had a great run in that competition. The previous season we lost in the semis to Wolves and the year before that we lost at Wembley to Spurs. Of course we lost at Wembley against Villa that year too and we had to wait 10 more years to finally win one. 30 years after that we won at Wembley again in the play-off final. That is my favourite because I  shared the day with My kids and grandkids and some great PUPs from here. I doubt that one will be topped but you never know. Oh, MacDougall and Boyer. Just superb. Supermac was probably the most clinical goalscorer we''ve ever had and Charlie was probably the best centreforward playing with his back to goal we ever had. In tandem they were pure magic Gerry

Was too young for away games but was at the home semi. Would be great if Anglia TV could put together a 70''s DVD as lots of our games were on TV on match of the week, some great games and goals, also our runs in the league cup were shown on Midweek Sports Special after News At 10 during the week, would love to see those games again...

I was at the home game when Suggett scored to take us to Wembley,it was only the 2nd game i''d been to and i remember the atmosphere made the hairs on your neck stand up 35,000 there i think ,i seem to recall Suggett saying he sort of handballed it into the net.

[quote user="yoda"]I was at the home game when Suggett scored to take us to Wembley,it was only the 2nd game i''d been to and i remember the atmosphere made the hairs on your neck stand up 35,000 there i think ,i seem to recall Suggett saying he sort of handballed it into the net.[/quote]Yes, what a night that was....Sadly the Cockney Reds decided to redesign the city centre and rampaged up Prince of Wales Rd into London St smashing all the shop windows on the left hand side.I walked down there the following morning on the way to work and it looked like a bomb had gone off. It was such a mess that an MP brought it up in the the House of Commons the next day.

Great partnerships include Ted Mac and Phil boyer and I liked David cross and Jimmy bone ,bone was amazing on his arrival but liked a drop of the hard stuff ! . 35000 crowds were a regular thing in those days and the atmosphere was something I will never forget ,the yellow and green scarf raised by almost the whole crowd singing .bit different from the almost silent games played today .

I reckon football was more fun back then compared to today.

Footballers were less athletic than their modern counterparts but I think the better players had more football skills and the old skool pros were more unpredictable. It seemed more exciting - or am I viewing through nostalgic glasses?

[quote user="willo"]]Had lots of arguments about him. People saying he didn''t work hard enough but my argument was give him the ball in front of goal and bang its in the net what more do you want. I remember the two goals against Man U in our 2-0 in ''74. Had a great partnership with Charlie Boyer, would be great to have a pair like them now.

Are you talking about the League Cup semi final? We drew 2-2 up at Old Trafford and he got both, then won 1-0 at CR Suggett scoring. Both games were on Midweek Sport Special but never been able to find highlights, would love to see them again if anyone has any reference to these games.[/quote]

Just checked it out because I didn''t think I''d watched the fa cup away and no, both Norwich and MU were relegated to 2nd Division in 1974 and met on 28 Sept 1974 and we beat them 2-0 at Home in Div 2, MacDougall scoring both.