Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Penalties

I''ve said this before, but Wes imo, is not a great penalty taker.  The only one he has taken with any conviction, imo, is the one against Ipswich in the play off semi-final.  That was gutsy. But he remains for me an unconvincing penalty taker, generally.  Yes, I enjoyed the win today, hoorah, hoorah, but as a point of discussion about penalties, is he our best option there? 

With Wes, his body language is awful. He isn''t on his toes enough and doesn''t exude positivity. We should give penalties to Naismith to boost his goal tally and give some fans the chance of saying "told you so".

Good idea, we should have a designated penalty taker in the squad that looks very similar to Matt le Tissier ...96.2% success rate. Get on it please recruitment.

To be fair, I put it down to the coaching. Wes hadn''t missed in years until Irvine came in - so you have to wonder if the club have any idea what they''re doing. Bringing in someone who can''t even teach a penalty?! Delia Out!

Snoddy would have bullied Wes out of it, still would have been saved and Wes would have been scarred for life. Career in tatters.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Snoddy would have bullied Wes out of it, still would have been saved and Wes would have been scarred for life. Career in tatters.[/quote]And Snoddy had the nerve to score another penalty today.... [:(]

Wes is quite good a getting penalties (see Watford away (2015) so I suppose he should be allowed to take themif only to encourage him to get moreWatford1m 10 secs

I think its a fair point to discuss, what if this had been 0-0 against Newcastle towards the end of the season?

I have always been a Wes fan but his penalties always worry me.

Not sure who to replace him with though, I think the most natural strikers of a ball are the Murphy''s but it''s probably to early for them to have this added pressure. - why not Jerome his our striker.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]I think its a fair point to discuss, what if this had been 0-0 against Newcastle towards the end of the season?

I have always been a Wes fan but his penalties always worry me.

Not sure who to replace him with though, I think the most natural strikers of a ball are the Murphy''s but it''s probably to early for them to have this added pressure. - why not Jerome his our striker.[/quote]

I thought it was a fair thing to discuss after today, but then the forum numpties have to have their fun, bless them.  Thankfully we had Holt taking penalties for four years with great conviction (apart from one, I think).  Whenever Wes has stepped up, he rarely puts his foot through the ball, giving the goalkeeper a chance.  The one today looked to be off the ground, making it easier for the goalkeeper. Last season''s against Arsenal was flaky.....yes, I know it went in.....   

The "forum numpties"

Now, shall we have a "numpty" conversation?

Ricky will come good

Snoddy was rubbish

Rudd is our De Gea

Tennis players versus footballers

Naismith will come good

Wilbraham is a hero, more so than Snodgrass

Let''s talk about forum numpties. I would welcome that chat.

[quote user="Red Rufus"]Bring back RVW, HE NEVER MISSED[/quote]He''s actually just scored a penalty. The world is on it''s head[:O]

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]The "forum numpties"

Ricky will come good

Snoddy was rubbish

Rudd is our De Gea

Naismith will come good

Let''s talk about forum numpties. I would welcome that chat.[/quote]

Katie Borkins #twisted

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]The "forum numpties"

Ricky will come good

Snoddy was rubbish

Rudd is our De Gea

Naismith will come good

Let''s talk about forum numpties. I would welcome that chat.[/quote][:D]

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Can''t we just enjoy the win? That''s the first penalty Wes has missed (actually it was saved), for about five years.[/quote]

Eh? 5 years?? The one against Everton was missed/saved/not scored / a bit sh1t.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ItMZ1MElu50

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]You ask for it LDC, why post with a negative angle after our third win on the trot?. Now we have a "clean sheets" thread. Just frickin well enjoy it when we win.......[/quote]

I''m ecstatic we won today, but I was far from ecstatic in the first half after the penalty was missed with someone I regard as not a great penalty taker.  All''s well that ends well, but you learn from everything that happens in a match, good or bad - and that was a bad moment.