Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Someone explain this to me....

Taken from Paddy Davitts twitter feed after the game yesterday- someone asked him about why Neil is persisting with Murphy when he looks knackered. The response from AN (via Paddy)...

Paddy Davitt ‏@paddyjdavitt 20h20 hours ago

just been asked that. AN making the point no howson, mulumbu or jarvis means it is needs must, in his view

Huh?

Well obviously you''ve never seen Mulumbu on the right wing 😉.

And Josh Murphy, Pritchard, Naismith & Canos couldn''t play there 🙈.

The fact that AN has said that playing Murphy is a must because Howson, Mulumbu & Jarvis are out injured

1. Murphy has not been effective since the international break. He needs a rest before people get in his back & knock his confidence

2. Of those 3 players Neil mentioned, only 1 is a winger. Yet Pritchard, Canis, Josh Murphy could all play there and are fit

What don''t you understand?

It''s a little bit odd as Jarvis is the only one who you would regard as a like for like replacement. Josh and Canos are both fit, as far as I know.

Could it just be that he doesn''t consider those players either fit enough or good enough to start right now, rather than assuming he has somehow taken leave of his senses?

Could that be the case?

But AN didn''t say that, he explicitly said that Murphy must play as Howson, Mulumbu and Jarvis are injured.

Therefore the only player we have to cover Murphy is Jarvis.

People are saying that Brady shouldn''t play because he has been poor recently, but Murphy has not been much better over the last 3 or 4 games

If AN admits Murphy is tired yet Naismith Pritchard Canos etc can''t get into the team it''s a bit of a concern as our attacking midfield was the key strength we had over other teams in this division, particularly in depth.

Seems plenty of others have explained what''s confusing about it Morty.

And if your theory is correct and all three four of Pritchard, Canos, Josh Murphy and Naismith aren''t fit enough to start then that would raise serious questions about our coaching.

[quote user="hogesar"]If AN admits Murphy is tired yet Naismith Pritchard Canos etc can''t get into the team it''s a bit of a concern as our attacking midfield was the key strength we had over other teams in this division, particularly in depth.[/quote]Its perplexing to say the least.  AN sounded a bit down yesterday, understandably, hopefully he will get a boost on Tuesday.  Canos has loads of talent - lets hope at least he can play his way into the reckoning.

Signs of cracks emerging, not sure AN has the bottle to hold his nerve at the top, big test for his managerial credentials, 9 games until the half way point, we don''t need to be in top 2 but just keeping pace. Fingers crossed he can sort this mess out, I''ve no idea where you begin to sort the calamity that is our defence.

I don''t actually think our defence is a calamity, it obviously needs work but it''s almost a natural result of how high we play our wingbacks.

Maybe it''s time for a formation change? Is it time to play out and out wingers? 4-4-1-1?

Not sure but you get the impression we are becoming a bit more predictable.

I really don''t get the Canos scenario. Was he THAT terrible at Birmingham to be purged from the match day squad ever since?

Maybe he didn''t respond well to criticism that came his way after the final whistle at St Andrews???

Didn''t AN also say he wasn''t happy with the team at Fulham? But then didn''t change it (apart from the Pinto/Bennett enforced change).

Watching the Chelsea game, I do wonder if our players could fit the formation Chelsea are playing.

They use a back three with wing backs and it gives their attacking midfielders the freedom to get close to the striker without having to worry about defending too much.

We could line up as...

McGovern

Bennett, Martin, Klose

Pinto, Dorrans, Tettey, Brady

Pritchard, Wes

Jerome

You are questioning my intelligence?

After this thread?

Rich!

I''m not asking the pinkun forum if all place for answers to simple questions, Forrest Gump.

Why is everyone falling over themselves to get Jacob out of our team? What''s he done to justify being dropped apart from not costing the same money as Pritchard, Canos or Naismith?

@Nutty

I think the general consensus is he looks bit tired right now. Not his fault but he''s not been at the same high standard he set himself to begin the season. I''d drop Brady before him but I could see an argument for giving him a game or two''s rest.

He won us a pen at Fulham? Five goals this season. I''d start him and Jerome for now ,11 goals between them. I agree about Brady but think he was probably picked for his energy especially with Howson out. Pritchard doesn''t have the same intensity which I guess is why he doesn''t start. His time will come though because he is a super footballer. 

Probably because he''s been pretty quiet for the last few games. He won the pen at Fulham but that''s about it in the last 4 games. Alex Neil himself says the lad looks tired and you can see that.

I think it''s more the baffling explanation that Alex Neil gave to his own point.

"You say your right winger looks tired but you''ve still started him the last 4 games"

"Yer but I don''t have a winger who''s been out injured all season, and I have a holding midfielder and central midfielder injured"

[quote user="king canary"]Taken from Paddy Davitts twitter feed after the game yesterday- someone asked him about why Neil is persisting with Murphy when he looks knackered. The response from AN (via Paddy)...

Paddy Davitt ‏@paddyjdavitt 20h20 hours ago

just been asked that. AN making the point no howson, mulumbu or jarvis means it is needs must, in his view

Huh?[/quote]

Options:

a) I''m sure Josh could play on the right

b) Canos

c) Josh on the left, Brady on the right

d) If we are short of players try young Lewis

I don''t get it. He is a very well built lad and as regards fitness should be near his peak. He has not been very involved in the last 3/4 games - how can he be tired. I believe it is mainly due to a lack of good coaching in that he allows himself to somehow become closely marked by his full back and is rarely given the ball quickly in space. The main culprit is Hoolahan who tends to keep tapping short balls up the left rather than switching play quickly and providing Jacob with some time and space to make an impact. Additionally it is clear Jacob does not like mixing it very much. He is showing some lack of confidence.