Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Stength in depth.

Squad players have done well - the''ve bided their time, done well in cup games.   Howson is injured  and it now looks as if Wes has played too much recently and gone off

the boil.  Jacob too.  So this is the opportunity for squad players to step up and be counted. I would have preferred if some of them had been given a bit more opporunity before now, but Pritchard and Thompson could now come into their own.  Canos has surely to be considered as alternative to Jacob on the right as he looks off the boil. It''s a blow to see Howson injured, but the positive side of it is that we have good depth in the squad and players ready to step in. AN said it was a huge blow to lose Howson - yes, it''s a blow, but it means someone else will step up. AN should be furious with the way we let in goals, but all he ever says is that he is "disappointed".  Time for him to be tough. He came with a tough reputation - time he started acting and talking a bit more tough. Stuff the players'' reputations. If they don''t do it on the pitch, get them off and show faith in the rest of the squad to be able to do a job.  Be positive and show faith in all the players, not just the favourites.

The worst bit about howson being injured is two more months of tettey.

The guys absolutely useless. Slows our game down, can''t pass, isn''t mobile and his positional sense is crap.

The most overrated player in our squad.

The problem is that we have great strength in depth, but AN clearly has favourites that play regardless

Pritchard was brilliant against Rotherham yet doesn''t get a look in against Fulham and was on the bench again yesterday - it''s clear that Brady is one of ANs ''favourites''

I said at the game yesterday that Murphy needed resting (not dropping if you see what I mean) so the fans don''t get on his back. He has been poor recently when you consider his early season form & we have players that could easily come in for him, yet once again AN is insistent on playing him

Re Hoolahan, he has been magnificent really but yesterday he probably should have been taken off. Once Murphy had been taken off we ended up with a midfield of Tettey, Dorrans, Hoolahan and Pritchard that had no width at all. Pinto missing was a big blow as he is instrumental in providing width on the right going forward

And don''t get me started on hoolahans corner that he literally passed into the side netting...

Tettey is good at what he does n that''s breaking up play etc. But certainly isn''t a technically gifted footballer. We miss Howson mobility drive and energy. Wouldn''t mind seeing Thompson get a run.

[quote user="Move Klose"]Tettey is good at what he does n that''s breaking up play etc. But certainly isn''t a technically gifted footballer. We miss Howson mobility drive and energy. Wouldn''t mind seeing Thompson get a run.[/quote]

Does he actually do that a lot? I rarely see him coming away with the ball.

The fact he''s still in our first team says it all.

I don''t know where that 1.6 tackles a game stat comes from CUSDP but I don''t really look on those stats web sites.

But if that is true then it''s very surprising for a player whose reason for being in the side is to break up play. Of course that role is not just about tackling but if what you say is right I''m amazed.

Stat straight from absolutebollocksstats.com

Tettey was poor and should be dropped, give Thompson a go, but that kind of stat is absolute rubbish how do you even acquire that stat in the first place?

Me too Van wink. His interceptions are better (3) but still not that great.

The best we''ve looked this season was with howson and Dorrans who both proved they can put their foot in and mix it up.

I''d rather blood Thompson than play him.

*stats are from whoscored

Why Is the stat rubbish? I''d say it''s relevant. He is employed to win the ball and break things up. Not really effective is he.

Whoscored is one of the most credible sites around. I''ll pass on your feedback. They''ll be devastated.

We only have strength in depth in midfield.We have no quality strength in depth in defence because if we had strength in depth then Martin & Bennett would not get a look in.I can''t see AN using either Turner of Bassong unless he is forced to by injury or suspension.Likewise strikers, realistically we only have one.Oliveira was worse than useless yesterday and Lafferty probably wouldn''t get a game even if he was the only fit striker available.

Neil needs to;

Bring Ruddy back in. He organises the defence much better.

Stick with Bennett and Klose as first choice centre backs.

Start Pritchard week in, week out.

Involve Canos, and rotate with Jacob Murphy.

Realise Brady is not undropable.

Consider dropping Tettey for Thompson. He''ll develop nicely next to Dorrans.

And finally, stick to the same side!

We have quite a lot of ''meh'' players in the squad.

For instance our centre backs- Klose is clearly the best one (although he''s not been great this season) but behind him I''m not hugely certain there is much difference. We don''t look any more solid with Bennett or Martin next to him and Bassong just isn''t trusted. I''d like Neil to just stick with one pairing (although the change today was forced on him) until January at least.

Similarly with our defensive midfield. Tettey has been poor but I don''t see a fit Mulumbu or Thompson as being any real upgrade.

So Tettey who has been one of our best and most consistent players pretty much since he signed for us is now being scapegoated for still doing exactly what he''s always done which may not be pretty or creative, but which has been the difference at times between parity and a mauling...F**k me, some fans have short memories...

Tettey disrupts. He gets his foot in and must be a pig to play against. I guess that''s why he gets so many yellows. He seemed to play further forward yesterday? Or is that just me?

[quote user="hogesar"]Stick with Bennett at CB?

Now I know Lincoln''s a troll.[/quote]

It wasn''t that Long ago Benno was our best performing center back. He needs a run of games, not a bit part role. He''s better than both Martin and Bassong and will improve the more he plays with Klose. He played the first few games of the season, and up to the Brum game our defensive record was fine.....

Tomorrow is a great opportunity for a few players to step up and force their way into AN''s thinking. Ruddy, Bennett, Bassong, Canos, Oliveira, Pritchard, Thomson, Naismith, Lafferty and Josh should all be aiming to champing at the bit to impress ahead of the trip to Brighton.

But Lincoln, he was part of the defence that conceded 3 at Brum, and 2 at home to Cardiff....this season we''ve looked worse with him in the team and that''s only made worse by the fact he''s so static and unwilling to run with the ball even though space is made for him to do so. Mix that with his distribution and seemingly lack of form at the moment and there''s not a chance he should get in ahead of RM.