Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

When did Norwich fans become so arrogant?

4 seasons of last 6 in PL has raised expectations when it looks like we are not going to be PL team or challenging to be PL fans rightly complain.

Match of the day, Gary Linekar puns, sky sports adverts, FIFA 17, Jesse lingards instagram account

It all goes to people''s heads, seen it so many times, soooo many times.

I agree with Donkey, we''re just customers and in the multi million pound business that football has become we should probably expect to be treated as such, as you said.

Going back to my original post.. perhaps the money involved in football is the reason behind fans self entitlement or arrogance regarding winning?

I''m not really sure myself but it''s certainly a mentality that has spread across football as a whole. The atmosphere at most grounds around the country is shocking 99% of the time.

''You only sing when you''re winning'' has never been more true.

We''re not all just customers Stan. You and Donkey maybe just customers but I am not. I am most definitely a supporter and most definitely am treated as one.

I don''t feel like a "customer" as such but I don''t need to be constantly moddycoddled and told I''m special all the time. I believe the club appreciates us and has great links with the community so not sure what else it needs to do?

Exactly, not sure what the club needs to do in some People''s eyes in this area. Seems to be all football clubs that have this problem.

I think some people think it was better in the old days when the club supplied us with third world facilities and did literally nothing in the community, you felt like a real supporter then.

When someone is paid £10k, £20k or £30k a week it''s I suppose it''s not unreasonable to expect them to be capable of doing their job.

Interesting post somewhere in the middle of this thread about booing after the Preston game under Lambert. I don''t remember that at all and was actually going to post that no matter what the result in that season the fans got behind the team. I remember losing to Hull and Portsmouth that season and the players getting a fantastic reception as they walked off.

No matter how much difference it makes, the fans play a part in it all.

Also the booing after the Sheff Wed game was disgraceful.

When did Norwich fans become so arrogant?

Not just Norwich fans. I currently coach an u15 team and if i ask them who they support, the answers will be man u . barca. real. man city. chelsea. etc. etc.

Everyone else, according to them are ''shoite''. unfortunately this is a symptom of modern entitlement. eg i am so great i must support a team that wins a lot,so then i feel greater.

Shallow fookwits are in for a shock, soon i hope.

Teams win and lose , big deal, love the team you support and support the team you love, win or lose.

Slainte.

After the disastrous Roeder/Gunn season I opted to let the club keep my season ticket rebate. Fast forward to 2016 and I couldn''t opt out of the "academy donation" quick enough... I would guess I''m not only one.

Something changed for me anyway.

Those of us who stood in the Carrow Road stands in the fifties and sixties will tell you there was certainly no similar sense of entitlement in those days. Booing was reserved for the opposition, and while there was plenty of moaning it was almost always good humoured. You looked for effort from the players and a comfortable position in the table. The idea of watching First Division football at Carrow Road was only ever a dream and being an established second tier team was great when we thought back to earlier days. I think the sense of entitlement derives from the bulk of the current support having grown up with First Division football their norm. As for arrogance, I''d say it dates from the mid-nineties when fans first decided they knew better than the most successful chairman in the club''s history. 
(Posted from below the parapet) [:D]

It certainly isn''t just a Norwich phenomenon though. I don''t think we''re arrogant as a fan base (take a look at Villa, Wolves or Newcastle for arrogance) but we''re not that loud. There has been a lot of talk about how the demographics of people who go to games has changed with rising prices. The traditional working class fans who might naturally be a bit noisier get priced out and replaced by richer, more middle class types who don''t want to chant and sing and take the piss out of the opposition.

At the start of each home game we have somebody on a mic doing a patronising bit re OTBC and in response the fans making a droning noise, that gets worse as the song progresses.

Do we need someone (with character) with a powerful voice (think Meatloaf type not an opera singer singing in a high key) to "fire us up" for five to ten minutes before the game?

I think the atmosphere at Carrow Rd., is awful, I could have easily fallen asleep during the first half on Saturday.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I don''t ever feel mollycoddled and have never been told I''m special. I''m a supporter and as such am part of the club.[/quote]Never been told you''re special ? Perhaps when I am they mean something else....[;)]I think this '' customer '' thing dates back to Dave McNally. I wonder if Jezza thinks the same ? Alas on his currnt rate of communication I doubt I''ll live long enough to find out....

Fair enough Nutty, but it''s as old as other whining........fans at the ground pay money and have the right to do what they want regardless of what others think! As ever I never boo but if others do or moan that''s their prerogative.

As for you or anyone thinking you''re not a customer than sorry but you pay for an entertainment service, you pay for goods provided and you have a choice, you are a customer......if you go to a Sunday league game every week stand watching a pub or your kids side play a game your a supporter.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Smiffy, if your glass was so full thanks to Doomcaster how come you didnt have a good word to say for him? 😯[/quote]Glass full under NAD ? If ever there was a smooth talking-head corporate he was it...Robocop McNally must take the credit for turning NCFC round but in doing so he knew how to squeeze every last farthing out of the punters. He may well have paid lip service by calling us supporters at public meetings, in the media, etc, but in the end it was all about the business and it''s customers balancing the books.Now that football has become a money making machine I''m guessing it''s the same mindset for the invisible man now sitting in his chair.

[quote user="Indy"]Fair enough Nutty, but it''s as old as other whining........fans at the ground pay money and have the right to do what they want regardless of what others think! As ever I never boo but if others do or moan that''s their prerogative.

As for you or anyone thinking you''re not a customer than sorry but you pay for an entertainment service, you pay for goods provided and you have a choice, you are a customer......if you go to a Sunday league game every week stand watching a pub or your kids side play a game your a supporter.[/quote]
You speak for yourself Indy. Me, I''m not a customer I''m a supporter. There are a lot of customers though. They are different from me, not better or worse, but they behave like customers. I behave like a supporter. They complain like customers. I take the rough with the smooth like a supporter.
The fact that you cannot see the difference between a customer and a supporter is due to the fact you''re different to me. Not better, or worse, just different. 
If you go to the laundrettamart you could claim to be a supporter of Mr Papidopulus but in reality you''re a customer. You can be a customer of the theatre. You can even claim to support that theatre and become a friend but you''re nothing more than a customer using their facilities to watch the entertainment you buy tickets for. Football is different for me. My football club is more than just places wheres I buy tickets to see my football team play. My football club is in my blood. Maybe even in my dna as the support goes back two generations and forward two generations. 
If you''re watching your kids play football you''re a parent. But it''s a good anology because you''re certainly not a supporter of that team. You''re just a supporter of the team your kid plays for. You''re supporting your kid like all good parents do. But their club isn''t in your blood and will be forgotten about as they move on to the next one.
You customers are going to have to get your heads around the fact that I''m not one of you.
Those of you who do claim to be customers really intrigue me though. Why do you continually give Norweich City your custom and a fair dollop of your spendable dosh even though it makes you miserable?

It doesn''t make me miserable, I can have a good day out, meet friends then watch the game I''ve paid to see, if I''m not happy with the performance I chat with others and critique the game, they players the wrong I feel I saw.

But I can stop anytime I like, unlike supporting my old mum & dad, they need my support, but I don''t have to pay them for that service.

Yep we are different, yellow and green tinted specs mine are just standard boots buy.

Nutty all this customer v supporter posting you are doing just remind me what it said on your season ticket for the McNally years. On mine it had my name and said i was customer no 110***3.

I used to buy my lucozade in boots but I lost most of it through the laceholes before I got it home...
Why would a supporter not see things through the colour of that team? Is being impartial another customer thing?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Nutty all this customer v supporter posting you are doing just remind me what it said on your season ticket for the McNally years. On mine it had my name and said i was customer no 110***3.[/quote]
So yours had more stars than a binner shirt???
Whatever it may have said on my season ticket does not define me old boy...

[quote user="TIL 1010"]The AGM must be looming large on the horizon Smithy so just maybe we might get to see him then ? [/quote]Maybe he''s the norm at other clubs Tilly but after the two previous title holders being media tarts it''s weird waiting to hear even the sound of a lesser-spotted Jezzer never mind actually see one in the flesh.....[:D]

[quote user="Making Plans"]When someone is paid £10k, £20k or £30k a week it''s I suppose it''s not unreasonable to expect them to be capable of doing their job.[/quote]

Exactly. Film actors get paid millions and they''re all very capable, none are better than others and never has anyone been paid more than their talent deserves. Like MPs they''re remunerated very well and they''re all perfectly capable and excellent at their job every single day. Then there are the bankers. Brilliant. Paid millions, and every time they go to work they perform superbly because they are paid that much. No, never an off day in any other profession.

I''m unfortunate enough to have a crud job because I''m thick as the proverbial pigs. Even in my job there are people that get paid way more than me that aren''t fit to "lace my boots", who''d have ever believed it?

What. A. World.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Nutty all this customer v supporter posting you are doing just remind me what it said on your season ticket for the McNally years. On mine it had my name and said i was customer no 110***3.[/quote]
[/quote]Ah ! but that is how the club defined you or did your mate Stephen Graham give you a '' special '' ticket ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Nutty all this customer v supporter posting you are doing just remind me what it said on your season ticket for the McNally years. On mine it had my name and said i was customer no 110***3.[/quote]
[/quote]Ah ! but that is how the club defined you or did your mate Stephen Graham give you a '' special '' ticket ?[/quote]
''fraid not. He did say I had some ''special'' friends though...