Sign in to follow this  
nat_canaries

3 at the back??

Although results in general have been good this season despite a varying level of performances by us, with a distinct lack of clean sheets, could it be time to try a different set up to try and find the right balance for our team. i know this is unlikely and therefore hypothetical but hear me out anyway.

With 3 at the back it would give us an spare man when against 2 strikers and would also give the full back extra protection and with the way the go forward is needed in my opinion.

It may also see us get the best out of Brady again, as at the start of last season at left back he was bombing forward and performed far better than when on the wing for us and with the 3 at the back his defensive discipline wouldn''t be as much as a problem.

I also believe we have the players to suit this system and that it could also help to cover their flaws. With Martin, Bassong and also Olsson, who i feel could play as the left sided CB, all confortable on the ball and would be able to bring the ball out from the back and with Klose, deputized by Bennett, in the centre to provide height and aerial prowess.

An example of how we could line up with a back 3 could be:

-------------McGovern-------------

----Martin----Klose----Olsson----

-Pinto------------------------Brady-

--------Howson--------Tettey--------

--Ja. Murphy--Jerome--Hoolahan--

Murphy and Hoolahan wouldn''t be strictly on the wings with both free to drift around a cut inside and could easily be replaced by Pritchard, Josh, Canos etc or even brady with Olsson pushed out to wing back and placing Bassong in the middle who can be excellent at this level and with 3 at a back a mistake could be less fatal and with the knowledge of this could help him stay calm and not make a mistake in the first place.

Anyhow, that will do for know and while i know its a bit of a pointless post as AN wouldn''t play regularly with a back 3 but I thought I''d share my ideas anyway as that''s what this place is for.

Conte certainly making a 3-4-3 work so it could work if we have the right personnel. I dont think Olsson is defensively strong enough to be one of the 3 at the back - a 3-4-2-1 might work and give better defensive cover than we currently have, if our defenders could adapt.

Ruddy

Martin Klose Bassong

Pinto Howson Dorrans Olsson

Pritchard Wes

Jerome

Clearly the likes of Thompson, Tettey (for Howson / Dorrans), Brady for Olsson or the 2, Josh, Jacob, Naismith Canos (in the 2, with a returning maddison) and Nelson can all stake their claim. Howson and dorrans would be my preference, if the pair of them could learn to retain a deeper position, I suspect their attacking nature may mean Thompson adopts the Kante role.

However the formation is highly dependent on alert mobile centre backs - and currently that is likely to be where the plan falls down.

To play 3 at the back & make it work, we would have to play Pinto & Olsson on the wings, at which point AN would be slaughtered for playing 5 at the back imo

I like this idea a lot. I think we over commit for attacks considering how good our players are individually in this league. That side looks to have more balance and looks the best fit for the defenders we have

I think we''d have to play Pinto and Brady as wing backs. I''d definitely go with ZLF''s back three. But who plays behind Jerome? Jacob and Wes for me.

I can''t believe that nobody is picking nailed on future England centre half Ryan Bennett in their side?

Easily the best defender at the club and you won''t see him getting caught by the long, straight ball like Bassong would. His positioning is also flawless as was his performance against Preston. If we keep wasting this talent a big club will come sniffing round. I can see him slotting in seamlessly at Arsenal or even as Terry''s replacement at Chelsea.

Not a bad idea however injuries now prevent the team you advise.

I don''t think Martin will be effective wing back need to wait for Pinto to recover and we don''t know when that maybe.

Time for Thompson to accompany Tettey for increased mobility. Dorrans to replace Howson in Central midfield. Pritchard on left.

Would be great to see Thompson given a chance and a bit of a run in the side. He is a lovely lad and has served a good apprenticeship at Swindon. It''s no good investing in these guys if we don''t use them.