Sign in to follow this  
philbuzz

Injuries!!!

Why oh why do we have so many Injuries and since when has a cold stopped anyone playing (r.e Craig Flemming)? Injuries have always been a problem for us, are our training methods vastly different from other clubs?

You''re a cold-hearted taskmaster philbuzz. If Craig Fleming has a cold then he should not play. Give him a Beechams Powder Worthy. Give him several. Wrap poor old Craig up in a couple of those tartan blankets Mello Yello has been alluding to. Get him in a hospital bed with the sides all the way up so there''s no chance he can get up. Do anything possible but just make sure he doesn''t make it on to the pitch.

I agree Bolton are currently the most injury free club at the mo, they have put that down to a strategic training programme closed season.

Impact injuries of course cant be controlled of prevented as such but recovery times can through good conditioning

It seems to me ancedotally we get more injuries tahn most clubs and it screws us over, we have a too small a squad to deal with a 45+ games a season, need to rest some players, i.e look a safri over the last week we all know hes injury prone i would have like worthy to hold him back,

The FA medical department continually assess injury prevalence at clubs and be interesting to see how we rate if i can get my hands on this data

anyone else think we are incrediably injury prone year after year?

cheers Jimmy hupton

BSc Sports Science -Lloughborough

MSc Exercise Physiology - Loughborough

"Call me a Taxi!" sorry, (a cynic) if you do so wish.......But it''s strange that when a team is brimming with confidence and they''re performing well, you find that injuries are few and far between- even amongst a small squad. Our recent glorious promotion season was a good indicator of this. Even when key squad members were crocked, they certainly weren''t out of the picture for long! Winter is usually the time of strains and pains, and I wonder if Luton have the strength in depth (like what we have!?) to get them through the heavy pitch and clogging part of the season.

Injuries are part & parcel of football- which can restrict, shorten or end a career. I just hope our treatment table doesn''t require an overspill or annexe, to get us through the long night, short day period that inevitably lies ahead. OTBC ;~)

We weren''t injury prone in our promotion season. There is a hell of a link if you don''t have the resources of Chelsea... just ask any Arsenal fan.

[quote]I agree Bolton are currently the most injury free club at the mo, they have put that down to a strategic training programme closed season. Impact injuries of course cant be controlled of prevented a...[/quote]

Some simple analysis of the empirical data from a Masters degree holder would lead you to the following conclusions re injuries at the moment:

None of those currently injured left the field of play with their injury bar jason Shackell.

Adam Drury''s ''injury is unknown and as training would have been extremely light on the last two days, with two games in 3 days this must be either an injury sustained in the match from a knock of a precautionary rest!

Craig Fleming has a cold.

Peter Thorne knee injury sustained at MK Dons but still played almost all of the match (101 minutes when Doherty wasbrought on upfront).

Dean Marney foot injury from Watford and tried to play through Ipswich.

Leon McKenzie ankle injury while in training.

Yousseff Safri pushed himself through Brighton match (replaced at half time) but still put his body through a WCQualifier for Morocco - hardly the sign of a shrinking violet. He also played the last match at Fulham last year on one leg and spent 2 weeks after the end of the season trying to rehab for the Morocco summer programme - where he then had a hernia or groin problem!

Simon Charlton - horror tackle from Jody Morris - fortunate not to have broken leg!

Andy Hughes - unknown injury put considering his workrate and the amount of tackles he puts in it would be fair to assume that it too is a contact related injury.

As for Calum Davenport''s hamstring, if you saw him stretch to make sure that ''Ashton''s'' Goal went in it was another player putting his body on the line or another precautionary tale. Perhaps mind games with opponents - we''ve seen plenty of ''injury scares'' only for the players to run out the following day.

As for other injuries this season, yes the intensity of the training at the club is high; the players say so as does the manager. Conditioning is a function of Frequency, Intensity and duration (or Time - FIT). Too little is all to prevalent in unfit teams, too much will show itself through masses of training muscle strains while the optimal amount will allow players to perform well, especially late in matches. Norwich have only conceeded 2 goals in the last 20 minutes of the first half and NONE in the last 20 minutes of the second half this season.

In summary - Contact Injuries can be avoided by not tackling, blocking, jumping, heading etc. Fans will then complain that the team dont get stuck in. How many players have we seen in recent years pull up with a muscle pull?

Apart from the very tough premier league season, Norwich have outgunned their league opponents in the second half since 99-2000. check out the stats here.

http://www.soccer-stats.com/teams/team_stats.asp?divno=2&code=n&asid=99 and then look at the other season.

P.S. I f you like Boltons ''physical'' style of play (5 man defense v Canaries for last 15 minutes at the Reebok last year) as opposed to those teams who try to contruct goals (2 goals this season have been in moves with greater than 14 passes) then good luck to you. Its easier to stay injury free when you invite no tackles because the ball in in the air. Players also dont have too change direction as often due to linear running patterns in support of direct play!

[quote]I agree Bolton are currently the most injury free club at the mo, they have put that down to a strategic training programme closed season. Impact injuries of course cant be controlled of prevented a...[/quote]

Jim

Is your application for new training guru in the post? ''Cos it should be, could you give us all the benefit of your knowledge and experience and explain how many injuries are probably the result of coming back into the first team too soon and how to prevent training ground hamstring strains as these seem to haunt our squad of late, many thanks.

Andy Hughes has a thigh injury sustained in training

[quote]Jim Is your application for new training guru in the post? ''Cos it should be, could you give us all the benefit of your knowledge and experience and explain how many injuries are probably the result ...[/quote]

Has Jim explained how many injuries have been sustained by players returning to the 1st team too early? Plus given the fact that in an ideal world players would be reconditioned for a long period prior to treturning to the fold, any aplyer would be out for a prolonged period. Vis a vis, the academy teams would need to make up the numbers!

Can Jim also explain the ''training ground hamstring strains'' that haunt the team of late. Jarretts, Louis-Jeans, Davenport and Hughes'' were all sustained in matches.

Also, apart from two degress, what ''experience'' does Jim have of conditioning elite athletes to perform in up to 50 matches a season? Its easy for armchair fitness gurus to criticise the training methods of others when their is no pressure on them to actually deliver results. Abit like all those people who play champ manager and then think they can run a team/club and deal with agents, players, staff, boards of directors and media.

I look forward to a balanced reply!