Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

When did Norwich fans become so arrogant?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Serious question guys...

Are any of you customers going to Brighton on Saturday? If so which team will you be customering?[/quote]Count me in Nutty.I''ll be supporting the beer industry as we stagger round the various hostelries and '' customering '' - oh,er missus - the Amex turnstiles for good measure. Very pleasant it''ll be too....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]No Indy. I never leave before the end.

I don''t get why you seem to resent me being a supporter. I honestly thought you were too. You could have knocked me down with a feather when you told me you were just a customer....[/quote]

I don''t understand you said, quote - There''s only one nutty and I''ll let you into a little secret. I never even see the team go off let alone clap them.

So I''m under the assumption you leave early!

Anyhow, I''m a fan of the great team, of a fine city, I follow it and have done for many years, but I don''t class myself as a supporter as the club class me as a customer, I pay for the services they provide.

I''m off to London to see a show soon, traveling and paying but I''m not a supporter of that show, bit the same.

The club don''t give two pence who customer number xxxx is as long as they get the money in, but you know that.

I bet Bournemouth make their fans feel special

Why are we not Bournemouth?

Indy. That''s a little puzzle you''ll have to work out for your self. Up until Rotherham I missed all late goals even though I was there...

So the football in treat you the same as that London theatre? Really? Are you unlucky or am I just lucky to be treated like a supporter. I''m beginning to feel sorry for you. It galls me that they should treat you differently to me. Shall I put a word in for you?

[quote user="Indy"] but I don''t class myself as a supporter as the club class me as a customer, I pay for the services they provide.

I''m off to London to see a show soon, traveling and paying [/quote]perhaps football isn''t for you (or maybe the club just has it in for you)however I''m sure that there are plenty of places in London they let you "pay for the services they provide"perhaps that could be your new hobbythough I''m not too sure if you would still get 90mins .... though they might let you change ends halfway throughmustards

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Indy. That''s a little puzzle you''ll have to work out for your self. Up until Rotherham I missed all late goals even though I was there...

So the football in treat you the same as that London theatre? Really? Are you unlucky or am I just lucky to be treated like a supporter. I''m beginning to feel sorry for you. It galls me that they should treat you differently to me. Shall I put a word in for you?[/quote]

Don''t feel sorry for me nutty, it''s just a football club, once I die or decide not to attend matches then the next guy on the list will take over, same for you, the club won''t give a flying ..... that it''s not nutty or me paying anymore.

I''m happy with with my place in the club, I have no false tag labelling me.

Like you say we''re all different, I stay and applaud the team, I sing along with the Barclay, I get frustrated at the performance, I get to chat with friends at the game, it''s great.

I can''t help but worry Indy. Each and every one of you PUPs mean so much to me and it breaks my heart to see you so disconnected from our great club.

I worry about Tilly and Smiffy too. What''s going to happen when they''re Brightons customers on Saturday. When City score will they cheer? Or would that feel like celebrating the opposition''s goals.l? This customer status you''ve all suddenly got is certainly complicated that''s for sure.

But most of all I worry about your futures. If it takes only one defeat to move from supporter to customer what will happen to y''all if we lose the next three too? I''ve seen City on as many losing runs as winning ones so it could happen. Perhaps you could all become clients then. There''s certainly plenty of clients post on here....

according to my season ticket and, I have a ''supporter number''... does that mean I''m not a customer?

I''m happy, the club doesn''t do anything for me to be that close, perhaps you get a free sausage roll and hot chocolate, but me I get fleeced if I park at county hall, I get fleeced if I decide I want a piece of Norwich city merchandise, I get fleeced inside the ground as the cost for everything is 50% higher than it is outside the ground, I''m not really sure I am a supporter but I''m certainly a customer.

As I said I''m a follower and as big a fan as ever of my city team, but the club owners and status, no I don''t feel like a fan.

Even as far as the players now seem so disconnected with the fans, it''s a real change which to me happened round about 1992......

Agreed Indy, its not just inside the ground, the food and drink concessions outside the ground are just as expensive - £3.50 (or it may even be £4) for a so-called ''artisan'' sausage roll - WTF! As a result, Morrison''s does a roaring trade on match days.

I also had a sales call from the club yesterday wanting me to put more into the club to ''support the youth'', using the Murphys'' presence in the first team squad as an example of why I should be giving the club even more money.

I do appreciate that my club is a business as well as a passion.

That doesn''t stop me fretting I''m afraid Indy. How do you see Tilly and Smiffys predicament on Saturday? Are they Brightons customers or Norwich''s? It''ll be a right bugga if they''re in the ground not knowing who to cheer for..

I''m also really sorry to have to break some bad news to you. The County Hall Car Park is for Norwich City Supporters. I hope you mange to find an alternative that won''t involve too long a walk...

So do I, it''s gone past me assassination as a supporter, but a financial contributed to fund a massive ego of a footballer, who has taken my city, my club to become a commercial business first.

I don''t feel connected to the club but I do with my fellow fans, my friends, if others differ than great for them. Does that make me unhappy, nope it''s just different to how it was when I was younger.

[quote user="Indy"]I''m happy, the club doesn''t do anything for me to be that close, perhaps you get a free sausage roll and hot chocolate, but me I get fleeced if I park at county hall, I get fleeced if I decide I want a piece of Norwich city merchandise, I get fleeced inside the ground as the cost for everything is 50% higher than it is outside the ground, I''m not really sure I am a supporter but I''m certainly a customer.

As I said I''m a follower and as big a fan as ever of my city team, but the club owners and status, no I don''t feel like a fan.

Even as far as the players now seem so disconnected with the fans, it''s a real change which to me happened round about 1992......[/quote]You are being rather silly. Firstly county hall is nothing to do with the club. Other stuff is based on what the market will bear, as with transfer fees, wages and subscription tv..... which adds an awful lot into the club. That you chose to buy things is not the club''s fault, nor is the fact they do it on a business footing wrong.Football has changed. As has a lot of things. I remember buying stuff from the little hut round the back of the Barclay years ago. I expect I was a customer, just as I was when I bought a drink in the bar and bought a ticket for Mascot Coaches.I expect they were customers when they bought the stuff to sell to me. That''s how it works

[quote user="nutty nigel"]That doesn''t stop me fretting I''m afraid Indy. How do you see Tilly and Smiffys predicament on Saturday? Are they Brightons customers or Norwich''s? It''ll be a right bugga if they''re in the ground not knowing who to cheer for..

I''m also really sorry to have to break some bad news to you. The County Hall Car Park is for Norwich City Supporters. I hope you mange to find an alternative that won''t involve too long a walk...[/quote]

Sorry Nutty but it''s open to away fans too, so just another part of the business. I''ve seen all sorts fans park there, last week I walked along with a group of Preston customers to the city.

I''m afraid you bought your tickets from Norwich box office, not direct from Brighton so you''re still Norwich''s customers.

Still if you want that be supporter than great you say tomato, I say tomato! Let''s call the whole thing off!

So if the money went to Brighton via norwich''s box office they can still cheer for The City. That''s a relief....

But hold your horses Indy. What about if they buy beer, pies and pay to park their cars?

Oh and I''m sorry again but county hall is open to away supporters too. Not you customers and clients. It doesn''t say so anyway...

It''s simple, we just need to re-conceptualise our relationship to the club to take account of different times and a changing world. There''s something that "supporters" and "customers" have in common despite the avowed differences. I suggest we are all of us aficionados of NCFC:
aficionado:  a person who likes, knows about, and appreciates a usually fervently pursued interest or activity 
Exiles such as LDC unquestionably share this "fervently pursued interest" irrespective of the number of matches they can get to or the number of sausage rolls they can buy!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]That doesn''t stop me fretting I''m afraid Indy. How do you see Tilly and Smiffys predicament on Saturday? Are they Brightons customers or Norwich''s? It''ll be a right bugga if they''re in the ground not knowing who to cheer for.. [/quote]I''m touched by your concern Nutty but I wouldn''t fret unduly. After a long morning quaffing beer as a customer- ? or should that be supporter ? - of Brighton''s finest ales there''s a reasonable chance that even if I make it to the ground I''ll have my work cut out identifying which team is which.If I do get there the cherry on the cake is that I may be so blotto I''ll be seeing double of everything. Which will be twice the fun.....[;)]

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]It''s simple, we just need to re-conceptualise our relationship to the club to take account of different times and a changing world. There''s something that "supporters" and "customers" have in common despite the avowed differences. I suggest we are all of us aficionados of NCFC:
aficionado:  a person who likes, knows about, and appreciates a usually fervently pursued interest or activity 
[/quote]Re-conceptualise ? Sounds like Doomcaster-speak. Has he snuck back into his old chair with Jezza not being around much ?  [:^)]Aficionado. That sounds good. Can I double it up with the beer drinking ? [;)]

Agreed wholeheartedly with the original poster here. It is something I have thought of for a long time. Unfortunately it seems to be well ingrained now into a lot of fans and seems to be spreading. I think Social Media plays a big part in that lots of folk these days now have a forum where they can reach a lot of people including players and fellow supporters and spill vitriol from behind the safety of their keyboard and this is spilling on to the terraces.

Regarding the whole Customer/Fan thing: I think it has almost come to the point where football as a whole in this country needs to press the reset button. We are customers at the end of the day and to be honest get fleeced. I think the fact that we have to shell out so much to support a team contributes to the higher expectancy. Reduce the costs fans have to pay then the expectancy will also reduce and maybe the fans would perhaps be a little happier?

Well Nutty''s gone all pissy on us so here goes.......

OK as to the definition of a supporter we can all be tagged with that I suppose, anyone who follows City.

Go to watch a game and you are like it or not a customer, you may have delusions of grandure thinking you''re regarded as more by the club, but it''s a business and that''s it.

So let''s say the awful Wimbledon Scenario happened here and Norwich Delia & all as a club moved to King Lynn, would you still support the club?

Arrogant is deffinately the wrong word, demanding would be a more appropriate word to use.p, in my book.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]Customer/Supporter, how about Spectator?[/quote]Spectator implies just looking on, with no emotion necessarily attached to it.   We are all supporters, so maybe -"Paying supporter" would be an accurate description for match goers."Armchair supporter" for those that could, but don''t go to matches."Old or infirm supporters"for those that can''t go to matches anymore."Excluded supporters" for those that can''t afford to go to matches."Exiled supporter" for those who are a long way from home and can''t get to matches. "Spoiled brat supporters" for those that go to matches and boo at the slightest thing. "Deluded supporters" for those who think they are better than any other supporter.That just about covers it, or does it?

Paying Supporter, spending about £60 per game taking into account parking, pie & coffee on top of season ticket......Customer! :-)

I don''t really know why this "supporter" business has to be constantly analysed.

We''re all supporters. He that wears his season ticket credentials on his breast like some sort of military achievement is no more supporter than somebody in a far flung land who continues to take a fervent interest in the yellow and green .... despite having to overcome problems with time, geography and all the personal responsibilities that life throws up whether by design or otherwise.

I''ve personally, gradually denigrated from super supporter to plastic over the years. That''s the way it happens.

I''d love to put more money into the Club''s coffers as I get very good value supporting NCFC at the moment for very little outlay.

However, I cannot be arsed to travel long distances, take up the best part of a week-end and miss my game of golf for ninety minutes of football. That''s the way it is.

Should the day ever come whereby I can pay £20 to the club for an official and decent stream on a regular basis then I would gladly grasp the opportunity.

It will happen one day.

There are many, many more around like me than people think and we outnumber the Carrow Road faithful several times over.

There''s a small fortune to be tapped out there.