Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

When did Norwich fans become so arrogant?

[quote user="morty"]Indy gets it.[/quote]

Unfortunately the customer/supporter argument is not so clear cut as Indy suggests.   If I buy tickets and buy things at the club shop -  I am a customer.But why do I do that?   Because I am a supporter. I''m a supporter first and a customer second.  I wouldn''t be a customer if I wasn''t a supporter. We are all supporters first and customers second.  The "customer" bit comes because we are supporters. If anyone asks you are you a customer or a supporter - you are a supporter. Hope that clarifies things.

Me and Indy get it, there was nothing to clarify.

Well done for sticking your beak in though.

🖒

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]I reckon the club would find a suitable seat for a supporter but ruthlessly move a customer.[/quote]Surprised they are missing a trick by letting supporters share season tickets. Depriving the club of revenue makes these sort of people casuals in my book.

Following Norwich through mediums that are free make you a supporter, and a bum on a seat in the ground makes you a paying customer second to following your passion to support the club. You can be a fan of the theater as NN says, but you''re still a statistic on a spread sheet to that business, which charges you and treats you as a customer.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"]Following Norwich through mediums that are free make you a supporter, and a bum on a seat in the ground makes you a paying customer second to following your passion to support the club. You can be a fan of the theater as NN says, but you''re still a statistic on a spread sheet to that business, which charges you and treats you as a customer.[/quote]

As I said earlier and that you seem to be saying too - we are supporters first, customers second.  The business side of the club may technically treat you as a customer, but that is only a technical definition.  If you ask anyone at the club if the people that go to the matches are supporters or customers, they will say "supporters".    

I''d say a supporter is someone who gets to a lot of games, as in "supporting" the team by way of cheering them on etc.

Everyone else is a follower, by way of following the team''s progress etc from afar.

I don''t think its arrogant to expect your team to play well and to their capabilities. I don''t think we have done that at all this season at home and have perhaps only done so two or three times away from home. I also don''t think its arrogant to say that of this group of players play well then they will beat most teams at this level.

Believe it or not if I think we''ve played well and results do not go our way then I can take that. What I find massively frustrating at the moment is that performances have been steadily below par and whilst we have been getting away with it somewhat it has been quite obvious that it will start to cost us at some point if not addressed. I accept we cannot play well in every game but I expect the games where we play badly to be the exception rather than the general rule. I do not feel that the management and the coaching staff are getting the best out of our squad at present.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]I''d say a supporter is someone who gets to a lot of games, as in "supporting" the team by way of cheering them on etc.

Everyone else is a follower, by way of following the team''s progress etc from afar.[/quote]The op was about arrogance. I think branding yourself a supporter "because you go to a lot of games" and others as "followers" because they only go to a few games for whatever reason - is as arrogant as it comes.  At the end of the day we are all supporters, whether we go to one game or fifty in a season.   You can say you are more active as a supporter if you go to more games, but we are all supporters, from the people that live across the world and hardly ever get to games, to the old or infirm who went all their lives to CR but are now unable to do so.

You''ve pompously lectured me there, with your usual tone of superiority - THAT''S about as arrogant as it comes.

Maybr you should play the post instead of the poster.

Anyone remember the old terrace song sung to the tune of ''Bread Of Heaven''?
Norwich Ciiiiiiiity, Norwich Ciiiiiiiity, We''ll be your customers evermore (evermore), We''ll be your customers evermore.....

[quote user="TCCANARY"]I''m a Priority Member but I''ve got a Supporter Number, been following City since 1970.

[/quote]Patrick McGeehan got it right in '' The Prisoner ''.........." I am a person, not a number "...... but it''s crucial that you now have to be supporter or a customer.Followers are SO last century...[;)]

[quote user="lake district canary"]I said what I thought, that''s all.

[/quote]
That''s not all. The thing is, Lakey, that you, as an occasional  attender of matches, have far more to say ( disproportionately )  on this forum about team performances/selections compared to many other who attend matches all the time. Hoola Han stated a reasonable perspective and you, feeling you were put in your place,  responded by calling him arrogant. If you didn''t feel you were put in your place you would not have responded in that manner.

Do I think I''m a better supporter because i go to more matches? No

Do I think you can''t follow the team if you don''t go to matches? No

Do I think I''m a better supporter than Lakey? No

Do I think I can offer a better perspective than those that don''t go to the matches? Yes

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"]I said what I thought, that''s all. [/quote]
That''s not all. The thing is, Lakey, that you, as an occasional  attender of matches, have far more to say ( disproportionately )  on this forum about team performances/selections compared to many other who attend matches all the time. Hoola Han stated a reasonable perspective and you, feeling you were put in your place,  responded by calling him arrogant. If you didn''t feel you were put in your place you would not have responded in that manner.
[/quote]

Good grief, let me remind you what he put then - "I''d say a supporter is someone who gets to a lot of games, as in "supporting" the team by way of cheering them on etc.

Everyone else is a follower, by way of following the team''s progress etc from afar."In other words, you are only a supporter if you attend a lot of matches. If you don''t, you are just a follower.  There is no other conclusion to be drawn from what he wrote.   It''s not about me, as much as you would like it to be, it''s about the thousands of Norwich fans all over the place who can''t get to many matches for what ever reason.  Hoola Han has now qualified what he has said, which is all well and good, but on here you can only go on what people write - and he wrote something I disagreed with and I said so.  Please think a bit more before posting, because you are wide of the mark - again.

From my own perspective I am a supporter, I genuinely love Norwich City, and they are in my blood, within that "framework" I have opinions on Norwich City and they are aired here as part of the discussion I have with fellow supporters. So as a supporter I am quite comfortable with saying that I have slowly come to the personal opinion that Alex Neil is not the man to lead us to the Premiership........

LDC, as long as you believe that you are a supporter, why should you give a flying fcuk what anybody else thinks.

[quote user="ricardo"]LDC, as long as you believe that you are a supporter, why should you give a flying fcuk what anybody else thinks.[/quote]

I don''t give a flying fig what people think about it.   However, I don''t like to see people setting themselves apart as being somehow better supporters than others. Those that are lucky enough to enjoy going to CR should be aware that they are lucky compared to those that can''t for whatever reason -  and that they are not better fans/supporters because of it.   Us exiles have a more limited access to the immediacy of actually being at matches, but the ones I have met over the years are just as passionate supporters as any season ticket holder.  Hats off to those that go to every game home and away, but we are all supporters, of whatever level.   Anyone that says otherwise (as Hoola Han Solo appeared to - he''s since qualified what he wrote) is just setting themselves apart from the majority who appreciate every supporter, however often they are able to go.  

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]From my own perspective I am a supporter, I genuinely love Norwich City, and they are in my blood, within that "framework" I have opinions on Norwich City and they are aired here as part of the discussion I have with fellow supporters. So as a supporter I am quite comfortable with saying that I have slowly come to the personal opinion that Alex Neil is not the man to lead us to the Premiership........[/quote]

I feel exactly the same Faded Jaded etc. Sometimes change has to happen for the greater good of the club. Judging when that time has come is not easy but as individual supporters we will all one way or the other come to a view.

Anyhow this daft supporter / customer debate is off topic, I totally disagree with the OP, the crowd is always good at the start of any match, full on support, as anywhere it dwindles with performance on the pitch.

Arrogant no, expectant yes, demanding certainly and why shouldn''t we demand maximum effort, organisation and passion from the manager & players, they are employees of the club and we should expect a certain level.

Not expect to win but at least try, if people want to boo a poor performance I have no issue with it, it''s not something I do but heck I''m glad others do as we are all different.

You could argue that 27,000 Nutty''s inside Carrow road would make for a very static club, win lose or draw, play bad, I could never see him do anything other than stand and clap the team off for wearing the yellow shirts, he''s a full on Supporter.

[quote user="lake district canary"].........Hats off to those that go to every game home and away, but we are all supporters, of whatever level.   Anyone that says otherwise (as Hoola Han Solo appeared to - he''s since qualified what he wrote) is just setting themselves apart from the majority who appreciate every supporter, however often they are able to go.

[/quote]Nutty might disagree there [;)]