I am really surprised by the negativity on this board. I know we have started the season poorly but we have improved, and this week we had 3/4 of our first choice midfield out.

Please reply if you remain positive, just to prove to me I''m not the only optimistic soul around

Don''t be surprised. It''s like the River End on downers in here sometimes. If we win though they all go away for a bit, except Wiz. With "supporters" like him who needs opponents?

hi bly number nine

i think you will find if we have to witness too much more of this, all our glasses will be empty and we will all be on the floor

mine''s a large glass of wine by the way 

cheers!

You are not the only one, but most of the positive supporters give up posting after a while due to the excessive whinging, leaving a majority of whingers on the board. 

We''re getting there, and we''ll make the play offs at least.

The first half on Saturday was not good to watch, but I saw (and I''m sure you all did) enough in the second half to suggest we''re on the right track and not too far away from the kind of performances we all want. Yes, Millwall at home is a game we should be winning, and had we had a bit more luck and a decent referee, we would have done quite comfortably.

We''re three points away from a play-off spot and unbeaten in three...I said we''d see the best from us from the 10th game onwards, and we will. Sacking this manager is not the answer, it''s the easy option, and more likely to backfire than be positive for the club...

This season is far, far from over...Write off Nigel and his team at your peril!

I remain optimistic. From my experience of following Norwich, we are likely to go from drawing against Millwall at home to beating both Luton and QPR away.

I think we have improved and, given we have not played well and have had lots of injuries, I think we are well-placed to put a serious challenge in for play-offs at least. We will see if Sheff U and Reading can last the distance.

Personally, I think it''s what great about being a football fan. I want us to be there or therabouts when we come to he business end of the season and given where we are now, I think we will be.

[quote]We''re getting there, and we''ll make the play offs at least. The first half on Saturday was not good to watch, but I saw (and I''m sure you all did) enough in the second half to suggest we''re on the ri...[/quote]

I agree , we are getting there, though very gradually and not as quickly as we would want.

Until then we just have to grin and bear the verbal assaults of those not able/willing to see it that way.

[quote]We''re getting there, and we''ll make the play offs at least. The first half on Saturday was not good to watch, but I saw (and I''m sure you all did) enough in the second half to suggest we''re on the ri...[/quote]

Good to see you back, Campbell, I was wondering where you were...

My glass is still brimming, and I''m sitting back with my feet up on the table, waiting for the minimum of 6th place and a little play-off run to Wembley.  If we don''t get up at the end of the season, then I will finish my pint and agree with everyone else that it''s time for Worthy to go.  Till then, everyone should just calm down a bit.  We were once given the No.13 shirt for our ''never say die support''.  Or, if you like, we were given the No.13 because all of our glasses were always full.  Shame that we don''t seem to deserve our number any more...

Yeh i agree at the moment the season is far from over, and i believe that i''ve seen enough to concrete that we can stil make the play-offs at least, when and if we get on a good winning run, who knows what could happen!

Let''s be havin u boys!!!!

OTBC!!!!!!!!.... 

[quote]Thanks Folks, I am much encouraged by this show of optimism OTBC[/quote]

What a refreshing thread.  Supporters supporting their team through the tricky times.  Nice.

My glass is just about half full, but that''s taken up by an inch of froth.....I''m getting really concerned - so I''m putting some clingfilm over the top of my glass to stop the evaporation of the fluid that remains.

I have this vision of us getting a good walloping from Luton tonight, due to various factors, but mainly the injury situation and the lack of depth and no credible replacements in our squad. I feel that 2 players (at least) will leave this club in January if the right money is offered-and because quite frankly, I feel we are going nowhere at this moment in time.

I was baffled with the team-sheet on Saturday, and yes, I accept that some changes were enforced, but, 15 minutes into the game I was squirming uneasily on my seat at the way we were playing. Second half was obviously a vast improvement, but against what I thought was a team that was below average quality in the Championship.

I will try to remain positive, as our previous games have maybe given us a glimmer of hope of at least reaching the play-offs......But, if we don''t fare well over the next 4 games- I personally think that our season is over and mid-table will be the ultimate outcome.... 

I hope I''m proved wrong, and I can cheerfully say: "Bung another half in there for us mate"...(But removing the clingfilm first of course!) and that my meat pie isn''t just half full!  OTBC ;~)

I''m in there with the glass more than half full. Of course we''re just naive, blinkered, keep the faithers but hey who''ll care when we''re celebrating promotion which I still firmly believe is within our grasp.

SPat I know for sure your glass is always full, infact mostly overflowing down your shirt mate! 

Must admit to my glass being half empty and feeling a little flat after Saturday. Still a win tonight and the fizz will start to return. It''s a strange season and we have never really got in our stride with ether form, injuries or some good old fashioned luck.

Here''s hoping with no more internationals and some players returning fit we can put a sustained winning run together and in this league we should be in the top six by end of November if that was the case. Then it''s anyone balls game, but Sheffield United are looking strong and Palace worry me as the team that will take second place.

Still a day out in the smoke is always welcome in May!

[quote]Thanks Folks, I am much encouraged by this show of optimism OTBC[/quote]

Half Full. 3 points off the play-offs, 33 games left to go. Hardly season-ending stuff.

Infact looking at the table theres nine points between sixth and bottom! A very tight division. Once we start showing our class, start scoring penalties, and Deano hits form (Its strange writing that, as he is by far our top scorer despite being below-par) then we will rise up the league.

Head in the sand or smelling the coffee?

Despite my concerns we are still very much in the promotion hunt (and will not get ino a relegation battle) with the following reasons to be optimistic

• we have THE best strike force in the division
  • our best defenders are as good as any in the division
  • an england class keeper
  • a manager who knows what it takes to escape this division
  • we remain just 3 points of a lay off spot
  • not one team has looked a class above us DESPITE our current form
  • We CAN beat ANY team in this division.
  • a good run of games will propel us quickly up the league

Balanced against that is the evidence that we have seen on the pitch in 15 games so far

• there is no sign of consistency coming and giving us teh run we need.
  • no clear prefered line up
  • players not performing at their best
  • tactical ineptitude
  • slow to change a team on match day when tactics are not working
  • poor substitutions
  • poor squad building (too small, limited creative options & only 4 recognised midfielders)
  • poor passing skills & limited off the ball movement
  • no development or improvement of players
  • limited (forced) introduction of youth players
  • over reliance on effort over ability
  • the only team we have beaten who are above us in the league were a 10 man Ipswich
  • we have struggled to take points of some VERY poor sides, both home and away
  • positive desire to use players out of their prefered/best position.
  • we are only 5 points of a relegation spot

When do we draw a line and say mid table is not good enough - 6 and 10 games have gone - is it 15, 20, 23?  Much beyond halfway through the season and it willbecome much more difficult to close the gap.

My view remains that this squad properly used should be sitting far higher in the table than it currently does and playing far better football than we are.

The challenge to the manager is to change the performances away from a side that COULD get promotion and starting performing like a side that looks like it IS a promotion candidate.

Despite the injury crisis my confidence is growing that we will get something out of todays game.

OTBC 

Quality post from Zipper - nails it on the head really.

The reasons to be optimistic should outweigh the less optimistic but then that is the problem with what in my view is fast becoming one of the most frustrating seasons that I''ve ever witnessed.  We MUST get something out of the game with Luton - even with our injury problems we still possess a team of some quality that should be able to come away from Kenilworth Rd with at the very least a point.  

Glass half full or empty - ask me tomorrow when I''ve either drunk half in celebration or chucked half of it on the floor whilst gesticulating wildly about Worthy and the team!

I haven''t posted for a while because almost everything I wanted to say has already been said by Zipper or Gazza.

I associate myself with all that Zipper has said over the last ten days and especially his post above.  We do want City to succeed and if they can do so in the present regime then I will be delighted.  If not then we need a new regime.

For all the reasons Zipper outlines, the simple fact is that however full the glass is, it is not as full as it could or should be.  However Dicky and the others spin it, keeping the faith is not going to overcome or remove all the missed opportunities of the last 18 months.  The glass needs filling and filling quickly!!

United in our love for City

Cambridge, dont think because I have said something and you agree with it that we/I dont want to hear from you - I am not saying simply post ''I agree'' but tell us your thoughts and expand on them - I want to have other peoples views explained to me and have my mind shaped by them - that is why I bother posting on here - I want to TALK to people who share a passion for NCFC. One line posts dont do it for me.  

I am equally sure that there are somethings you dont agree with me on (unless mum hasnt told me about some long lost sibling...:blink and I want to know why that is.  I WILL listen to peoples ideas and WANT people to disagree with me - it helps me to sharpen my view if I continue to disagree or alternatively come round to your way of thinking.  How can I learn if no one will explain to me why my views make me a binner????

If one of the reasons people dont post is because I say too much then tell me to shut up!  I wont stop  (I simply cant - docs prescription to support it) but I will try and cut down!

OTBC  

Try being realistic. Think of the glass as being twice as big as it needs to be.

We are terrible. We have little or no flair with regard to either tactics or even simple dead ball situations.

We signed Hughes - sunday league clogger, always has been (good captain tho, shame he can''t play football)

We took Jarrett, has ANYONE figured him out yet. what a waste of £5k a week......

Marney - surprised me, thought he''d be better than that.....

Sadly the coaching staff are as good as we are likely to get, possible exception being Peter Taylor. So this is it folks. Pay your money, make your own judgement, and most important have your say, good or bad. I pay for my seat and have done for nearly 40 years, so if I want to boo some lazy sod on the pitch, or express my opinion on the hughes money being flushed down the toilet then I will thank you.

To be honest Zipper these boards have been so boring with the true fan/your''re a binner/whinger etc. that a post saying "I agree with Zipper" and not adding any thing would not be of interest or use to anyone.  Mainly you''ve got there first with quality comments.  Good on you mate !!

I have disagreed with you in the past and would have disagreed with you once more if you''d been down on Hughes again who I feel is a much better ball player than you give him credit for but you''ve stayed off that one recently.

We have problems and there is a difference between blind faith and constructive criticism.  Like you I want City to succeed and will support them to the bitter end.  I just don''t believe this administration can do it.  There is another thread along the lines of how long has Worthy got before enough is enough?  My answer would be Fulham, may 2005.  But he is in charge and I still want us to win every game and get promoted.  As Gazza says elsewhere in her preview of tonight, whether it is good or bad we should tell like it is.

United in our love of City

[quote]My glass is just about half full, but that''s taken up by an inch of froth.....I''m getting really concerned - so I''m putting some clingfilm over the top of my glass to stop the evaporation of the fluid...[/quote]

Mmmh! I think I must have dropped my glass......Quote: "I have this vision of us getting a good walloping from Luton tonight"....

I must stop eating cheese before I retire to the land of Nod!