Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Managers making the difference

The more I watch of this frustrating (so far) season then more I keep questioning what it is that a good manager brings to a squad or a team. My own personal view is that probably most of us could put out a team with this squad and have us in and around the top 6 because we have good players.

its clear than Neil is not completely useless like some of our previous unsuccessful managers but I do find myself questioning how many points he actually earns us. To me it felt like Lambert was worth 10 or so points a season to us just due to his game management and knack for making the right changes during games. Other managers like Mick Macarthy bring a solidity and an effectiveness at set pieces that makes their team more than the sum of its parts. I feel that we have a great squad of players but at present they are less than the sum of their parts and I''m struggling to think of a single occasion where a managerial decision has earnt us points that we would otherwise not have got.

An experienced, savvy manager would have this lot promoted by March alongside Newcastle.

Or maybe he''s nothing without Holt and Hoolahan? I give those two just as much credit for our rise back to the PL as Lambert.

Those were the two he tried to bring into Villa as well. Sadly for him at least he got Holty was too late...shame ;)

Lets look at some attributes of successful managers

Gets 110% out of the players, builds from the back, inspired substitutions, inspired signings. In season 1 Neil did get 110 out of the squad but was poor on the other elements on the above list. Now he gets a tune out of some players but by no means all. His signings are at best ordinary as are his substitutions. He has gone backwards and has the look of a one trick pony who has been found out

[quote user="Jim Smith"]The more I watch of this frustrating (so far) season then more I keep questioning what it is that a good manager brings to a squad or a team. My own personal view is that probably most of us could put out a team with this squad and have us in and around the top 6 because we have good players.

its clear than Neil is not completely useless like some of our previous unsuccessful managers but I do find myself questioning how many points he actually earns us. To me it felt like Lambert was worth 10 or so points a season to us just due to his game management and knack for making the right changes during games. Other managers like Mick Macarthy bring a solidity and an effectiveness at set pieces that makes their team more than the sum of its parts. I feel that we have a great squad of players but at present they are less than the sum of their parts and I''m struggling to think of a single occasion where a managerial decision has earnt us points that we would otherwise not have got.

An experienced, savvy manager would have this lot promoted by March alongside Newcastle.[/quote]
Jimbo. After the transfer window shut didn''t you say this squad wasn''t good enough?

Jim Smith wrote:

''''My own personal view is that probably most of us could put out a team with this squad and have us in and around the top 6 because we have good players.''''

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now now Jim, if that were true then how on earth did Villa perform so poorly with a manager who has won the Champions League??

The only way to judge a manager is to compare the talent he has available with the points on the board.

Personally I think we are slightly under achieving with AN, this season and last.