Sign in to follow this  
Rich T The Biscuit

No Idea, No Plan B and No Leadership

Why do we always struggle to play against so called lower teams, this is a team that has very little footballing ability and they just made us look hopeless.

When playing these sides who are very direct and only want to play the long ball we have no idea how to deal with it, does it need to get to the point of buying some 6ft 7 giant centre half and centre forward just to compete.

And as for leadership, I know there are lots of Martin lovers on here but really, what does he give the team, he''s a captain that only blames others and just points, maybe the rest of the team need to go to sign language lessons to understand what they are supposed to do. We concede and he stands there confused with what to do next and it wasn''t until Klose told him did he realise he needed to get the ball so we could get on with it.

Yes he''s a model pro and last at training and looks after himself and is a lovely guy blah blah blah but honestly, time to move him on!

And whilst we''re at it, was does Olsson or Brady give us these days, both clearly want out and whoever picked Olsson as MOM clearly was related.

Brady has been the biggest disappointment of the season. I was worried he would leave but he has had a poor start, that wonderful goal aside.

We''ve got players who are far superior than most in this division.

The majority of the opposition we''ve faced this season has been bang average at best.

Surely we can only point the finger at one person?

Bringing on Oliviera and sticking Wes out on the right wing? What was he thinking?

This so called lower team are three points from the play-offs, seven points behind us and are unbeaten in seven matches including a 3-1 win against Huddersfield this week.

They play to their strengths well, have a game plan and execute it well.

I agree we have a leadership problem on the pitch but we have no God-given right to win every game at this level with an expensive squad.

If you want a team to live up to that expectation, you need to follow Barca, Basel or Rosenborg.

I want a team that competes and can do the basics, like picking up at set pieces!

Simple basic stuff that these well paid professionals should be able to do but we seem to lack at simple stuff.

I want a leader that leads and drives the team forward, not one that doesn''t communicate other than pointing.

Alex Neil simply is winging it.

He has no idea what he''s doing with a more than capable 24 man squad in this league to be in the top 2 all season.

Buy big money players and then call them out as not being good enough and sit on the bench.

No squad rotation 3 games over 7 days one or two changes when he''s clearly stated there''s fatigue with players.

Above all completely lied about Howsons injury saying he''s been training when in actual fact he''s had surgery and out for the rest of the year

This manager needs to learn quicker or get rid because we will not finish in the top 6 with the same game plan as it has been throughout this season. We''ve be poor for at least 10 out of the 14 games now starting to get the results the performances deserve.

Not good enough!

I would disagree with the OP on two points....1) PNE are the form team in the Championship at the moment and 2) There was a Plan B.

That all said Plan B was equally as rubbish as Plan A and whilst PNE had clearly done our homework on us, we clearly had not done our homework on them. I do not think I have ever witnessed a game at Carrow Rd where all the players with the exception of the opposing GK spent the majority of the game in the Norwich City half. The PNE plan was obviously compress the game, for me the change should have been the introduction of more pace not less, we played into the hands of PNE by going long, instead of trying to get round the back of them. I have to say I am beginning to wonder if Alex Neil has reached his level, it can no longer be argued that he is "learning", we have arguably one of the best squads in the division, we need somebody with a lot more nouse and knowledge to get the best out of that squad......

to be fair ,there was a plan b today, when we went 2 up front which is something we havent seen for a while.....unfortunately Oliverira isnt looking up to the job.

a criticism would be that we didnt use a plan c today. why when we still have another sub available wouldnt we take off a defender in the last couple of minutes (even when Martin was injured late on) and chuck on Naismith or Josh Murphy??

May I suggest a leader unfortunately not on the pitch but maybe could buy us one, that is Paul Lambert.

The thing that irks me is that we start from the fantastic position of having better players than pretty much every team in this division bar one. Imagine if we had a management team who could drill the defence to keep clean sheets or to score a few from set pieces by having some decent, organised moves. We don''t to any of these things to "play the percentages" we just seem to wing it and hope our extra quality prevails.

I think the best team won today. PNE had a game plan, extremely well organised and for a 10 minute spell in the first half they totally bossed possession and in fact could have 3 goals before they scored had it not been for McGovern. A massive wake up call for a lack lustre City today. I think we looked lost, no shape, toothless up front and inability to defend a basic set piece situation. A pivotal stage in the season now...

How did we have these better players? This is something new isn''t it? At the end of August our players supposedly weren''t good enough to challenge and now without consistently impressing they''re the best in the league. Which is it?

Nige, who said the players aren''t good enough. Names please. Are they the same posters that are saying we have the best in the league now. Interested to find out if they said nthat and then changed their minds!

[quote user="Capt. Pants"]I think the best team won today. PNE had a game plan, extremely well organised and for a 10 minute spell in the first half they totally bossed possession and in fact could have 3 goals before they scored had it not been for McGovern. A massive wake up call for a lack lustre City today. I think we looked lost, no shape, toothless up front and inability to defend a basic set piece situation. A pivotal stage in the season now... [/quote]

I wouldnt go that far.....Preston came to stink the place out, played no football and played aimless hoofball.

They came for a 0-0 , a win was a lucky bonus.

Not saying we deserved to win by any means, but the game didnt deserve more than a goal less draw,

yes teams will look at how preston defended today....but how many will come here and either have the ability or the desire to exucute it this season?

Obviously most teams will come here looking for a point at best, but then it''s our job to break them down and get a result. Today we lacked width, for some reason we packed the midfield when PNE were playing directly out from the back and seldom got behind them. PNE played a high line, especially in the second half, and stopped our fullbacks getting into their half. A highly mobile Pritchard gave them problems for a short while, but we never looked likel scoring.

If answering two of your posts is following you around then guilty as charged! Off to bed now anyway, got to be up early off to Brands Hatch to watch my son race! BTW, who were those posters?

Squad''s a mess is one I remember. But there were loads more than that. Do you really want me to start calling posters out? It''s all there in the archives of you want to look.

Have a good day tomorrow.

Why the meltdown first home defeat In 7. I feared this fixture one are in good form and one goal was going to settle this game and sadly we didn''t get it. Big kick up the bum but far from the end of the world

Blimey, lose a game at home and all of a sudden were leaderless and inept. Get real. The Championship is no stroll in the park. We were never going to walk this league. Its a disappointing result, but after that dismal second half at Fulham this was never a given. Fair play to Preston if you ask me. We will bounce back.

As a few of us kinda worked out before the start of the season, there would be losses. But we would win and draw many more than we would lose, and I believed that we would be challenging for the title. Well, nothing''s changed for me, and this season is going how I expected thus far - today was one of those losses though in all honesty I feel that our players can perhaps raise the bar a little higher than where it''s at now. I rate a lot of those players highly and think there''s more to come. Looking forward to a response on Tuesday in the Cup - hope Pinto''s back because he''s my player of the season so far and I feel we missed him today.

I don''t think this is the end of the world, certainly not since we''re in and round the top of the league. That said, after over two seasons in charge certain aspects of AN''s tenure are starting to solidify.However, some of these troublesome aspects have been there under previous managers. They are basics which seem to indicate deep-lying problems within Colney that have failed to be addressed.Fitness seems to have been problematic for several seasons now, perhaps indicating that something isn''t right within the sports science, medical and nutritional departments. These are areas which are very esoteric, difficult for the layperson to comprehend, hence relatively hard to know whether the ''experts'' are indeed doing a good job.Fitness can obviously be influenced by the manager, but AFAIK the above components are outsourced to the aforementioned experts and generally fall outside of the manager''s remit. Perhaps someone should separately be in charge of the fitness side of things (if this isn''t the case already).The big one for me is the way we play, as we''ve consistently failed to do the basics of passing and possession correctly. This was something that was a key aim of McNally, to get in a manager to ''play to style'', in order to bring consistency to the club at all levels. After two full seasons our football has yet to be restored to its former glory, at least at first team level.Someone needs to enforce this key policy, and if AN and Irvine fail to deliver then we''d have to consider replacing one or both. It''s important that we improve our standard of play as opposed to sacrificing quality in the pursuit of short term gains.I think the two basic issues above indicate problems somewhere between the board, the football board and the management at Colney, as these problems have been recurrent under several managers. Given the longstanding nature of these problems, to me it looks like a general management, area of responsibility issue.Ultimately this should be recognised at board level and changes implemented from there downwards. Perhaps a good start would be to have a Director of Football sitting on the main board, and for the existing members to acquaint themselves with the issues at hand.