Sign in to follow this  
johncolt

Corner Takers ?

Who is our best corner taker? Do we have a best corner taker? This thought comes to mind after seeing one of Wes Hoolihan''s corner kicks go into the side netting on Saturday.

Wes''s midfield performance has rightly been praised this year, but as a corner taker, not to mention a penalty kick taker NO. His liking for wasteful short corners or not getting them past the first few opposition players has happened too often. Jacob Murphy is often at fault this way also.

We shout for the wide men to put the ball across and into the penalty area, yet we so often waste these dead ball opportunities.

Surely we must have a player who can curl the corner away from the keeper if we are outside the area, or into the keeper if we are packing the area. The latter is what PNE seemed to do on Saturday causing chaos in our area, leading to the goal. We seemed to do the latter - at the Community stand end at least - leading to nothing

In the last few minutes against Fulham, Murphy had 4 chances (corners & FKs) to get the ball into the box & delivered 4 poor balls (according to the radio...)

Yesterday we are desperate for a goal & Hoolahan tries a clever short corner to the near post & literally passed it along the ground into the side netting. Just do the basics & get a ball into the box to at least give us a chance. It was the sort of corner you see on Youtube...

Brady can hit a good dead ball, but is woefully out of form.

Pritchard can hit a good dead ball but requires at least 1 player to be injured to be considered for starting a game

I don''t know why but i thought Dorrans could take a half decent corner - but yesterday, with time pretty much up we had a free kick just inside our own half. Instead of launching it long, he passed short back to Mcgovern, who passed short back to Dorrans, who finally hit a long ball

Why can we not do the basics?

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]In the last few minutes against Fulham, Murphy had 4 chances (corners & FKs) to get the ball into the box & delivered 4 poor balls (according to the radio...)

Yesterday we are desperate for a goal & Hoolahan tries a clever short corner to the near post & literally passed it along the ground into the side netting. Just do the basics & get a ball into the box to at least give us a chance. It was the sort of corner you see on Youtube...

Brady can hit a good dead ball, but is woefully out of form.

Pritchard can hit a good dead ball but requires at least 1 player to be injured to be considered for starting a game

I don''t know why but i thought Dorrans could take a half decent corner - but yesterday, with time pretty much up we had a free kick just inside our own half. Instead of launching it long, he passed short back to Mcgovern, who passed short back to Dorrans, who finally hit a long ball

Why can we not do the basics?[/quote]

KISS is a good maxim for a lot of things - in football especially.  Maybe too many of our players'' heads are still in the premier league.  This is a league where "keep it simple, stupid" makes sense. Some of our players maybe need to realise that.

Murphy and Pritchard are our best set piece takers but I don''t think they are any great shakes. Brady should be better. Wes needs to stop taking them and especially needs to stop trying to persuade people to take them short.

Also that Dorrans free kick at the end of the game yesterday was bizarre.

Yes Rogue, Murphy''s delivery was pretty poor in the last few minutes at Fulham, didn''t clear the first defender once-totally wasted.

We have no one who can put over a decent cross except Maddison and he can be found in Scotland.

He put over a good cross for Rooney to header against the bar yesterday.

What does it say about our coaching?

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]That corner from Wes in the second half has to be one of the worst I''ve seen[/quote]

If someone can make a clicky , much appreciated...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzsTpwkhLg

This is immediately what sprung to mind, it honestly wasn''t much better, especially when you have brought all of your big men forward & are desperate for a goal

Did Gary O''Neil really leave because we wouldn''t give him a 2 year contract? If so, that does seems daft. It did at the time he departed - and even more so now. We may have 27 midfielders or whatever it is, but none have the all-round capability he has...

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard "]Did Gary O''Neil really leave because we wouldn''t give him a 2 year contract? If so, that does seems daft. It did at the time he departed - and even more so now. We may have 27 midfielders or whatever it is, but none have the all-round capability he has...[/quote]

I thought it was the amount of money, not the length of contract that "did us"

This has been a good discussion, we all seem to be in agreement. I wonder if anyone in the Club or EDP reads this Discussion Board and would like to comment - or is that just wishful thinking?

I always had a sneaking feeling that the reason that GoN seemed so good for us was because we were so poor. We needed to evolve and get better- whether or not we have done that is another question.

I''d say Pritchard was probably our best bet for a dangerous corner taker. We don''t have a lot of aerially-dominant players in the side and the delivery would require a lot of pace to be dangerous.

[quote user="johncolt"]This has been a good discussion, we all seem to be in agreement. I wonder if anyone in the Club or EDP reads this Discussion Board and would like to comment - or is that just wishful thinking?[/quote]
I''m not in agreement. It''s true we score a lot of goals from open play but haven''t we scored twice this season from Jacob Murphy corners? 

Every recent thread does seem to criticise or try to get Jacob out of the team. Yet he scores goals and we score goals from his corners. 

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Every recent thread does seem to criticise or try to get Jacob out of the team. Yet he scores goals and we score goals from his corners. [/quote]

That''s true if the Murphy up to 4 or 5 games ago, but since then it''s clear he needs a rest, even AN has pretty much admitted so. We have the options to rest him so I cannot see why he hasn''t been

I don''t think it''s right to criticise him as he''s been one of the stand out performers this year, but at the same time I don''t think it''s wrong to suggest he needs to be rested for a few games