Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Penalties

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]As far as I am aware, nobody has said "don''t discuss it".

It is the hypocrisy of someone who bleats on about positivity and how we should all pull together, and then starts a thread about a missed penalty in the context of an away win, that I object to.

Players miss penalties. I guess the team and manager know who our best penalty takers are and that Wes doesn''t take them as the result of a lottery draw. Should he be replaced because he missed one? Not for me.[/quote]

Should he be replaced for missing 6 out of 18?

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Katie Borkins"]As far as I am aware, nobody has said "don''t discuss it".

It is the hypocrisy of someone who bleats on about positivity and how we should all pull together, and then starts a thread about a missed penalty in the context of an away win, that I object to.

Players miss penalties. I guess the team and manager know who our best penalty takers are and that Wes doesn''t take them as the result of a lottery draw. Should he be replaced because he missed one? Not for me.[/quote]

Should he be replaced for missing 6 out of 18?[/quote]

Ps I absolutely love Wes and would never criticise him for stepping up to the mark to take a pen. It''s just a question really of whether the management should be stepping in and suggesting that Brady or someone else takes the next one.

Not the best stats in the world, but 2/3 have gone in so he''s more likely than not. It''s finding the right replacement though. Can you remember when Grabban started taking them; he was useless!

I trust the manager to pick the right penalty taker.

I don''t know if we need to change because I don''t know if we have anyone better.

Neither do you.

Neither does anyone else posting here.

Hope that helps 👌

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]As far as I am aware, nobody has said "don''t discuss it".

Players miss penalties. I guess the team and manager know who our best penalty takers are and that Wes doesn''t take them as the result of a lottery draw. Should he be replaced because he missed one? Not for me.[/quote]Your "bleating" is far more corosive than anything I write.  I don''t object to your humour, or your cynicism, or a lot of what you write, but I find when you choose to be unpleasant about something I write, referring to other things I have written in the past, then you have lost it as far as I am concerned.  People keep saying it - play the post not the poster. This was a legitimate subject in the contsext of the game.  Not positive enough for you?  How about looking at it from a different angle.  If Wes or the manager decides he is not he man to take penalties and someone else is chosen, say Brady - and he scores the next four penalties - then that is a positive thing.   6 penalties out of 18 missed is not a good record, whether you like it or not. Time someone else stepped up to the plate. Imo. 

Don''t take this this the wrong way Lakey, but maybe it would be a better idea to not acknowledge and to simply just ignore the posters you don''t get along with. Sometimes it seems you enjoy taking the moral ground and putting others in their place. I''ve made it a goal in recent weeks to avoid getting into petty arguments, and I''m certainly not doing so here, maybe you should try the same?

Personally I don''t think Alex Neil has a penalty taker. Everyone thought Wes was the taker when Lambert was here but Lambert said that he didn''t have one, he just wanted someone to choose to do it and get the job over and done with. Then Holt said that when he arrived he made a deal with Wes over penalties, that he would let Wes still take them until Wes had missed 2

If anyone thinks that our squad needs some training on spot-kicks, I think Neil Adams would be the ideal man to coach them. Anyone who remembers his playing career with us should know that he was known as the "penalty king" as he was the penalty taker and was brilliant with them. It also says on the ex-canaries website that in the 96/97 season he scored 9 spot-kicks, and on Wikipedia that in the whole of his career only missed from the spot once.

In fairness to Wes, his penalty yesterday wasn''t badly hit, he just signposted where he was going with it and the keeper made a good save. His record is not good enough for there to be no questions asked from the spot though. 
Personally, I''d give the duty to Brady or Jerome and see how they get on.

[quote user="HazzaJet"]Personally I don''t think Alex Neil has a penalty taker. Everyone thought Wes was the taker when Lambert was here but Lambert said that he didn''t have one, he just wanted someone to choose to do it and get the job over and done with. Then Holt said that when he arrived he made a deal with Wes over penalties, that he would let Wes still take them until Wes had missed 2

If anyone thinks that our squad needs some training on spot-kicks, I think Neil Adams would be the ideal man to coach them. Anyone who remembers his playing career with us should know that he was known as the "penalty king" as he was the penalty taker and was brilliant with them. It also says on the ex-canaries website that in the 96/97 season he scored 9 spot-kicks, and on Wikipedia that in the whole of his career only missed from the spot once.[/quote]
Ah that brings back the memories.
I was a mascot (back in the day where we only had one mascot and you didn''t have to pay for the privelege!) away at Birmingham. Around 1996 I think as I was 9 according to the programme. We won 3-2 and the winner was a Neil Adams penalty smashed high into the roof of the net. That''s the only goal I actually remember from that day. Was a great pen, no messing, just laces through it and absolutely tw@tted the ball straight down the middle.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Don''t take this this the wrong way Lakey, but maybe it would be a better idea to not acknowledge and to simply just ignore the posters you don''t get along with. Sometimes it seems you enjoy taking the moral ground and putting others in their place. I''ve made it a goal in recent weeks to avoid getting into petty arguments, and I''m certainly not doing so here, maybe you should try the same?[/quote]Which is what winds people up. Thats some free advice for you.

I take the point Hans Hoola Solo and it''s a good one.  I''ve been doing the same since I came back to the board, but it seems some of them can''t move on from dragging up past issues.   I''ve moved on, but can they?   That would be my challenge to them.

It''s probably never discussed tbf. On matchday Wes automatically puts the ball on the spot and I think he will next time as well, but if he misses then it will be time to discuss it.

To be honest, I''m not sure how Hoolahan got back onto the roster ? He was always the penalty taker under Lambert. The 2010/11 promotion season saw him miss a crucial penalty at QPR and then tried to be clever & dink one in against Preston. After that miss everyone will recall Holt told him that he''d missed 2 in a row and that Holt would take them from then on. Holt remained our penalty taker until he left the club. Hoolahan was left out of the side for most of the ill fated 2013/14 season. Hooper was usually our taker that season and there was the one that Snodgrass ripped out of RVW hands and then missed. The 2014/15 season saw Grabban take a few, Hoolahan took a few when Grabban wasn''t on the pitch. Dorrans mysteriously took one and missed (with Hoolahan on the pitch) against Leeds. It has gone back to Hoolahan since, though we haven''t received many.

The best penalty is one that goes into one of the 4 corners of the goal with such pace, even the best keeper guessing correctly can''t save. Have we got someone that can do that ? I don''t think we have.

Options - Brady scored for Ireland, has a crisp shot on him, but so has Dorrans - so they will hit it harder but not the prefect into the corner penalty takers. Howson - the guy won''t volunteer for anything ! Don''t get me wrong - brilliant team man & player - but never takes set pieces as well - I guess he''s just one that most people envisage will be good at penalties cos he''s a good player and scores a lot of goals.

Pritchard & Naismith - may be good at it if they can get into the side as a player first - a bit like Hooper.

Either of the Murphy''s could do a good job, but at 21 will question if they can hold their nerves.

I think Hoolahan is taking penalties for a reason - perhaps in training they''ve establish he''s the best at it. Until he misses two in a row, we shouldn''t need to worry who should step up next.

That''s a good post six pack, a lot of common sense in there and I agree.

I guess the point is, for me anyway, that I lost confidence in Wes as a penalty taker a long time ago, so if he steps up to take one now and misses,nit confirms my prejudice.

I''m sure though that this has all be sorted out in training and he must have proved himself to be the best man for the job.

A reasonable OP and one worthy of sensible debate btw.

I think this is where, with Jerome as our main CF, we don''t have a huge amount of options beyond Wes.

Jerome isn''t your typical natural finisher, so I wouldn''t have him taking pens. Oliveira when he''s on the pitch? Technically supposed to be good, and as a striker you''d expect he''d be up for it.

Not sure what people see in Brady taking pens - this season his set pieces have been predominantly terrible, so don''t see how or why he should earn the right to take pens.

Howson is calm and collected and is quite a natural finisher - he wouldn''t be a bad shout. But as someone alluded to previously - would he put himself up for it?

Six Pack has some very fair points, though I think Howson would be good at taking penalties not because he wouldn''t put himself forward for them but because of the very nature of the beast. Good composure and a cool head are the main requirement for successfully taking penalties I feel given all players have mastered the art of striking a football, and for me Howson has that in absolute spades. Am happy for Wessi to be our penalty taker though - it''s not like we get them week in week out anyway!

Snodgrass and Deeney showed how to take penalties at the weekend, Must admit Wes is a bit powder puff with his shooting in normal play.

Going back to the Youth Cup Jacob took a good penalty then again it could have been Josh

Wes is very much a placement over power guy. If I''m honest I''d rather he was kept away from all of our set pieces as I find his love of short corner/free kick with no actual plan to be incredibly frustrating.

I certainly don''t think Wes generates the power that he used to.

Thing is, who else since Holty has been our regular penalty taker?

I guess Brady could take them

Some of the responses to LDC''s post do seem rather bemusing and based on a desire to undermine anything he/she/it writes. It''s a fair question in my mind.

I have never felt confident in Wes taking penalties since the well named and infamous Preston dink. I liked Holt''s approach of just picking a side and blasting it. As many have suggested it is probably only Brady who out of the near-automatic first team that is anywhere near a credible alternative. Naismith would be my next choice if/when he plays.

Nor do I believe that there is any luck involved. Many commentators say that penalties are a lottery, but we have seen with the guys who are good (such as Adams) that that really isn''t the case. A well taken penalty should be incapable of being saved.

Just out of interest though, I have seen Lionel Messi, probably the world''s best ever goalscorer, miss a few. Anyone know what his percentage conversion rate is?

"As many have suggested it is probably only Brady who out of the near-automatic first team that is anywhere near a credible alternative."

Well done everyone. You bunch of twunts.