Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

who is accountable for the shocking defence

There is much to be positive about this season but it is in danger of coming to nothing due to the abject defence. Two clean sheets all season to date is relegation not promotion standard. We are lucky if we concede just once and it places to much pressure on the rest of the team. I am at a loss to know why they are so bad as individuals they should be better. The inability of management to get to grips with the problem is increasingly a concern

It''s not just the defence though, we gave the ball away in midfield and lost three challenges for their 2nd goal before it went out wide. How they had an unmarked man in the box with a player less though is beyond me.

Liverpool don''t keep capitulating like we do though...

Newcastle 2 goals conceded in 90 seconds. Fulham, 2 goals conceded in 10 mins against a team with a dire home record, tonight, lead thrown away against an average team with a player less. Total capitulation at Birmingham and a no show at home to Preston.

This is mostly again teams, Newcastle aside, with a first 11 who would barely make our subs bench!

If we take everything said from the club at face value then Alex Neil. I''m not sure why we spent a lot of money on Canos who isn''t ready to play for us yet and another striker with unreliable finishing but I suspect we completely ran out of options on that one.

I can understand what neil was thinking, trusting the likes of Martin, Whittaker, Bassong, Bennett, Turner etc because they should be good enough for this league. I the older players all started their decline after Wembley and aren''t the same players at 2 years ago. I don''t think Bennet has improved 1% since we signed him but should be doing better than he is.

Neil''s taken a bit of a gamble but it''s looking like one season too far for a lot of our defenders. Need a big re shuffle in that area no matter what division we''re in next year.

If we''re in the Pl I''d hope we only retain Klose, Pinto and Olsson, maybe Martin as cover

Even the best defenders in the world, if you subject them to enough attacks, will let in goals.

Now I''m fully aware that our defenders aren''t having the best time as it is, but I''m now starting to feel that the problems lie slightly further forward.

In our current formation we play with 2 high, attacking wing backs and 2 attacking wingers, taking a great deal of our man-power out wide; on top of this we then have the Hoolahan role (who will drift wide and into the box) and a lone striker. All of this leaves an awful lot of space for the central pair to contend with, and Tettey + Dorrans for all their qualities aren''t suited to this. As such I believe they are stuck in no mans land trying to play box-to-box- not in the box for attacks and behind the play in defence.

Fundamentally, I believe our style is correct but the formation is just slightly off what we need, and it''s starting to hurt us. With Howson and his pace/energy we got by, but currently there seems to be a lack of athleticism the further back you go, and teams are out-running us.

I am a Banana (All Grown Up) wrote the following post at 2016-10-26 2:49 AM:

Liverpool have only kept 1 clean sheet all season, they aren''t doing too bad in the Premier League.

Might have something to do with the fact they actually win games in the premiership, and are not a championship side who ''leak'' goals, eighteen of them so far this season, and how many last season. In fact we gave Liverpool 5!!

Bassong, Bennett, Godfrey and Brady going forward were very good last night you should not blame the defence when others give the ball away 20 yds into the Leeds half Canos and Dorrans for the 2nd goal.