Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

Sunderland tracking Brady

Because of course he is bound to want to go there in January isn''t he, just to get the third relegation on his CV?

They''ll probably want Ruddy as well; and Naismith.

They might as well have Russell Martin, Bassong, Turner and Whittaker while they''re at it. Then they''ll almost have a whole new team not good enough for the Premier League, to complement their existing team not good enough for the Premier League.

Apparently Sunderland are up for sale and the prospective new owners are interested in replacing Moyes with Sam Allardyce. Whilst I don''t see us selling Brady, an offer of £20 million would probably be accepted. I doubt Allardyce would want Naismith.

While I''m a fan of Brady, I think 20m is a good valuation given his age and potential and the state of the market; We have plenty of capable players coming through now and I feel like that''s 20m which could buy us one or both of a good striker or center back, so I''d not be too upset if this does happen. Anything less than £20m though and Sunderland can sod off.

I''d be pretty happy with £10m for him. He''s a little overrated.

He is nowhere near a £20m player even with the crazy fees out there these days.

Barring that goal vs Wolves he ain''t really done anything for us since January.

After such a good summer with Ireland I must say I expected more from him. He obviously is a good player as he has shown for Ireland and his 1st half of last season. Not a left back and not really a left winger.

Sell for around £15m and get two decent centre backs, offloading some of the deadwood in that area.

Blimey if Sunderland after going to appoint the ever honest Allardyce City better lay a fair number of brown envelopes.

[quote user="VanWink"]Indeed Highland

Hardly a strategy for future success.[/quote]A weak rumour isn''t a strategy.

Brady not essential to City, Pritchard can get a start even Naismith and even Jarvis although limited still to come back and Josh M also to cover. With the £12m or near can get decent CB in Jan more of a priority.

That always presumes the decision is ours.If Brady has a release clause and is offered better terms why should he stay ?

Move Klose wrote:

''''Barring that goal vs Wolves he ain''t really done anything for us since January. "

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Agree with this, largely anonymous since the turn of the year and would not be a huge loss IMO. £10m would be very good money for him.

You''ve got to weigh up receiving £15-20m versus losing on a Bosman, ie a £7-12m profit versus an £8m loss. There are other risks eg injury, loss of form, as well as the risk of losing out if a player appreciates in value after selling or the damage to form caused by selling.But don''t kid yourself that keeping our best players is always the best strategy, particularly when we''re trying to compete against bigger/better financed clubs.

not good enough defensively to be a full back.....doesnt offer enough going forward to be a left winger, far rather Pritchard played there.

not putting his back into it this season as much as he should be.

If he put the same sort of effort in as he does for Ireland he should be one of the best players in this league.

Questioning where he should be playing to get the best of him now and can only conclude , either on the left of a narrow midfield 3 in a 4-3-3.....or the left hand point of a midfield diamond and as were unlikely to deploy him in either maybe we should cash in in January, although you''d have to question his sanity if he joined Sunderland.

keeping or selling Brady isnt going to be the difference between finishing in the top 2 this season....failure to address our central defensive problem might.

Sell him and use the money to buy a pacey defender to compliment Klose.

25 million and they can have Naismith, Brady, Andreu, Lafferty and |Mulumbu

Whilst I accept Brady hasnt been that great this season, I have a couple of concerns about selling him, even for say £12-14 million.

Firstly, how far would that money actually go in January? The summer transfer window was bonkers and therefore January is likely to be a different animal altogether, with prices and dealing being outrageous. We struggled to get certain players in the summer despite having around 4 months to do business. Getting the business of replacements done in 4 weeks is going to be a tall order.

Secondly, given the uncertainty around Olsson, Brady represents our only other viable option at left back as things stand (even if he is far from ideal there). Olsson is likely to have his head turned by some decent pre contracts offers from abroad in January. So a large slice of that fee would need to be reinvested in that area of the pitch before anything else could be done.

Thirdly, in terms of our left sided attacking options, I''d almost write Jarvis off for this season in all honesty. When he eventually returns he will have had no pre season and it will take a while for him to get back up to any kind of match speed.

Pritchard I still view as more of central option like he was at Brentford, which is evidently how Neil sees it based on his selection vs Fulham. So it would also leave us a bit short in that area as well - depending on who comes in.

No club gets anywhere by selling their best players. He is one of those for us and one of a very few with genuine Premier League quality.

[quote user="whoareyou"]No club gets anywhere by selling their best players. He is one of those for us and one of a very few with genuine Premier League quality.[/quote]The trouble is that if he isn''t showing any of that quality for us, which we all know he has, is it worth keeping him around?

Form is temporary, class is permanent - keep him, be patient and he will be a great player for us.He''s suffered quite a few injuries and two or three serious knocks on the head so I think you can explain his dip in form since the Euro''s.Furthermore, after his relegation experiences with Hull and us he''s unlikely to want to put himself in that position for a third time so I can''t see him wanting to go to Sunderland as they look to have more than a 50-50 chance of going down.

''No club gets anywhere by selling their best players''

Unless your Southampton that is...

However, with Brady, IF he was to go to Sunderland, he would potentially be walking straight into a 3rd straight relegation - would he really want that on his CV?

Would he then look to move yet again from Sunderland?