Sign in to follow this  
The young canary

Alex Neil totally lacks bottle

Still doesn''t change how we defend our defence is woeful

No manager could change the cart horses we have as defenders. Bassong, turner and Brady who isn''t a left back plays attacking midfield for his country.

Completely agree. I just feel embarrassed tonight. They had 10 men for ages due to them using all their subs. Can''t hold out again. Neil is out of his depth. Lessons aren''t being learned. Coaching isn''t effective.

[8]Life goes on day after day[8]Happily trolling awaySo ferry ''cross the Waveney''cause Lowestoft''s the place I loveand here I''ll stayPeople they rush everywhereAll talking out of their rearSo ferry ''cross the Waveneyand always take me thereThe place I lovePeople around every cornerThey seem to smile and sayWe don''t care what your name is boyYou change it every daySo I''ll continue to sayA tw@t I always will staySo ferry ''cross the Waveney''cause Lowestoft''s the place I loveand here I''ll stayand here I''ll stayHere I''ll stay

In that situation I can''t help but feel it''s the players that lack the bottle.

Whether we need a defensive coach in the management team to actually sort us out a bit I dont know but at this level with Klose, Martin, Bassong, Brady, Olson, Pinto and Bennett we shouldn''t look like conceding every time a team attacks us.

Explain his ''no bottle'' tonight on the pitch please?

Did Alex Neil pull out of a challenge on the pitch?

Did he not put in a shift in defence on the pitch?

Have some sort of story before you start going off on one that you clearly have no idea what you''re talking about

[quote user="coops"]Completely agree. I just feel embarrassed tonight. They had 10 men for ages due to them using all their subs. Can''t hold out again. Neil is out of his depth. Lessons aren''t being learned. Coaching isn''t effective.[/quote]

Out of his depth!! check the record books. -

We are having a bad patch and this is when supporter should support it''s so easy to whinge. - things are not rosy, far from it, but one man isn''t to blame.

The job is clearly to big for the guy.....

this is the best/most expensive City squad ever assembled and week in week out its under achieving

He had my support at the end of last season when apologizing and promising to learn.....however 1/3rd of the way into the new season and its deja vu

same mistakes repeated game after game.....tonights was more embarrassing given we lead against 10 men with 10 mins to go !

When you have a £25million strike force on the pitch and have to change your defence around because a bang average championship side are running you ragged you know you are out of your depth !!

I totally disagree, one man makes all the difference. The manager.

Do you actually believe that Alex will get us promoted this season as I don''t.

With lambert I knew we would stay in the prem. I have no faith week on Wel out under this clueless no mark we will get the results we need.

Not getting this squad promoted will be criminal. It should unfortunately be even more so if we had a manager that had strengthened at centre back and centre forward. Alex Neil did nothing.

[quote user="E I E I E I O"]I totally disagree, one man makes all the difference. The manager.

Do you actually believe that Alex will get us promoted this season as I don''t.

With lambert I knew we would stay in the prem. I have no faith week on Wel out under this clueless no mark we will get the results we need.

Spot on

Not getting this squad promoted will be criminal. It should unfortunately be even more so if we had a manager that had strengthened at centre back and centre forward. Alex Neil did nothing.[/quote]

I have to agree and as much as loyalty is an honorable trait which I can respect we cannot keep following like lemmings chucking ourselves off a cliff, if promotion isnt achieved this season with the massive advantage we hold of PL money and squad then I fear it could mark the start of a long stint at this level for those coming down next year will have an even bigger advantage/pot of gold to play with than Us,Newcastle and Villa.

Clean sheets cost us last season and yet again this we are conceding far to many cheap goals.....

The club is far bigger than any manager ever will be and for the good of the club the guy has to go....I am sure at some point in the future Alex will prove himself to be as good as many on management UNFORTUNATELY we dont have the luxury of time to let him learn his trade at City.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]Broke the golden rule by getting caught on the break when 1-2 up    [/quote]

Nail on the head Swindon. That simply shouldn''t happen. Even more so against 10 men. It is such naive game play it''s almost unbelievable. We''ve done it before, last season and this so I''m afraid it looks to be beyond the management team to be able to sort it out.

Lets just see how much bottle we have on Saturday because if we win we will be looking good for automatic promotion. 
Yes Neil needs to fix the lack of belief in his squad. But what is clear? He knows how to send them out with desire to score goals first.
I am gutted by tonight''s fold but we will bounce back. 
Neil has to spend more attention on belief. And he has to show more belief in his players because when asked to defend leads they are all over the place. Kill the game off or die trying. There is no point in digging deep when we always concede.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

We are having a bad patch [/quote]Since Wembley we have had several of them and the manager has not learnt anything whatsoever.

[quote user="Baywing"]I have to agree and as much as loyalty is an honorable trait which I can respect we cannot keep following like lemmings chucking ourselves off a cliff, if promotion isnt achieved this season with the massive advantage we hold of PL money and squad then I fear it could mark the start of a long stint at this level for those coming down next year will have an even bigger advantage/pot of gold to play with than Us,Newcastle and Villa.

Clean sheets cost us last season and yet again this we are conceding far to many cheap goals.....

The club is far bigger than any manager ever will be and for the good of the club the guy has to go....I am sure at some point in the future Alex will prove himself to be as good as many on management UNFORTUNATELY we dont have the luxury of time to let him learn his trade at City.[/quote]

Whats to say that in 2 or 3 years we can''t have a young side with both Murphys, Thompson, Godfrey, Maddison, Rudd in a team managed by Alex Neil that walk this league, and costs very little, then suddenly the lure of Premier League money is totally irrelivant as these players won''t have cost us a fortune and won''t be on mega wages.

Premier League money isn''t the most important thing in football!

Simple answer.....

if we dont get promoted we wont have them at our club

Murphys, Rudd and especially Maddison already attracting the attention of a lot of PL teams (we were in all honesty lucky to snatch Madison away from the likes of Spurs and Liverpool when we did)

Whoever finished bottom of the PL next season nets £100m, Villa got just 66m last season....straight away thats 34m worth of advantage

Not only did we manage to keep a PL squad together (exception Redmond) we even spent something like 20 mill bringing in 4 or 5 new additions

Do you seriously believe any side not investing millions in this league are going to make a serious challenge at promotion ?

the bubble does appear to be bursting. we have gotten away with playing sloppy and winning for too long and now we are starting to be shown up.

for me we lack enough physicality in the side. lots of nice, tidy little players that aren''t far away from being effective premiership standard play makers but not enough ball winners and people to do the dirty work.

Of all the disappointment of tonight, Thompson was a silver lining. I hope we give him a go in the league or we are going to be counter attacked and set played out of promotion contention. I honestly think Bennett and Klose could do a job as long as we gave them more protection in the middle. I think we Tettey is on the decline now.

Maddison needs to come back to keep the likes of Wes and brady on their toes as well. our set piece delivery has been truly awful.

If AN has bottle he will go out in January and get the best two defenders, centre back and defensive full back that he can get with the money he is given.

The present bunch work on paper but there is a consistent weakness in practice.

Bottle means the ability to bring about a complete upheaval and make significant changes.

That''s what we need. New faces in defence.

I don''t think the problem is as obvious as it being the defence. The way we set up with attacking full backs and 2 forward thinking centre mids leaves us completely open and clueless when the opposition counter attack. That and our lack of strength at dealing with set pieces are the main reasons we concede. We do the other stuff just fine. Highly frustrating really.

I just can''t keep up with it all. It was "attack attack attack" under Lambert, and we weren''t great defensively, but that was okay.

Then it was "defend defend defend" under that nice man Houghton, but that wasn''t okay.

Now we score a lot of goals, but can''t defend, like under Lambert, but now it''s not okay. And it''s not just about winning either, because a few weeks ago we were top of the league, and folks were still moaning.

I think people have got a bit mixed up as to where we deserve to be, and perhaps got a bit carried away while playing FIFA on their egg boxes.

Oh and regarding Alex''s position, I predict that, one day, he will be sacked. And so will whoever takes over.

I''m not sure bringing Lambert back would work and I don''t think it will ever happen. But let''s be honest, while he was here he was a class above Neil as a manager in every way. The two biggest differences for me are players never seemed to get complacent under Lambert. Probably because they knew if they underperformed they''d get dropped. Whereas under Neil certain underperforming players get chance after chance after chance until the penny finally drops. The other big difference is their reading of games. Lambert would often react to situations where we were struggling with substitutions and tactical changes which ended up getting us a result. I genuinely can''t remember the last time Neil managed this. When we start to struggle the guy is completely bereft of ideas and it is costing us badly. I certainly can''t remember us ever crumbling so pathetically under Lambert as we have done in recent matches against Newcastle. Fulham and 10 man Leeds.