Sign in to follow this  
Crafty Canary

How good is Klose really?

A serious question, not a wind-up. Given we concede a goal a game and often through unforced errors how culpable is Timm in this? Whilst the defence gets frequently pilloried by us, he is rarely mentioned as ever being a fault.

I would appreciate the views of those of you who regularly attend matches home and away as you will have seen him often. The impression I have is that whilst he is our best centre back he hasn''t been at his best this season. Is this fair?

I get what you''re saying but I do think he''s very good. His supporting cast however not so much. I don''t think McGovern or Ruddy inspire huge amounts of confidence, none of his centre back partners are particualrly reliable and I don''t think the midfield gives them enough cover. I don''t think he seems comfortable right now and doesn''t trust those around him.

However he hasn''t stood out as many hoped this season. I''d love to see him with a pacier partner next to him and a more disciplined central midfield to offer protection and see if he might look more comfortable.

That''s fair. I''m a big fan of his but he''s only really been about on par with his first couple of appearances for us where he looked a little shaky.

I think we''re putting too much responsibility on him to carry the rest of the defence and from what i can see, I don''t think he''s really enjoying the frenetic, agricultural style of play we come up against in this league.

I hope we''re in the auto''s through January or I really worry we''ll lose him

Thanks for these views and I hope others will offer theirs. I agree that sometimes our frailties at the back owe more to the performance of our defensive midfielders than it does to the defenders. Is Tettey currently as effective as his card count has dropped significantly and that might suggest he is not getting stuck in so much as he was. I''m told that Thompson is very good at protecting the defence when he plays. Could it be time for him to show what he can do in the first team?

He''s a very good centre back but is seriously lacking in pace, so well always be in trouble when opposition have pace in attacking areas or we''re hit on the break. I think if we had another centre back of his skill next to him, it would really compliment him. We need more pace at the back.

I think he''s our best. and I think him with Martin are our best pair. They play a positive game together where as I though yesterday Klose and bennett didn''t play like a pair. Ryan Bennett much prefers to defend deeper. It''s quite obvious with the players we have that the team play with the emphasis on attack. We are playing every most games with 4 attacking players with attacking full backs. Those tactics aren''t condusive to clean sheets and we rely on scoring more than we concede. It''s what most fans SAY they want. I worry about playing that way through the winter months.

I think he struggles with the pace and physicality of English football. All our centre backs are incredibly slow and as Alex Neil insists on our fullbacks bombing forward at every opportunity it leaves them exposed. The amount of times we get done with a ball over the top is embarrassing. Most teams who play with attacking fullbacks have a centre midfielder who slots in as a centre back to make a back three with this happens. We haven''t got this or anybody with a brain who senses danger.

I find it worrying that our manager hasn''t addressed these problems in the transfer windows. Everybody can see we need at least one pacey defender and a midfield protector and he spent our budget on Pritchard, canos and olivera. All players who he doesn''t hardly play.

Exactly that with the pace opinion. I think put him with a quicker centre half and I think we could have a good pairing. Probably why we were looking at that young french lad.

He is excellent in the air. He reads a game well, and has good positioning. He is decent on the ground and in the tackle.

He is also a good leader, and is often to be seen bringing the other defenders out in a line to catch the opposition off side.

He seriously lacks pace.

Realistically, he is about as good as we could hope to have. If he had all of the above qualities plus blistering pace, he wouldn''t be at Norwich. So we should be glad we have him, but probably seek to pair him with someone quick.

[quote user="Empty Mirror"]He is excellent in the air. He reads a game well, and has good positioning. He is decent on the ground and in the tackle.

He is also a good leader, and is often to be seen bringing the other defenders out in a line to catch the opposition off side.

He seriously lacks pace.

Realistically, he is about as good as we could hope to have. If he had all of the above qualities plus blistering pace, he wouldn''t be at Norwich. So we should be glad we have him, but probably seek to pair him with someone quick.[/quote]
Like if Tetty''s passing was faultless.
But I would qualify that with "he wouldn''t sign for Norwich" because I always hope one of those exceptional players comes through the youth like say a Bellamy...

[quote user="vlad666"]I think he struggles with the pace and physicality of English football. All our centre backs are incredibly slow and as Alex Neil insists on our fullbacks bombing forward at every opportunity it leaves them exposed. The amount of times we get done with a ball over the top is embarrassing. Most teams who play with attacking fullbacks have a centre midfielder who slots in as a centre back to make a back three with this happens. We haven''t got this or anybody with a brain who senses danger.

I find it worrying that our manager hasn''t addressed these problems in the transfer windows. Everybody can see we need at least one pacey defender and a midfield protector and he spent our budget on Pritchard, canos and olivera. All players who he doesn''t hardly play.[/quote]

I''m sure we''d have bought another defender if we''d sold Brady, Lafferty or Naismith.

How good is Klose ?

One of our better players but he lacks consistency but maybe that''s to do with motivation seeing as he''s in a league he didn''t sign up for nor has experience in.

He had a great run in the team before his injury at palace last season.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I think he''s our best. and I think him with Martin are our best pair. They play a positive game together where as I though yesterday Klose and bennett didn''t play like a pair. Ryan Bennett much prefers to defend deeper. It''s quite obvious with the players we have that the team play with the emphasis on attack. We are playing every most games with 4 attacking players with attacking full backs. Those tactics aren''t condusive to clean sheets and we rely on scoring more than we concede. It''s what most fans SAY they want. I worry about playing that way through the winter months.[/quote]

Talk about supporters getting the club they deserve! It is completely idiotic to think that a club like Norwich can survive in the EPL by attempting to score more than they concede. Explains the signing of Pinto perfectly. Fans like a defender who looks good going forward but can''t defend at all, certainly not in the EPL. If fans are being given the team they want it explains relegation and it explains the long-term inability to defend. Football clubs should be run using conventional wisdom on how to build a winning team. You don''t solve childhood dental decay by prescribing a course of sweets and fizzy drinks.

Fans out. Clever people in.